AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: What happened to the handle?  (Read 1329 times)

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 09:06:25 AM
Re: What happened to the handle?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

I never really got the huge aversion to "no problem" some people seem to have. I think it's mostly in the minds of stodgy, tie-wearing fucks that don't actually do any work and don't understand that literally nobody under the age of thirty (hell, could be thirty-five or forty at this point) is going to find it objectionable.

This mindset is the same way I view literally all responses to "thank you" or "appreciate it". None of them are supposed to be taken literally. Same way that "bless you" isn't supposed to be a religious reference. These sayings have no modern meaning other than "I acknowledge you". I followed Marriott guidelines to avoid warnings but I never felt like anyone really cared, because no one ever felt like "no problem" implied "was a problem".
Avid user of bit.ly. I would never post malicious links, but if you'd like to verify my links for peace of mind, feel free to use either of these sites. Thanks!

https://wheregoes.com/
http://getlinkinfo.com/

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: Today at 02:21:37 PM
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »

They mean the same. "You're welcome to my assistance" vs. "my assistance is no problem".
Florida route log | pre-1945
I will do my best to not make America hate again.
Global warming denial is barely worse than white privilege denial.

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »

Around here, I've noticed that "Thank you" is losing ground to " 'preciate it".
Soon it will be truncated to "preesh," mark my words.

abefroman329

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »

Same way that "bless you" isn't supposed to be a religious reference.
As a response to someone sneezing, you mean.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 11:33:29 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »

I never really got the huge aversion to "no problem" some people seem to have. I think it's mostly in the minds of stodgy, tie-wearing fucks that don't actually do any work and don't understand that literally nobody under the age of thirty (hell, could be thirty-five or forty at this point) is going to find it objectionable.

This mindset is the same way I view literally all responses to "thank you" or "appreciate it". None of them are supposed to be taken literally. Same way that "bless you" isn't supposed to be a religious reference. These sayings have no modern meaning other than "I acknowledge you". I followed Marriott guidelines to avoid warnings but I never felt like anyone really cared, because no one ever felt like "no problem" implied "was a problem".

They mean the same. "You're welcome to my assistance" vs. "my assistance is no problem".

Right, which is why I feel like any business worth their salt should make the people that wear ties actually go out and do some work every once in a while instead of just sitting in the office rotating the tires on their spreadsheets. Clintvale G. H. J. Combwater VI, Esq., Adjunct Senior Vice President of Marketing, Third Class, might learn a thing or two if he talks to a customer for thirty seconds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:41:38 PM by Scott5114 »

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 02:31:14 PM
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »

Clintvale G. H. J. Combwater VI, Esq., Adjunct Senior Vice President of Marketing, Third Class

I think you're just making that person up.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 11:33:29 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »

Clintvale G. H. J. Combwater VI, Esq., Adjunct Senior Vice President of Marketing, Third Class

I think you're just making that person up.

Are you sure? Here's a picture of him getting on the Internet.

abefroman329

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »

I don't use "my pleasure" because 1) I try not to lie and 2) it reminds me too much of the bots that run Chick-Fil-A.
At the risk of speaking favorably about anything having to do with Chick-fil-A, at least "my pleasure" probably has its origins in the Spanish con gusto, which translates to "with pleasure."

Though if you get "pleasure" from handing me a packet of Hula Sauce or whatever it's called, well, congrats on being easily pleased.

kphoger

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »

I don't use "my pleasure" because 1) I try not to lie and 2) it reminds me too much of the bots that run Chick-Fil-A.
At the risk of speaking favorably about anything having to do with Chick-fil-A, at least "my pleasure" probably has its origins in the Spanish con gusto, which translates to "with pleasure."

Though if you get "pleasure" from handing me a packet of Hula Sauce or whatever it's called, well, congrats on being easily pleased.

I'm a huge fan of Chick-fil-A, but I can't stand the "my pleasure" schtick they have.  It has become my personal goal to say something to the employee that cannot reasonably be answered with "my pleasure."  Doing so was suggested to me by a friend when the first non-college CFA in Wichita opened up.  The simplest way to go is "have a good evening."  It trips them up sometimes.

abefroman329

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Chick-fil-A, but I can't stand the "my pleasure" schtick they have.  It has become my personal goal to say something to the employee that cannot reasonably be answered with "my pleasure."  Doing so was suggested to me by a friend when the first non-college CFA in Wichita opened up.  The simplest way to go is "have a good evening."  It trips them up sometimes.
You could go "what's the most important thing in the universe?"

kphoger

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 04:57:14 PM »

Chick-fil-A

And then casually walk away, smirking?  Or stand there expectantly while their brain spins around inside their head?

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: Today at 02:21:37 PM
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:25 PM »

Around here, I've noticed that "Thank you" is losing ground to " 'preciate it".
Soon it will be truncated to "preesh," mark my words.
https://www.waywordradio.org/preesh/
Florida route log | pre-1945
I will do my best to not make America hate again.
Global warming denial is barely worse than white privilege denial.

abefroman329

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »

Chick-fil-A

And then casually walk away, smirking?  Or stand there expectantly while their brain spins around inside their head?
No, just watch them go “my pleasure” and blush.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: June 19, 2019, 05:21:09 PM
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »

See I read this thread title and thought, "The pump don't work cuz the vandal stole the handle."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: June 19, 2019, 04:24:01 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2018, 11:55:03 AM »

The last few times I've gotten something from Cook Out in Frankfort, they've also said "my pleasure."

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: June 19, 2019, 05:47:55 AM
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »

Isn't that "42"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Screw the KSA; Stand with Canada.

abefroman329

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »

Isn't that "42"?
No, that's "what is six times seven?"

kphoger

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »

Isn't that "42"?

Actually it's...

Quote from: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

abefroman329

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »

Isn't that "42"?

Actually it's...

At the end of Life, the Universe, and Everything, doesn't Arthur pull Scrabble tiles out of a bag that spell out "what is six times seven?" or something similar?

kphoger

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »

↑  That's what the Scrabble tiles say.  ↑

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 03:03:01 PM
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »

The number of people that miss the joke behind the Question makes me lose faith in humanity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

• Last Login: Today at 08:25:21 AM
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 01:09:55 PM »

As a married Christian man, I just feel guilty "pleasuring" the females that work there.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 03:00:15 PM
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »

Back to the original question...

I was in a Home2Suites by Hilton in Nashville a few weekends ago.  They have a dual movement handle - push forward for a light flush; back for a normal flush.  Or it was the other way.  I couldn't remember remember, and I was looking at it. Basically, if it doesn't flush down what's in there, try again.

qguy

• Last Login: Today at 12:15:43 PM
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:46 AM »

The number of people that miss the joke behind the Question makes me lose faith in humanity.

^  ^  ^
This.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 02:55:47 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 06:41:26 AM »

So when a handle is lost, it becomes a bath?
Clinched, plus NH 111A (central)

Traveled, plus:
US ⒉⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚12⒎14⒈159
NH 27,111A(central,eastern),128; NY 366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT 32

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.