AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???  (Read 10374 times)

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 02:34:00 AM
    • Wikipedia
Re: What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2019, 02:08:23 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLP71byQO4

A 1985 News Clip from Washington State Spokane area as "Inland Empire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northwest

Yeah, the semi-arid area east of the Cascades has been called the "Inland Empire" since the early 20th century.

Though recently they've been trying to secede and call themselves the State of Liberty.

amroad17

• NYSDOT has decided--Community Grid (for now)

• Last Login: Today at 06:27:37 AM
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2019, 04:42:31 AM »

Here in Albany, it's the "Capital District" or you say you are from the city you are in (Albany, Schenectady, Troy).  If you are in a suburb, you say the "Albany area" to outsiders.

Here it's the "Finger Lakes region" (or "Western New York" or "Central New York"). Never "upstate".
Amen! (from a Syracuse area native).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

• NYSDOT has decided--Community Grid (for now)

• Last Login: Today at 06:27:37 AM
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2019, 04:58:48 AM »

After perusing this thread for near 15 minutes, I have a couple (please excuse if I list something already mentioned--trying to read 7 pages quickly)...

Where I live, Northern Kentucky, for the suburban area south of Cincinnati.
I have heard the term "Kentuckiana" on TV stations in the Louisville area.
The area of New York State from Bemus Point to Binghamton as the Southern Tier.
I have heard truckers on CB refer to the capital of Tennessee as "Crashville".
Centralia, PA as "Silent Hill".   :-D (just kidding)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:22 PM
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2019, 07:03:03 AM »

There is a sign in Birch Run on I-75 that was installed within the last 5 years or so that says GREAT LAKES BAY REGION on it. I guess that's the part of the Great Lakes we're in but the Saginaw Bay isn't the only Bay on the Great Lakes.

I consider it Mid-Michigan or Central Michigan.

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: Today at 08:57:45 PM
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2019, 07:46:17 AM »

I live in the Blackstone Valley, could be known as just the Valley, outsiders would just call this part of the larger Central Massachusetts or the Worcester area.

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 09:18:57 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »

Here in Albany, it's the "Capital District" or you say you are from the city you are in (Albany, Schenectady, Troy).  If you are in a suburb, you say the "Albany area" to outsiders.

Here it's the "Finger Lakes region" (or "Western New York" or "Central New York"). Never "upstate".
Amen! (from a Syracuse area native).
Do any of you use the term steamed hams?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

US 81

• Last Login: May 19, 2019, 07:28:37 AM
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2019, 07:59:26 AM »

Two notes on Texas:

The Trans-Pecos area is often called 'the wing-tip.'

San Antonio and Austin are 80mi apart within the Hill Country, and yet San Antonio is usually 'south Texas' and Austin is usually 'central Texas.' 

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:37:12 PM
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »

I live in the Blackstone Valley, could be known as just the Valley, outsiders would just call this part of the larger Central Massachusetts or the Worcester area.
I grew up in western MA.  Can't put my finger on exactly when people would use "Pioneer Valley" rather than "western MA." Both were quite common (e.g., PVTA), but there is some subtle contextual difference where someone would use one rather than the other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

frankenroad

• Last Login: Today at 03:42:51 PM
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »

I grew up in western MA.  Can't put my finger on exactly when people would use "Pioneer Valley" rather than "western MA." Both were quite common (e.g., PVTA), but there is some subtle contextual difference where someone would use one rather than the other.

My ex-wife is from Pittsfield.   That is definitely Western MA and NOT the Pioneer Valley.   

I would suggest that Western MA is divided into two parts - the Berkshires and the Pioneer Valley.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Rothman

« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »

My ex-wife is from Pittsfield.   That is definitely Western MA and NOT the Pioneer Valley.   

I would suggest that Western MA is divided into two parts - the Berkshires and the Pioneer Valley.

Well, of course Pittsfield is out in the boondocks and not in the Pioneer Valley.

I grew up in the Pioneer Valley, where people use both terms, but not always interchangeably.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 09:18:57 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »

Well, of course Pittsfield is out in the boondocks and not in the Pioneer Valley.

I grew up in the Pioneer Valley, where people use both terms, but not always interchangeably.
As someone from the northern part of Connecticut, I rarely heard Pioneer Valley when referring to the Springfield area, it was usually just lumped in as Western Mass.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

Rothman

« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »

As someone from the northern part of Connecticut, I rarely heard Pioneer Valley when referring to the Springfield area, it was usually just lumped in as Western Mass.
Probably more used north of the Holyoke Range.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever.

• Last Login: Today at 08:30:10 PM
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »

I can't believe this thread has made it this far without getting moved to a more appropriate board: Off-topic, or maybe Travel?
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!
Threads Started
Counties Clinched

X99

• Last Login: Today at 10:02:15 PM
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »

Area: South Dakota, everything west of the Missouri River
Outsiders call it: western South Dakota
Local name: West River

It's the same for the other side of the state: East River.

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 09:50:14 PM
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »

Everything north of WI-29 is generally the Northwoods. The southeast part of the state is just "Milwaukee". The Fox Valley is Oshkosh/Appleton/Green Bay.
As for other states, "Chicago" is a synonym of Illinois. Upper Michigan is "The UP", or Upper Peninsula.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.