AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: How far do your local radio stations go?  (Read 9100 times)

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 08:13:15 AM
Re: How far do your local radio stations go?
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:31 AM »

Sort of related, but it always seem like my local radio stations have a bigger range than out of town ones.
The only Boston station I can pickup here is WBZ. I know that transmitter is in Hull and designed to shoot most of the signal in the westward direction since going east would be over open water and pointless. Detroit is exactly due west of Boston so I get most of that signal at night.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 06:32:59 PM
    • New interstate plans
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »

Sort of related, but it always seem like my local radio stations have a bigger range than out of town ones.
The only Boston station I can pickup here is WBZ. I know that transmitter is in Hull and designed to shoot most of the signal in the westward direction since going east would be over open water and pointless. Detroit is exactly due west of Boston so I get most of that signal at night.
Oh I was talking about fm. Am radio has a huge range.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

Flint1979

« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »

Oh I was talking about fm. Am radio has a huge range.
There are some strong FM stations around here. 95.5 in Detroit is pretty strong, 98.5 in Houghton Lake is strong. One night a few weeks ago at about 2am I decided to try FM and see how far I could pick up stations. I was pulling 97.1, 94.7 and 101.1 out of Detroit in pretty strong. I'm about 100 miles northwest of Detroit.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 06:24:54 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »

I was surprised I kept hearing ESPN 710 out of Los Angeles all the way from Newhall Pass to Fresno two days ago.  That's about a good 200 miles north of Los Angeles which also happens to have a large number of coastal mountains in the way.

Gulol

• Last Login: Today at 12:42:48 PM
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »

Interesting one for me is that you can get KNX 1070 out of Los Angeles, albeit with a lot of interference, at night in the Denver Metro area.  If you're focused, you can pick up most of what's being said. 

Flint1979

« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:49 PM »

Interesting one for me is that you can get KNX 1070 out of Los Angeles, albeit with a lot of interference, at night in the Denver Metro area.  If you're focused, you can pick up most of what's being said.
That's a pretty hefty distance. I can pick up WSB in Atlanta up here in Michigan. I have got bits and pieces of KOA and WBAP. About 2am I had it on 850 and was trying to figure out where this station was at then I was shocked when I heard them mention KOA Denver at the top of the hour. That's about 1,000 miles from me.

The Nature Boy

• Last Login: August 15, 2019, 01:02:31 PM
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2019, 09:42:59 PM »

The two radio stations on Mount Washington can go as far west as Burlington, Vermont and as far south as Massachusetts. One of them claims to be heard into New York State but I don't know if this is true or not.

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: Today at 03:17:11 PM
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2019, 11:21:30 PM »

Out in Worcester you can easily hear WBZ 1030 and most of the Cape doesn't get Boston stations, but I will say that the Cape stations are fairly good.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 06:32:59 PM
    • New interstate plans
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »

The two radio stations on Mount Washington can go as far west as Burlington, Vermont and as far south as Massachusetts. One of them claims to be heard into New York State but I don't know if this is true or not.
They seem to fuzz out right at the MA border though.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

Flint1979

« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2019, 03:40:11 AM »

Out in Worcester you can easily hear WBZ 1030 and most of the Cape doesn't get Boston stations, but I will say that the Cape stations are fairly good.
WBZ's transmitter is in Hull and it is directional due to the open waters of the ocean being to the east which would be a waste of signal so it's directional towards the west. I can pick it up in Michigan at night with no problem.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 05:41:29 PM
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2019, 04:32:06 AM »

WBZ's transmitter is in Hull and it is directional due to the open waters of the ocean being to the east which would be a waste of signal so it's directional towards the west. I can pick it up in Michigan at night with no problem.

Boo! It could have been received in Europe due to its frequency (1030) being far apart from the valid ones: 1026 and 1035 (In Europe the AM band goes from 531 to 1610 in 9 khZ increments, as opposed to the 10 khZ used in the USA). However I don't know its output, so it may have not been possible. Most reports of transatlantic radio are for VOCM from St. John's, NL, Canada. Being a clear channel station on 590 (far from the European 586 and 595) and at the closest point of the Americas from Europe helps.
"Football", a quite ambiguous word for me. I assume "association" football instead of "American" football.

All times Eastern unless otherwise noted.

Flint1979

« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »

I finally got it to come in. Last night I was scrolling around the band and I had it on 850AM and was wondering what the heck channel is this because I heard two channels coming in together so I moved my car around a little bit and one of the channels started coming in better. It was near the top of the hour so I decided to wait for the top of the hour jingle to figure out which station it was. It was KOA in Denver and it was coming in with another station but KOA overpowered the other station after I started moving around. It was pretty cool to hear a station from that far away.

bing101

• Last Login: August 16, 2019, 12:25:32 AM
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »

KGO-AM San Francisco a 50kw station that could be heard on the Western portion of the USA at night.

Gulol

« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

That's a pretty hefty distance. I can pick up WSB in Atlanta up here in Michigan. I have got bits and pieces of KOA and WBAP. About 2am I had it on 850 and was trying to figure out where this station was at then I was shocked when I heard them mention KOA Denver at the top of the hour. That's about 1,000 miles from me.

Dang ... that is pretty far!  Must be something with that frequency or maybe the antenna for the station, which is perched in the town not too far from where I live (Parker, CO), was built on an old Indian burial ground or on some cosmic portal.  The first house I had near where the antenna is had the radio station come through loud and clear on our land line telephone almost to a point where the radio station was drowning out the person on the other end of the phone.  Took buying a special filter at a HAM radio store to plug in to the jack and eliminate that ... never did try and see if I could get the station through my toaster though!  :D

Flint1979

« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »

Dang ... that is pretty far!  Must be something with that frequency or maybe the antenna for the station, which is perched in the town not too far from where I live (Parker, CO), was built on an old Indian burial ground or on some cosmic portal.  The first house I had near where the antenna is had the radio station come through loud and clear on our land line telephone almost to a point where the radio station was drowning out the person on the other end of the phone.  Took buying a special filter at a HAM radio store to plug in to the jack and eliminate that ... never did try and see if I could get the station through my toaster though!  :D
I have KOA's antenna tower estimated to be around 6,000 feet above sea level. I also estimated that their reach covers just about the entire western half of the United States as well as parts of Canada and Mexico at night, during the day it's reach probably covers most of eastern Colorado all the way down into New Mexico and all the way up into Wyoming.

Yeah those filters work pretty good. I use to be a lot more heavily not quite as much anymore but use to be heavily into the CB radio and I even created override into my neighborhood coming through TV's and landline phones and stuff. I had a neighbor that complained so much that I actually went and bought them a filter to shut them up. I also went with another antenna after awhile that wasn't nearly as bad.

I guess KOA really is the blowtorch of the west. It's the only western U.S. station I've ever received here in Michigan. I've never even tried anything further west since I know it's probably not going to work. Are you able to get any of LA's stations or anything out there in Denver?

Gulol

« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »

During the winter and at night, I can get KNX 1070 out of Los Angeles.  If you can mentally filter out the static and interference from other stations, you can pick out what's being said. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.