AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone here ever been the victim of a crime?  (Read 2201 times)

slorydn1

• If I pass you on the right, you're doing it wrong.

• Last Login: May 18, 2019, 01:56:21 AM
Re: Has anyone here ever been the victim of a crime?
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 03:24:06 AM »

I was robbed 3 times during all those years I delivered pizza's. The first time, in the early 90's I was working for Domino's. I had a real turd for a car then and it was constantly breaking down. I had just finished two deliveries downtown (one to the jail, ironically enough) when my car broke down in front of the old Pak-A-Sak on East Front St. I had just used the pay phone (remember those?) to call my store to let them know of my predicament and went back to my car. I was messing with something under the hood when I heard a male voice say "hey you." I looked up and I was surrounded by several black male subjects and the one in front of me had a knife. He told me that I knew what time it was and to hand "it" over. I gave him all the money I had on me and the whole group took off. They were never caught. This was in broad daylight by the way.

The second time, also during the day, right after I started dispatching for the sheriff's office, I was working for Pizza Hut as a side job. I delivered to an apartment complex in one of the not so nice parts of town, but a place I had never had issues with before. The customer and I had just completed the transaction when what appeared to be a young teenaged black male came up beside me and did the old stick his hand in his pocket and point something at me trick. Little did he know that I had been observing him the entire time I was at the door and I saw him stick his empty hand in his sweatshirt pocket right before he walked up to me. He told me he wanted all of my money or I was going to get it. I convinced him that the customer paid with a check and if he wanted money he needed to come back to my truck with me so he could "get it". He complied.
I reached into my truck to get my "wallet" and imagine his surprise when I came out with a 6 inch .357 magnum and my cell phone (one of those ancient humongous bag phones that I had mounted in my car like a car phone).
I proned him out on the ground and called the local PD to come take out the trash. It turns out he was only 14 or 15, so he didn't get any jail time. I am sure he needed a change of underwear, though.

The 3rd time was the scariest. It was October 2005, right before my birthday and I was back delivering pizzas as a side job again. I was in another not so great neighborhood with a double delivery, and this one was at night. Both were on the same street. The first one went off without a hitch. The second one, I was having a lot of trouble finding the address, nothing in this neighborhood is marked worth a damn. I had just looped around a second time going back towards the first customer as the second address should have been really close to the first one. I saw 1 black male subject standing at the end of a driveway, I didn't notice them the first time. He was wearing hoodie and he started waiving me down, so I stopped short and asked if this was (whatever the number was) and he said "yes".

I stepped out of the car with the bag and looked at the ticket and realized I had made a mistake, I had given the drinks for this order to my first customer. I always kept a couple of extra 2 liters of the various kinds of soda we carried then in my trunk for just such an emergency. I read off the ticket while I was pulling the pizza's out of the bag and started to hand him the pizzas when a second black male subject started to walk up to me from the side. That made me feel uncomfortable so I started inching backwards towards my trunk (I was still at my open drivers door this whole time). I was telling the guy in front of me that I needed to get his soda out of my trunk when he set the pizza's down on my hood and drew a semi auto pistol and the second guy grabbed my left arm and went to shove me against the side of my car. I still had my gun hand free and I was carrying concealed, but really its pointless to draw on a drawn gun you will lose 90% of the time. I then heard multiple sets of foot steps running up from behind me and as I was shoved against the car they were now to my right and there were 3 more black male subjects running up-this last group seemed to be really young, like middle school to early high school aged (I was right, they were freshman).

They wanted all of my money but I told them I wasn't reaching for anything with that gun pointed at me, that my "bank" money was in my right front pocket and my wallet was in my right rear pocket. I had a bunch of coin change in my left front pocket if they wanted that too. The 3 little squirts shook me down while the second adult was holding me against the car. They messed up and got my credential case from the sheriff's office out of my right rear pocket and missed the wallet with all of the cash in it and took off running. The guy that had been holding me reached inside my car and shut it off and took my car keys, then ordered me into the car. They told me if I twitched in the next 30 seconds I would be dead, then they took off running. This was their undoing.

As a supervisor in the sheriff's office I was issued a portable 2 way radio even though I wasn't a sworn deputy.I had the radio on the front seat of my car. I drew my firearm and called in that I had just been involved in a "10-65  (armed robbery) just occurred" on the radio providing a full description of all 5 suspects and their direction of travel into the woods. I also advised responding units that I was armed with my side arm and I was running after them in that same general direction (I was BEYOND pissed and not thinking real clearly at that moment).

Everyone heard my radio call. I had units from 3 different departments swarming around me in less than 3 minutes-and yes those 3 minutes felt like 3 hours.

To make the long story short, we caught the 2 main actors (adults) in less than 20 minutes. They dime'd out the other 3 punks and they were dragged out of school in hand cuffs the next day. They said they all knew they were screwed when they went to open the wallet and found it wasn't a wallet but a credential case with my badge and ID (we had badges too, the difference was mine said Dispatcher where a sworn deputy's badge would say "Deputy Sheriff" on the banner).

This is what makes it the scariest of all. They guy that pulled the gun on me ended up murdering someone in another county less than a year later while he was out on bond for my robbery. I found out about that because our captain in charge of investigations pulled me into his office to tell me about it. To this day I wish I had been in a better tactical situation when the robbery went down, I might have been able to prevent someone else from being murdered down the road. I also know it's stupid to think that way but it is what it is I guess.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 08:50:51 PM
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »

This is what makes it the scariest of all. They guy that pulled the gun on me ended up murdering someone in another county less than a year later while he was out on bond for my robbery. I found out about that because our captain in charge of investigations pulled me into his office to tell me about it. To this day I wish I had been in a better tactical situation when the robbery went down, I might have been able to prevent someone else from being murdered down the road. I also know it's stupid to think that way but it is what it is I guess.

Wow...this puts most any of my crimes to shame. You can't look into the future and tell what someone else will do, even if they are a worthless cretin.

You've also scared me out of ever delivering pizzas again, though the store I worked at intentionally didn't use car-roof signs, to deter robberies.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 09:17:36 PM
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »

Back in the spring of 1977, I was living in an older house in Palo Alto (CA), which my roommate had rigged up with magnetic latches on the old wooden sash-type windows and foil tape on the glass itself to form a full house-wide loop with an alarm that would go off (and dial the local cops) if the loop was broken.  Being an audiophile, I had (at '77 prices) a couple thousand dollars' worth of gear in my room, occupying a board/brick setup near a window.  Well -- I was victim to a "snatch & run"; someone broke the window and tape and set off the alarm (I was notified at work); they got what they could in likely about 15-30 seconds and got the hell out of there -- luckily nothing really valuable was near the window; they got an old cassette deck I was using to make tape copies (didn't get my good Akai) and a small handheld cassette player sitting on the shelf next to it.  Probably worth $25 for both at stolen/street prices.  Got lucky on that one; put bars on the windows the next week. 

In_Correct

• Last Login: Today at 05:27:24 PM
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »

Anyone ever been stolen from, burglarized, assaulted, or otherwise victimized by a lawbreaker?

Yes, I have been victimized many times. And each of those times the people either knew me or tried to get to know me. Or when they are in a position of power of which they abuse.

The only time a complete random stranger that tried to attack within seconds of arriving was at a rest area: a woman bumming for money. I called her bluff be cause after she said her wallet fell down the storm drain, I asked her what it looked like. She clarified that she wanted money, not help looking for it. I said that I am out of gas for my self, and that remark seemed to be enough to make her go away.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: May 15, 2019, 04:19:33 PM
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »

Credit card skimmed by an otherwise nice coffee shop husband-and-wife team.

https://www.arlnow.com/2017/10/18/caffe-aficionado-credit-card-fraud-suspect-pleads-guilty/

US 81

• Last Login: May 19, 2019, 07:28:37 AM
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »

Some experiences I'd rather not discuss, but I will share this one: Years (twentyfive or so) ago, my boring old sedan (along with several other cars at the apartment complex where we lived) was broken into. I had an in-car stereo with a removable face-plate, which was with me in our apartment at the time. They damaged but did not entirely break the stereo - I was able to re-mount the face-plate but no longer able to remove it. They also got the two 12-packs of DIET Mountain Dew I had in the trunk.

I sometimes had a chuckle imagining the vandal's disappointment when they realized it was diet soda.

inkyatari

• Widen I-80 through all of Illinois!

• Last Login: May 23, 2019, 05:21:25 PM
    • Pie Factory Podcast - Classic Arcade gaming talk
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Credit card skimmed by an otherwise nice coffee shop husband-and-wife team.

https://www.arlnow.com/2017/10/18/caffe-aficionado-credit-card-fraud-suspect-pleads-guilty/

I love this comment on the page...

G Clifford Prout • a year ago

Coffee cooker Clark caught cloning counterfeit credit cards,
coincidentally, conspiring cohort "Carol" copying cards concurrently.
Cops cuff café charge card criminals, close caffeine concession.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2018, 01:29:47 PM »

Diet Mountain Dew is an acquired taste.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 09:17:36 PM
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »

............with a hell of a lot more caffeine than most other sodas!  If the burglars binge-drank the stuff, they'd be staying up all night -- hopefully not devising more efficient ways to carry on their nefarious activities!

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 10:57:37 PM
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »

this last group seemed to be really young, like middle school to early high school aged (I was right, they were freshman).

Short little punks scare me way more than big burly dudes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 03:01:41 PM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2018, 08:56:58 AM »

I had an incident with an armed man last week at work.

Nexus 5X

This signature has been censored by the AARoads Bureau of Morality.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:42 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »

I had my van broken into about 15 years ago. Lost my best SCA costume and half my merchandise.  About 6 years ago, I had my storage locker broken into and lost  a bunch of merchandise, but no personal items (which were cleverly hidden, anyway).
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

paulthemapguy

• That's not how it works...

• Last Login: Today at 09:49:22 PM
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »

I was in a hit-and-run accident.  On my 16th birthday.  No, I was not driving, and it wasn't my fault.  I was car #3 in a 4-car sandwich. 

WTF?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhQf3nW
Source Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHskFU42pF
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

Let's make the forum space a good time for everyone.

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »

WTF?
I hated it the first time I had it, but it was the only diet soda the law firm I worked for about a decade ago kept stocked in the fridge other than Diet Coke, so eventually, I liked it OK, I guess.  I still prefer regular Mountain Dew, and really prefer Mountain Dew Throwback.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:42 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »

WTF?
I hated it the first time I had it, but it was the only diet soda the law firm I worked for about a decade ago kept stocked in the fridge other than Diet Coke, so eventually, I liked it OK, I guess.  I still prefer regular Mountain Dew, and really prefer Mountain Dew Throwback.

One store here sells single cans. A couple stores sell it in the bottle WHEN they have it.
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Diplomat of Solid Sound

• Last Login: Today at 08:35:32 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »

We had an armed robber come through our neighborhood today. He was caught a couple of miles down the road from my house.
(no, he did NOT target our residence)
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/person-of-interest-in-custody-after-series-of-burglaries-near-sunbury/1653343327
https://www.10tv.com/article/man-arrested-following-garage-break-ins-delaware-county
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:51:46 PM by Hot Rod Hootenanny »
SAVE AAROADS!! ONLY TALK ABOUT ROADS!

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 10:30:36 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »

Clinched

Traveled, plus:
US ⒉⒔50
MA ⒐22.40.99.10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚127.141.159
NH 27,111A; NY 366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT 32

Flickr

kevinb1994

• Your local source of road-related information.

• Last Login: Today at 08:28:25 PM

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Diplomat of Solid Sound

• Last Login: Today at 08:35:32 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »

SAVE AAROADS!! ONLY TALK ABOUT ROADS!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.