Annual Florida Road Trip

Started by jdb1234, July 19, 2018, 11:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdb1234

Next week, I am headed to Marco Island to see family.  I have got the route down there figured out.

While I am down there I am going to visit Miami, and make the trip down to Key West.  Anyone have any advice for visiting Miami and Key West?  One thing I am planning to do is see the sunrise on an Atlantic beach.

Rothman

A sunrise is easy to see on an Atlantic beach.  Sunsets are harder to come by...but you can do that at Key West. :D

My kids and I liked the Hemingway House and heading out to the Dry Tortugas.

Beaches on the Keys are surprisingly lackluster, compared to the vast, flat beaches on the mainland.  Sombrero Beach was okay; Curry Hammock's was nearly nonexistent.  Everyone raves about Bahia Honda, though.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Bahia Honda is terrific plus you can walk onto the original US 1 bridge there.

A quiet place to get a Key West sunset is on FL AIA west of the airport where there is parking and beaches on the south/southwest shore

Max Rockatansky

Check out old Florida 4a in the Keys if you get a chance.  There are so many segments that are very distinct from US 1 especially in the Lower Keys.  Boca Chica Key in particular has a really interesting abandoned segment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.