AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Butte County fire swells to 5,000 acres, evacuations ordered  (Read 846 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:58 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
Re: Butte County fire swells to 5,000 acres, evacuations ordered
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/20/669855868/california-camp-fire-death-toll-reaches-81-says-fire-authorities

Update 81 people dead in the Butte County fires

Wonder how the heavy rains starting today are going to affect the fire containment effort.  Supposedly much of the Central Valley is getting an .5-1 inches tonight, I would have to assume it would be more in the Sierra Foothills. 

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 10:02:48 PM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »

Heavy rains can lead to mudslides, since the loss of mature and rooted trees can destabilize the soil. Would complicate things further.

Desert Man

• Last Login: March 01, 2019, 09:57:16 AM
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »

Fortunately, I had relatives on my Mom's side in Paradise and they moved out in the 1980s. Still, it's sad to know the town with a nice name is destroyed. This is like the wildfire in the Coffey Park section of Santa Rosa in Oct 2017. And conspiracy theorists (LOL) don't seem to understand basic science when it comes to the nature of wildfires, my father was a CalFire fighter and he studied their mechanisms in order to extinguish fires (building and wilderness).

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:58 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »

Some recent news stories are covering that PG&E is admitting that a utility failure was the cause of the Camp Fire.  Iíve seen the death toll either at 85 or 86, Iím not really sure which one is accurate.  Paradise Depot was scheduled to reopen last month but Iím not sure if it did.  The Depot wasnít open when I crossed paths with CA 191 last month:

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/03/california-state-route-191.html

BTW itís pretty ominous seeing how much this fire escalated through just the posts in this thread. 

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 06:22:29 PM
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »

Google Earth (note: not Google MapsóI thought Maps did too, but they either reverted to older images, or I was mistaken) now has post-fire aerial imagery of Paradise and the surrounding area. It's pretty chilling to look at.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.