AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route  (Read 4001 times)

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 12:59:34 PM
Re: Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »

there used to be a sign for I-75 southbound at I-285, northwest of Atlanta, that listed Tampa as a control city.
It's still there.

I recall also seeing Tampa on I-75 South signage in the southwest quadrant of I-285 where I-85 mixes in from a trip last year.

I guess there's not many big cities along I-75 south of Atlanta besides Macon to sign though.
Seems like I remember Valdosta being the actual control city for I-75, particularly south of Macon.

I've never seen Valdosta from anywhere north of Macon -- Macon is used as the southbound I-75 control on the entire stretch between there and Atlanta. Once you hit Macon, that's where it switches to Valdosta.
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

lepidopteran

• Last Login: Today at 11:00:42 AM
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »

Seems like I remember Valdosta being the actual control city for I-75, particularly south of Macon.
I've never seen Valdosta from anywhere north of Macon ... Once you hit Macon, that's where it switches to Valdosta.
There used to be a sign on I-75 SB just north of Macon that identified I-475 as a "Bypass to Florida".  But at some point that sign was modified or changed to read "Bypass to Valdosta".  Perhaps GDOT did not care promoting another state on its signage (think of Georgia as a destination rather than a pass-through state).

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »

there used to be a sign for I-75 southbound at I-285, northwest of Atlanta, that listed Tampa as a control city.
It's still there.

I recall also seeing Tampa on I-75 South signage in the southwest quadrant of I-285 where I-85 mixes in from a trip last year.

I guess there's not many big cities along I-75 south of Atlanta besides Macon to sign though.
And that's a new one, the one I remember was farther south.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 08:20:44 AM
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »

There used to be a sign on I-75 SB just north of Macon that identified I-475 as a "Bypass to Florida".  But at some point that sign was modified or changed to read "Bypass to Valdosta".  Perhaps GDOT did not care promoting another state on its signage (think of Georgia as a destination rather than a pass-through state).
Must've been a long time ago. Even in 2003, it read "Bypass to Valdosta". Mentioning Florida makes more sense though, especially for long-distance traffic. I'm sure someone heading from Michigan to Florida and has been on the road all day long is going to say "right, Valdosta. That extremely famous and well known by people all over the country, city of 60,000 is the right way to get to Florida." :-D

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

I remember "Bypass To Florida," but the last time I was on that stretch of I-75 was in 2000.

DJDBVT

• Last Login: December 09, 2019, 04:20:42 PM
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »

Putney, VT is signed like that at the NB freeway ramp to I-91 from VT 9 in Brattleboro.

The BGS replacements at that location now list only "White River Junction" for 91 north (installed late last year). I always wondered why the "Vt." after "Putney" on those old (1985) signs.

The Nature Boy

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 12:36:09 PM
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2019, 08:49:03 PM »

One thing that should be corrected is when "New York" is used.  It should be "New York City", since MUTCD discourages the use of control states.

"New York" is the name of the city, so it wouldn't need to be corrected for that reason. (It may be preferable for other reasons to distinguish the city from the state, however.)

There's also a small ambiguity there though. At the I-90 entrance in Back Bay in Boston, "New York" is the signed control city. Is it referring to the city or state? If one were going from Boston to NYC, the quickest route would start on the Mass Pike after all. However, one could also continue on I-90 towards Albany, thus hitting NY State without leaving the interstate.

Interestingly enough, "New York" is a signed control city that I-90/87 interchange near Albany so there's obviously no uniformity on how to refer to NYC on control signage. I-95 in Maryland signs it similarly, even if Virginia prefers "New York City."

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: December 09, 2019, 06:00:00 PM
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2019, 08:56:26 PM »

One thing that should be corrected is when "New York" is used.  It should be "New York City", since MUTCD discourages the use of control states.

"New York" is the name of the city, so it wouldn't need to be corrected for that reason. (It may be preferable for other reasons to distinguish the city from the state, however.)

There's also a small ambiguity there though. At the I-90 entrance in Back Bay in Boston, "New York" is the signed control city. Is it referring to the city or state? If one were going from Boston to NYC, the quickest route would start on the Mass Pike after all. However, one could also continue on I-90 towards Albany, thus hitting NY State without leaving the interstate.

Interestingly enough, "New York" is a signed control city that I-90/87 interchange near Albany so there's obviously no uniformity on how to refer to NYC on control signage. I-95 in Maryland signs it similarly, even if Virginia prefers "New York City."
My personal preference is to sign the city as New York, as this is the official name of the city.

The Nature Boy

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 12:36:09 PM
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »

My personal preference is to sign the city as New York, as this is the official name of the city.

Washington, DC's official name is just the "District of Columbia" but I don't think that that is on a single sign as a control city. I think that control cities should be signed in a way that minimizes ambiguity. I suppose that one could sign "New York NY" to illustrate that you're referring to the city and not state.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 07:21:23 AM
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »

Washington, DC's official name is just the "District of Columbia" but I don't think that that is on a single sign as a control city. I think that control cities should be signed in a way that minimizes ambiguity. I suppose that one could sign "New York NY" to illustrate that you're referring to the city and not state.

I don't know if there are any exceptions, but every sign I have seen with control cities simply says "Washington" for the nation's capital.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 05:13:34 AM
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »

I don't know if there are any exceptions, but every sign I have seen with control cities simply says "Washington" for the nation's capital.
Breezewood has I-70 East Controls of Washington D.C. and Baltimore, at everyone’s favorite stretch of Interstate along surface US 30

MikieTimT

• Last Login: Today at 12:15:30 AM
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2019, 10:43:32 PM »

STL is egregious because it's not even signed on I-57 so a morrist would have no way of knowing how to get to St. Louis.

What did you even mean by this?  Saint Louis is the control destination for both directions of I-57 at its junction with both I-64 and I-70.  A morrist would know perfectly well how to get to St. Louis:  exit where the big sign tells you to.

I could have sworn I just saw Memphis and Chicago when I checked street view.

You're confusing me even more.

Memphis is the control city for southbound I-57.
Chicago is the control city for northbound I-57.
As far as I know, those control cities hold true for its entire length.

I-57 doesn't even come within 70 miles of Saint Louis.  As such, there would never be any need to sign Saint Louis as a control city on pull-through signs on I-57.  The only point at which a morrist on I-57 would need to know how to get to Saint Louis is at the junction with whatever route said morrist would take from I-57 to reach Saint Louis.  I therefore assumed you were saying Saint Louis wasn't signed at the junctions with I-64 or I-70.  After all, if not there, then what possible location would you be expecting to see Saint Louis signed?

Exit signage along I-57 shown below...

Northbound at the beginning of the 57/64 duplex:  [St Louis / Chicago] [Louisville]
Northbound at the end of the 57/64 duplex:  [St Louis] [Chicago]
Southbound at I-64:  [Louisville / Memphis] [St Louis]

Southbound at the beginning of the 57/70 duplex:  [Indianapolis] [Memphis / St Louis]
Southbound at the end of the 57/70- duplex:  [Memphis] [St Louis]
Northbound at I-70:  [St Louis] [Chicago / Indianapolis]

What exactly is a morrist, anyway?

I assume it's someone from the town of Morris, IL.  I-57 is, after all, the bulk of the best driving route between Morris and Memphis:  by taking Route 47 down to Mahomet and then joining I-57 at Champaign, a morrist shaves off a good 30 miles compared to taking I-55 all the way, in addition to avoiding Saint Louis traffic.

US-60 between Sikeston and Poplar Bluff just became Future I-57 yesterday, so this is one step closer to changing anyway.  Just need to figure out how to get from Poplar Bluff to Walnut Ridge, and then the southern control city will have to change to Little Rock anyway since I-57 doesn't get anywhere near Memphis.

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 09:20:26 AM
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2019, 12:04:06 AM »

In and around Youngstown, OH, ODOT has gotten better in specifically stating New York 'City' as the CC for I-80 East.

Previously, most signage only said New York, which potentially confused those drivers bound for Western NY state/Buffalo taking I-76/I-80 East to SR-11 North to I-90 East.   I'm sure a few people saw the "New York" only signs and thought that would get them to Buffalo.   

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: November 13, 2019, 11:18:15 PM
    • New interstate plans
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »

In and around Youngstown, OH, ODOT has gotten better in specifically stating New York 'City' as the CC for I-80 East.

Previously, most signage only said New York, which potentially confused those drivers bound for Western NY state/Buffalo taking I-76/I-80 East to SR-11 North to I-90 East.   I'm sure a few people saw the "New York" only signs and thought that would get them to Buffalo.
I feel like most people would assume that New York meant the city.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 01:18:23 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2019, 08:05:41 AM »

Not if you're in northeastern Ohio.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚14⒈159
NH 27, 111A(E); NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A; CT 32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: December 09, 2019, 04:45:04 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »

Breezewood has I-70 East Controls of Washington D.C. and Baltimore, at everyone’s favorite stretch of Interstate along surface US 30

Probably because Washington, Pa., is a major interstate junction. (I-70 and I-79).

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 07:21:23 AM
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »

Probably because Washington, Pa., is a major interstate junction. (I-70 and I-79).

Probably I should have refined my statement to only including the adjoining states, Maryland and Virginia.  Going two or more states away they might want to get more precise.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

empirestate

• Last Login: December 09, 2019, 12:03:23 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »

That would be one of the "other reasons."

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: November 13, 2019, 11:18:15 PM
    • New interstate plans
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »

Not if you're in northeastern Ohio.
Don't most people call that area "upstate"?
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

tdindy88

• Last Login: Today at 10:29:37 AM
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »

Those in New York City call it Upstate. I doubt those in Ohio do. It makes no sense for them to do so.

pdx-wanderer

• Last Login: December 06, 2019, 01:09:39 PM
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2019, 01:19:45 AM »

The main control cities on US 95 from Southern Idaho to Winnemucca are Winnemucca and Boise, skipping over Oregon.

sandwalk

• Northern Ohio Native

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 10:46:43 PM
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »

Interstate 470 in Ohio uses "Washington PA" as the eastbound control city, skipping West Virginia.  Obviously I-470 is a bypass of Wheeling, but the highway never enters the state of Pennsylvania.

https://goo.gl/maps/QRt3gkNK2N32

https://goo.gl/maps/HEfNFXQaoXU2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.