AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Texas Urban Road designation to be removed  (Read 618 times)

wxfree

• Last Login: October 10, 2019, 02:37:06 PM
Texas Urban Road designation to be removed
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:22 PM »

Quoth the minute order:
"Minute Order 105686, dated June 27, 1995, established a subdivision of the state highway system classified as the Urban Road (UR) system. The order provided that Farm to Market (FM) or Ranch to Market (RM) roadways within urbanized areas with populations of 50,000 or more were eligible for the UR designation and certain FM and RM roads were redesignated as Urban Roads.

The provisions of Minute Order 105686 were never implemented by the Texas Department of Transportation (department). The UR designation was not reflected in any roadway inventory database and no UR signs were erected. Neither the department nor the public adopted the UR designation into common usage. The only system which presently references the UR designation is the departmentís highway designation files website. Maintaining those UR designations causes confusion because the files reference the cancellation of FM and RM roadway designations which are still active."

It then has a list of URs divided by district and a description of them.  It isn't stated explicitly, but presumably all of them will officially become part of the FM/RMs they were before.  This hasn't been approved yet, but by the time a matter gets to the commission as a proposed minute order, it's usually a foregone conclusion.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/commission/2018/1115/4.pdf
All of my posts represent my personal opinions and the official views of any governmental agency that has good sense.

Road Hog

• Last Login: October 18, 2019, 06:22:59 PM
Re: Texas Urban Road designation to be removed
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »

Iím familiar with a number of these roads and never had a clue they had ever been designated as URs. A nothingburger from the start.

txstateends

• Location: north TX, not far from an interstate interchange and a US terminus
  • Last Login: June 05, 2019, 11:30:28 AM
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:06:31 AM »

I've wondered before why TX didn't consider converting the more urban FMs/RMs to primary state roads, if local officials and/or TxDOT districts wanted to continue having a designation on any of them at all.  It wouldn't be that big a deal, and it's not like TX is running out of primary route numbers anytime soon.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

kphoger

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 02:26:50 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »

Quoth the minute order:
"... no UR signs were erected. ..."

Not quite...

Almost true.  The city of Victoria had actually already gotten around to putting one UR-1315 sign up on Salem Road, but it was later replaced.  Alas, I cannot find a picture of it anywhere;
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

wxfree

• Last Login: October 10, 2019, 02:37:06 PM
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »

As a formality, it should be noted that this minute order was passed and is numbered 115371.  That number will soon appear in the FM/RM designation files of the roads affected.

As an interesting (to me) note, aside from the lack of signage and recognition, the system was already broken.  FM 1187 was changed to UR 1187 for the entire section east of US 377.  An old portion of that route was changed to BF 1187, a business route of the FM system.  Since there is (was) no Business UR system, a bypassed section of this UR was changed to a business route for a different system.  Also, FM 1960 was changed to UR when there was already a BF 1960, separating that business route from its parent.  The new minute order will correct these breaks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:04:05 PM by wxfree »
All of my posts represent my personal opinions and the official views of any governmental agency that has good sense.

Brian556

• Last Login: October 18, 2019, 10:50:12 PM
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:39:41 PM »

Yet another example of going back to the old way because it was better

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.