AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Two of the same business visible from one place  (Read 1938 times)

kevinb1994

• Your local source of road-related information.

• Last Login: April 21, 2019, 11:00:04 PM
Re: Two of the same business visible from one place
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »

These are the two McD's in Severna Park, MD, on Governor Ritchie Highway (State Route 2).  The second one is marked by those tiny arches off in the distance, just to the lower-left of the nearer ones.

McDonald’s in Severna Park, MD - by Mike, on Flickr

A close-up of the other sign -- a rare design in which older, larger arches are mounted atop two poles -- may be found here.

Everybody loves those old McDonalds signs.

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 21, 2019, 03:09:49 PM
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »

These are the two McD's in Severna Park, MD, on Governor Ritchie Highway (State Route 2).  The second one is marked by those tiny arches off in the distance, just to the lower-left of the nearer ones.

McDonald’s in Severna Park, MD - by Mike, on Flickr

A close-up of the other sign -- a rare design in which older, larger arches are mounted atop two poles -- may be found here.

I prefer the old “over XX billion served” signs that the owner would have to update periodically to the general “billions and billions served” sign.

Did you know white supremacists made a series of memes featuring Mac Tonight? Christ, people are assholes.

lepidopteran

• Last Login: April 17, 2019, 06:09:06 PM
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »

I prefer the old “over XX billion served” signs that the owner would have to update periodically to the general “billions and billions served” sign.
One of the first high-mast freeway signs for McD's I encountered said "Billions and Billions Served".  This was circa 1977, when they were still keeping count on the regular signs.  But that makes sense, since otherwise you'd need to get ahold of a 100-foot bucket truck every time the numbers changed!  :-D

Some really old arch signs listed the number of burgers "Sold" rather than "Served".  I wonder if they switched to Served to sound more friendly, or so they could legally include the freebies in the tally (e.g., tour bus drivers eat for free, or at least they did at one time.)  Or both.

ftballfan

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 06:51:43 PM
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »

Ludington has two Subways. The Walmart has one while there's a standalone Subway in the strip mall right in front of the Walmart: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9568422,-86.4005759,331m/data=!3m1!1e3
Subway's entire business model appears to be "sign up as many franchisees as possible and collect our fees, who gives a shit if there are so many that they end up cannibalizing each other."  I believe they've even been sued over this.
It seems like their priority is to have as many locations as possible. I don't see that as a good thing.

I had a discussion on Facebook last summer about this. In the Midwest at least it seems even the most rural, podunk towns have one (with Dairy Queen the next offender in this regard). Someone speculated that the overhead costs are probably a lot lower than for something like McDonald’s, so that probably explains it.
In Michigan, Dollar General is worse than Subway. In Manistee County (population ~25,000), there are five Dollar Generals (Manistee, Bear Lake, Copemish, Kaleva, and Wellston) and there is a new location going up in Irons, which isn't in Manistee County but is very close to the county line.

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 21, 2019, 03:09:49 PM
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »

One of the first high-mast freeway signs for McD's I encountered said "Billions and Billions Served".  This was circa 1977, when they were still keeping count on the regular signs.  But that makes sense, since otherwise you'd need to get ahold of a 100-foot bucket truck every time the numbers changed!  :-D
That's why I assumed they did it as well.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 07:05:04 AM
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »

Ludington has two Subways. The Walmart has one while there's a standalone Subway in the strip mall right in front of the Walmart: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9568422,-86.4005759,331m/data=!3m1!1e3
Subway's entire business model appears to be "sign up as many franchisees as possible and collect our fees, who gives a shit if there are so many that they end up cannibalizing each other."  I believe they've even been sued over this.
It seems like their priority is to have as many locations as possible. I don't see that as a good thing.

I had a discussion on Facebook last summer about this. In the Midwest at least it seems even the most rural, podunk towns have one (with Dairy Queen the next offender in this regard). Someone speculated that the overhead costs are probably a lot lower than for something like McDonald’s, so that probably explains it.
In Michigan, Dollar General is worse than Subway. In Manistee County (population ~25,000), there are five Dollar Generals (Manistee, Bear Lake, Copemish, Kaleva, and Wellston) and there is a new location going up in Irons, which isn't in Manistee County but is very close to the county line.
I see Dollar General's popping up just about everywhere. They even have one on M-13 south of Saginaw on the Albee curve. Where I'm at there are 8 stores within 10 miles, 23 stores within 20 miles, 98 stores within 50 miles and 352 stores within 100 miles. That is just amazing, there are 352 Dollar General's within 100 miles of me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.