AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The forum will be briefly unavailable for maintenance between 2:30 and 5 AM on Thursday October 24, 2019.

Author Topic: Tornado Sirens  (Read 588 times)

JMoses24

• Last Login: August 18, 2019, 09:03:58 PM
Tornado Sirens
« on: June 02, 2018, 07:58:56 PM »

Does your city or county have an outdoor tornado/civil defense warning siren system? If your city/county does, when do they test the system?

Here in Oklahoma City and surrounding cities, the outdoor sirens are checked with a silent test daily at 7am CT, and the audible tests occur every Saturday at noon CT. Doesn't matter if it's "in season" or not...they get checked. Of course, if severe weather is a threat on a particular Saturday, the audible test isn't done and the daily "silent" test is used to ensure proper operation.

Where I used to live in Cincinnati, Ohio, the sirens are checked monthly on the first Wednesday at noon unless bad weather threatens.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 11:17:34 AM
Re: Tornado Sirens
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »

No testing whatsoever in my area of Jersey. We still  have sirens, but they've mostly been used for volunteer firefighters, and those alerts have been replaced by pagers then phone alerts. One town nearby still sounds their siren at Noon daily, just because they've always done it.

If a siren did go off for an emergency, I don't think people here would have any clue what to do.

The High Plains Traveler

• Last Login: October 14, 2019, 06:47:43 PM
    • Unofficial Minnesota and New Mexico Highway Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »

Pueblo County Colorado only has them near the Pueblo Chemical Depot east of the city of Pueblo, to be activated in the unlikely event of a chemical release. I don't know what their testing protocol is. As you move down the Arkansas River valley, where tornadoes become more likely as you move away from the mountains, you start to see them (La Junta?). I don't think Colorado Springs has them either, but don't know about the Denver area. Denver and north is sort of a mini-tornado alley.

I remember them in the Twin Cities, and I think the test was first Wednesday of the month at 1:00 p.m. When I first moved there in the 1970s, it wasn't possible to isolate the zone that was activated, so our sirens would go off under a blue sky because of a tornado warning for a suburb 20 miles south of us. Later, activation was shifted over to the individual cities. Sometimes, in some cities the sirens would be activated for a strong thunderstorm that didn't have a reported tornado.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

GaryV

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:44 AM
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:56:23 AM »

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 11:31:58 AM
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:11:01 AM »

In northeastern Illinois, it's the first Tuesday of the month, at 10:00 am.  Everyone looks up when they hear them and checks the clock.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Screw the KSA; Stand with Canada.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 11:07:47 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »

Every Wednesday at Noon (except if the weather looks questionable)
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »

I canít say Iíve ever heard one, but my work is in the middle of nowhere and probably miles from the nearest one.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 10:04:15 AM
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »

My hometown had a Civil Defense siren that would get tested often, but I haven't heard it go off since the 1990s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Eth

• Last Login: Today at 10:33:52 AM
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:10 PM »

Ours is tested every Wednesday at 5 PM, provided it's a sunny day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.