News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Former President George H.W. Bush Dies at 94

Started by Bruce, November 30, 2018, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Brandon

That leaves Carter, Clinton, George W. Bush, & Obama.  Interesting note, Carter has outlived not too only his successor, but his successor's VP as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mgk920

Also, as per protocol, all flags in the USA are to be set to half-staff for the next 30 days.

R.I.P.

:no:

Mike

Beltway

Quote from: mgk920 on December 01, 2018, 12:18:21 AM
Also, as per protocol, all flags in the USA are to be set to half-staff for the next 30 days.
R.I.P.
Mike

Elaborate funeral like Reagan got back when he passed ...
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

As I was only 7 (going on 8) when Reagan died, this will be my first time seeing and understanding the process following presidential deaths.

To be honest, I'm glad he finally passed. I'm sure without Barb by his side, life was a struggle. Sure, he had his kids, but living without your life partner has to be excruciatingly difficult, especially in later years. I'm sure he's in a much better place now. I know if one of my grandparents were to die, and both were in ailing health, the best thing would be for both of them to go at the same time.

US71

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2018, 12:34:18 AM
R.I.P.
Mike

That's up to his family for the most part.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DJStephens

A great statesman, G.H.W. Bush could not avoid simple gaffes that ultimately doomed his chances for a second term.   "No new taxes", "Where's the Beef" where two that come to mind.   Also Ross Perot, a blip on the political radar, siphoned off 19% of the popular vote in the Fall '92 election.   And this was after a bizarre exit from the race, and then re-entry, and accusations of Bush spy operatives.   This paved the way for William Jefferson Clinton to win, with barely over 40% of the vote.   

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on December 01, 2018, 08:53:59 AM
R.I.P.
Mike

The story Bruce linked to said the funeral will be at St. Martin Church in Houston & burial at his presidential library at Texas A & M next to his wife Barbara.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: DJStephens on December 01, 2018, 09:18:24 AM
A great statesman, G.H.W. Bush could not avoid simple gaffes that ultimately doomed his chances for a second term.   "No new taxes", "Where's the Beef" where two that come to mind.   Also Ross Perot, a blip on the political radar, siphoned off 19% of the popular vote in the Fall '92 election.   And this was after a bizarre exit from the race, and then re-entry, and accusations of Bush spy operatives.   This paved the way for William Jefferson Clinton to win, with barely over 40% of the vote.   

No New Taxes was what he campaigned on, but I'd forgotten about Where's the Beef

bandit957

Whatever happened to ol' Dan Quayle? I'll never forget the time Quayle was at an airport and made a joke about a bomb on the plane, or the "potatoe" incident.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Quayle was also the man who said "E pluribus unum" meant "From one, many."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on December 01, 2018, 10:08:46 AM
Whatever happened to ol' Dan Quayle? I'll never forget the time Quayle was at an airport and made a joke about a bomb on the plane, or the "potatoe" incident.

He owns a private equity firm now,

SSOWorld

Quote from: US71 on December 01, 2018, 10:14:28 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 01, 2018, 10:08:46 AM

He owns a private equity firm now,
Don't you mean Privat Equitye? :awesomeface:

R.I.P.

Mike
Haven't flags been flying low since the stone age with all the onesy-twosey shootings happening lately?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman65

I do say RIP. Lets just hope some trolls on here who do not like him do not get this into a flame war.  Talking about political figures leads to ideals which gets nasty.

Whether I like him or not is the issue as I would do the same for Obama or even his son if they had died.  I cannot be judge and was brought up that way to pray for your enemies as well as the good people you know.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

R.I.P.
Mike

The size and scope of the public ceremonies is specified by decision of the president and the Congress.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

US71

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2018, 12:55:53 PM
R.I.P.
Mike

The size and scope of the public ceremonies is specified by decision of the president and the Congress.

So, in theory, if a sitting President had a quarrel with a predecessor, he could refuse a state funeral for said predecessor?  Just wondering.  :hmmm:

Beltway

Quote from: US71 on December 01, 2018, 01:05:44 PM
R.I.P.  :no: Mike
So, in theory, if a sitting President had a quarrel with a predecessor, he could refuse a state funeral for said predecessor?  Just wondering.

Any former president will get a state funeral and memorial services.  How big and how elaborate depends on the respective president and Congress.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: DJStephens on December 01, 2018, 09:18:24 AM
Or whatever circumstances led to it looking like he'd never seen a supermarket barcode scanner before (Mary Matalin says he had).

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2018, 01:13:22 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 01, 2018, 01:05:44 PM
R.I.P.  :no: Mike
So, in theory, if a sitting President had a quarrel with a predecessor, he could refuse a state funeral for said predecessor?  Just wondering.

Any former president will get a state funeral and memorial services.  How big and how elaborate depends on the respective president and Congress.

Unless he declines it, of course, as Richard Nixon did. He specifically asked that he not receive a state funeral. Flags were, of course, still lowered to half-mast for the full 30 days. Some places kept them down longer when Jackie Kennedy died just before the end of the 30-day period.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Politics aside, how many Presidents win a war and then go on to lose in the next election?  Since Bush Sr. did his single term, every POTUS since then has been a two term office holder.  That is a rather remarkable streak. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Beltway

Quote from: nexus73 on December 01, 2018, 03:37:09 PM
Politics aside, how many Presidents win a war and then go on to lose in the next election?  Since Bush Sr. did his single term, every POTUS since then has been a two term office holder.  That is a rather remarkable streak. 
Rick

Not really, that is a reflection of the growing power of incumbency, to have had three 2-term presidents in a row up to the current.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

nexus73

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2018, 06:00:21 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on December 01, 2018, 03:37:09 PM
Rick

Not really, that is a reflection of the growing power of incumbency, to have had three 2-term presidents in a row up to the current.

House elections go the way of the incumbents over 90% of the time.  With their terms being only 2 years, campaigning becomes a full time job for them. 

As for recent POTUS elections where the incumbent won, how many times was the opponent truly credible?  Campaigning for President is a 2 year process these days.  Candidates, good or bad, get ground down in a political marathon.  Last one standing gets the nomination.  Would a shorter campaign season as we see in European parliamentary democracies give us a better group of candidates?  Would multiple parties do so? 

(cue Alice Cooper's "Elected")

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Historically it's not all that unusual to have more than one two-term presidents in a row. (I somewhat discount when a president died in office and his successor didn't serve the next term, and I certainly discount where a president said he wouldn't run again.) Certainly the difference between the 19th and 20th centuries reflects the advantages of incumbency in the modern news era. I find it interesting to see that several lost the renomination contests, and I find the long run of one-termers between Jackson and Lincoln interesting, although again that was in part due to deaths and Polk promising not to run again.

Washington (2)
Adams (1, lost in 1800)
Jefferson/Madison/Monroe (2 each, so 24 years total)
Adams (1, lost in 1828)
Jackson (2)
Van Buren (1, lost in 1840)
Harrison/Tyler (1 combined; Tyler didn't run in 1844)
Polk (1, didn't run again after promising not to)
Taylor/Fillmore (1 combined; Fillmore lost nomination in 1852)
Pierce (1, lost nomination in 1856)
Buchanan (1, didn't run again)
Lincoln/Johnson/Grant (2 combined for first two, 2 for Grant, total 16 years)
Hayes (1, announced during campaign he wouldn't run again)
Garfield/Arthur (1 combined; Arthur not nominated in 1884)
Cleveland (1, lost in 1888)
Harrison (1, lost in 1892)
Cleveland (1, didn't run again)
McKinley/Roosevelt (total 3 due to assassination; Roosevelt promised not to run in 1908)
Taft (1, lost in 1912)
Wilson/Harding/Coolidge (Wilson 2, Harding/Coolidge 2 combined)
Hoover (1, lost in 1932)
Roosevelt/Truman/Eisenhower/Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon/Ford (FDR elected to 4 terms; Truman finished the 4th and was re-elected in 1948; Eisenhower 2; Kennedy/Johnson 2 combined and Johnson dropped out of seeking a third term; Nixon/Ford 2 combined, Ford lost in 1976; all this totals 44 years)
Carter (1, lost in 1980)
Reagan (2)
Bush (1, lost in 1992)
Clinton/Bush/Obama (2 each, total 24 years)
Trump (TBD!)

So since 1932, only Carter and Bush were elected presidents who lost re-election (this wording being to distinguish Kennedy being shot and Ford succeeding to the office). That's an entire lifetime or more of almost all two-termers!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jon daly

I thought that Walter Mondale (still alive, IIRC) used the "Where's the beef?" line in a debate with Reagan. Clara Peller rules!

seicer

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2018, 02:54:56 AM
As I was only 7 (going on 8) when Reagan died, this will be my first time seeing and understanding the process following presidential deaths.

To be honest, I'm glad he finally passed. I'm sure without Barb by his side, life was a struggle. Sure, he had his kids, but living without your life partner has to be excruciatingly difficult, especially in later years. I'm sure he's in a much better place now. I know if one of my grandparents were to die, and both were in ailing health, the best thing would be for both of them to go at the same time.

He was quite at peace, according to this article:

QuoteHis longtime friend and former secretary of state, James A. Baker III, arrived at his Houston home on Friday morning to check on him.

Mr. Bush suddenly grew alert, his eyes wide open.

"Where are we going, Bake?"  he asked.

"We're going to heaven,"  Mr. Baker answered.

"That's where I want to go,"  Mr. Bush said.

Barely 13 hours later, Mr. Bush was dead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.