AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Railroad Crossing  (Read 277 times)

Amtrakprod

• In support of an all flashing yellow arrow USA!

• Last Login: Today at 09:08:24 AM
    • Amtrak Productions
Railroad Crossing
« on: May 26, 2019, 07:53:05 AM »

Here’s a chat for grade crossings, anything interesting or cool.

iPhone
Roadgeek, and crossing signal fan. In support of an all flashing yellow arrow USA! Massachusetts based, California in spirit. Go San Clemente Tritons! Stop CHSR! Save Amtrak! Avid Cyclist!

Amtrakprod

• Amtrak Productions
Re: Railroad Crossing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:54:21 AM »

Here’s a typical Massachusetts crossing

iPhone
Roadgeek, and crossing signal fan. In support of an all flashing yellow arrow USA! Massachusetts based, California in spirit. Go San Clemente Tritons! Stop CHSR! Save Amtrak! Avid Cyclist!

Ian

• Last Login: Today at 02:29:56 AM
    • My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 03:59:28 AM »

Here's an example not too far from where I grew up that I always found intriguing, though I'm sure there are similar cases that exist elsewhere. The intersection of PA 420 and Morton Avenue in Morton, PA has SEPTA's Media/Elwyn regional rail line running right through it. There are exclusive right/left turn lanes to/from PA 420 to South Morton Ave respectively, complete with traffic signals including right/left green arrows. Below are GSV links to the signals in question.

South Morton Avenue's signals

PA 420's signals

What I find interesting about these turn signals, is that they're only lit when a train is passing through the intersection. There is no advanced green for the left turn arrow for NB 420 traffic, nor is there a green arrow for Morton Avenue's counterpart during normal operation. The arrows are strictly used for railroad preemption, as turning traffic does not interfere with the crossing.
-Ian L
Youtube l Flickr

Amtrakprod

• Amtrak Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »

Here's an example not too far from where I grew up that I always found intriguing, though I'm sure there are similar cases that exist elsewhere. The intersection of PA 420 and Morton Avenue in Morton, PA has SEPTA's Media/Elwyn regional rail line running right through it. There are exclusive right/left turn lanes to/from PA 420 to South Morton Ave respectively, complete with traffic signals including right/left green arrows. Below are GSV links to the signals in question.

South Morton Avenue's signals

PA 420's signals

What I find interesting about these turn signals, is that they're only lit when a train is passing through the intersection. There is no advanced green for the left turn arrow for NB 420 traffic, nor is there a green arrow for Morton Avenue's counterpart during normal operation. The arrows are strictly used for railroad preemption, as turning traffic does not interfere with the crossing.
That's interesting. I've never seen that before.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 10:24:26 AM
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »

Here's a neat one I just happened upon the other day, on Pioneer Road in an industrial area of western Salt Lake City.

The road traffic is controlled by traffic signals, which isn't too far out of the ordinary. But what's fascinating is it looks like even the train traffic is controlled by standard traffic signals, which I've never seen before.
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86west 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.