AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows 10 october update glitches  (Read 1508 times)

D-Dey65

• Last Login: April 06, 2019, 10:04:02 PM
Re: Windows 10 october update glitches
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

I did the update a few weeks ago. Amazingly, no bugs. More amazingly, a few minor bugs before the update were gone (very minor - but nonetheless now gone).
Were you able to restore any apps? Because it looks like I'm going to have to do that.

Oh, well. If I can't log back onto here or any other website, you can blame it on Microsoft.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:00:31 PM by D-Dey65 »

SectorZ

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 04:56:57 PM
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »

I did the update a few weeks ago. Amazingly, no bugs. More amazingly, a few minor bugs before the update were gone (very minor - but nonetheless now gone).
Were you able to restore any apps? Because it looks like I'm going to have to do that.

Oh, well. If I can't log back onto here or any other website, you can blame it on Microsoft.

I didn't lose any apps if that's what you're asking. Anything I had still works fine, and a tiny bug in Excel went away with the update.

I feel your pain though. These massive updates are like digital Russian Roulette. They need to dial them back to once a year at this point. There is such little change per update for such a massive hassle. Personally I've lucked out with all the updates but that doesn't make me a fan of them.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 08:09:07 AM
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »

BSOD errors led me to discover that the October update had never been installed.

Not sure what's worse now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 02:24:14 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:00 AM »

Meanwhile, on Linux, we do major .0 version updates every six months and it's trivial.

For Windows 11, Microsoft needs to scrap everything, every DLL, every library, every API, start fresh, and incorporate it all into a RPM/DEB style package manager. That way if some app requires kadfklasdvfasd.dll v.1.1.3 and another requires v.1.0.0 then the conflict can get resolved before you start overwriting files. Bonus points if you can upgrade the OS kernel without requiring a reboot (of course you have to reboot to switch to the new kernel, but Linux allows you to keep executing the old kernel until you choose to initiate the reboot yourself).

vdeane

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 07:45:07 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »

It's amazing how much easier updates are on Linux.  I can do a full check/download/install in far less time than it takes Windows to notice there are even any updates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2019, 08:50:27 PM »

I'm still trying to sign back onto everything, but I still have to tell Dell about my defective monitor.

D-Dey65

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 01:41:09 AM »

Well, this update has proven to cause some of the same problems, and the only difference is I was able to save many of my files.  Unfortunately, many of my passwords are missing, and so are a lot of my programs. So once again, fuck you, Microsoft!

kphoger

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 04:54:55 PM
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 02:03:34 PM »

A Windows 10 update a while ago tanked my internet on my work computer.  Whenever I lock down the VPN for one of our partners' applications, I have no more access to either the internet or even the applications I get to by way of the VPN.  My PC says I still have internet access, but I don't.  I manually uninstalled a few updates and then it worked for a while.

Then, after it stopped working again later, I tried to go back to a previous build of Windows 10.  But I couldn't do that, because Windows 10 only offers that as an option if it's within ten days of the update, and it took longer than 10 days before my work-around stopped working-around.  So then I began manually updating all updates every couple of days, but that only worked for about a week.  Now I simply have no work-around at all, and I had to dust off an old laptop to use for that instead.  My work computer now has two computers, three monitors, two keyboards, and two mice.  To transfer files from the laptop (with VPN access) to the desktop (where I do all my real work), I attach them to an e-mail draft on the laptop and then drag them off the e-mail on my desktop to whatever folder they need to go in.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 11:41:07 PM
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »

The lone Windows 10 PC in the house often has difficulty connecting to its assigned wifi network when all other devices--smartphones, tablets, PCs--have no trouble at all.  The only fix we have found is to power-cycle the router, which inconveniences multiple devices to accommodate just one.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »

The lone Windows 10 PC in the house often has difficulty connecting to its assigned wifi network when all other devices--smartphones, tablets, PCs--have no trouble at all.  The only fix we have found is to power-cycle the router, which inconveniences multiple devices to accommodate just one.

Do you have a dual-band router?  If so, I would recommend assigning your PC to the 5 GHz band while leaving most of the other devices assigned to the 2.4 GHz band—assuming it's not across the house from your router.  If that doesn't work, you could try hard-wiring it via ethernet.

J N Winkler

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »

Do you have a dual-band router?  If so, I would recommend assigning your PC to the 5 GHz band while leaving most of the other devices assigned to the 2.4 GHz band—assuming it's not across the house from your router.  If that doesn't work, you could try hard-wiring it via ethernet.

Yes, we have dual-band with spectrum allocation, and I have had a hard line to my own PC (still running Windows 7) for years.  The problem PC (only one in the house with Windows 10) is single-band (2.4 GHz only) and is used on wifi networks outside the home, so the inconvenience of plugging it back in and choosing an Ethernet connection every time it comes home would be about the same as power-cycling the router.

I confess my previous post was a plus-one about Microsoft breaking stuff that used to work quite well, and still does with previous versions of the OS.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »

Does it also have problems connecting to Wi-Fi networks outside your home?

J N Winkler

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »

Does it also have problems connecting to Wi-Fi networks outside your home?

It is used mainly with an office network and usually doesn't have problems connecting.  The router at home is a consumer-grade Linksys E4200 purchased in 2012.  One possible fix I haven't tried yet is to soft-reboot the router (possible through the Web interface) rather than power-cycling it.

The problem occurs at irregular intervals and does not crop up every time the PC comes home and reconnects.  It takes the form of an attempt to associate with the router that never ends.  I have wondered if there is some sort of cache management issue on the router end that the other devices handle just fine but Windows 10 does not.

kphoger

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder if it's not Windows 10–related at all.  Might be the PC or the router.

J N Winkler

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder if it's not Windows 10–related at all.  Might be the PC or the router.

It is a case where two devices are expected to communicate with each other and fail to do so.  I am discinlined to blame the router when every other device connects to it without difficulty.  I do see how it could be an issue related to the wireless adapter or its driver.

On my own Windows 7 PC, I have discovered that Windows will offer driver updates that have the effect of breaking existing functionality.  A few months ago, Windows Update offered (as an optional update) a new driver for the USB hub, which was working just fine.  When I installed it, the hub stopped working--would not see any devices plugged into it, etc.  I rolled back to the older driver and the sun came out, birds started singing, etc.

Unrefusable updates are the main reason I prevented my Windows 7 PC from upgrading to Windows 10, and I feel I dodged a bullet by doing so.  The problem PC had Windows 10 as a preload.

kphoger

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 02:03:42 PM »

Unrefusable updates

Oh man, I got so tired of going through the process of uninstalling updates line by line, then restarting the PC, and it automatically installing updates upon restart.   :banghead:

J N Winkler

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 04:00:07 PM »

Oh man, I got so tired of going through the process of uninstalling updates line by line, then restarting the PC, and it automatically installing updates upon restart.   :banghead:

There are apparently workarounds for blocking Windows 10 updates, but it is a bit of a defensive-offensive seesaw.  I have heard of attempts to block updates by adding the update servers to the HOSTS file failing because there are apparently pre-configured system tasks which run automatically every so often to check that the local Windows 10 installation meets standards for a "current" copy of Windows 10.

My own strategy is to sit on Patch Tuesday updates for at least a week before installing them, just to give time for news reports of big problems to reach me before I set my own system on fire.  For my relatively low-risk use pattern, the risk of losing functionality I use every day is greater than falling victim through an unpatched zero-day vulnerability.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.