AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Virginia plans to toll I-81  (Read 9167 times)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:31 PM
    • Millennium Highway
Re: Virginia plans to toll I-81
« Reply #325 on: April 07, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »

The Sheetz at Wytheville is a relatively new store. It's also located one exit west of the I-77 north/I-81 south (Bluefield/Bristol) split, at the US 21/US 52 exit off I-81, so it would be out of the way for anyone traveling the I-77 corridor.

You'd be surprised how many people actually go out of their way for cheap gas and food, even (especially?) if they don't realize it (as is the case in numerous areas across the country).
I do it quite frequently. As long as it's only 1 mile or 2 off, and easily accessible back to the main route, I have no issues. But if it was like 6 miles west of the I-77 split, that'd be a bit different.

I'm starting to find that Sheetz isn't the low price gas leader that it used to be. I'd say the stations along the 77-81 concurrency are pretty competitive with their pricing, so I'm doubtful that a whole lot of folks are deliberately going to Sheetz there unless they have an addiction to the MTO food.

I can't remember if there's a Walmart/Murphy gas station across US 21, but if there is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not cheaper than Sheetz. The last few times I've been through Weston, WV, the Walmart has been cheaper than Sheetz.

SoCal Kid

• Yeet

• Last Login: May 19, 2019, 12:27:50 PM
« Reply #326 on: April 07, 2019, 11:17:53 PM »

https://www.nbc29.com/story/39885997/i-81-improvements-bill-moves-forward-without-toll-option

Toll has been canceled... (sorry if someone already mentioned this, I looked through and no one directly said it
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)
(Dont talk much, but I do stalk threads hehe)

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 07:14:38 PM
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2019, 07:51:26 AM »

The Sheetz at Wytheville is a relatively new store. It's also located one exit west of the I-77 north/I-81 south (Bluefield/Bristol) split, at the US 21/US 52 exit off I-81, so it would be out of the way for anyone traveling the I-77 corridor.

You'd be surprised how many people actually go out of their way for cheap gas and food, even (especially?) if they don't realize it (as is the case in numerous areas across the country).
I do it quite frequently. As long as it's only 1 mile or 2 off, and easily accessible back to the main route, I have no issues. But if it was like 6 miles west of the I-77 split, that'd be a bit different.

Heh. I know a guy who lives between Exits 64 and 66 of I-66 who insists that he saves money on gas by driving out to Manassas (Exit 47). The price differential between there and Falls Church where he lives is almost never more than maybe 10˘ a gallon, if that, and there’s no way he uses less than a gallon in a 45-mile roundtrip. But he refuses to believe he’s losing money in the form of the gas he wastes making the drive. (Now, if he had another reason for going to Manassas and bought gas while there, of course that’s different. But this guy drove out there specifically to buy gas.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 04:34:57 PM
« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2019, 05:10:30 AM »

https://www.nbc29.com/story/39885997/i-81-improvements-bill-moves-forward-without-toll-option

Toll has been canceled... (sorry if someone already mentioned this, I looked through and no one directly said it
Excellent news!

famartin

• Last Login: Today at 01:00:33 PM
« Reply #329 on: April 09, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »

That photo looks familiar ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.