AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Automatic or Manual

Automatic
Manual

Author Topic: Do you prefer driving automatics or manuals?  (Read 3827 times)

Takumi

• #yogapantsbutnotstance

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 07:53:13 AM
    • Flashing Lights (blog)
Re: Do you prefer driving automatics or manuals?
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »

^^
My only issue with the Si is the body style. No hatchback availability, which is a walk-away moment personally. It's a hot hatch, not hot...sedan. Never mind the obvious practical benefits with the entire rear-end lifting up. Hence why I drive a Golf now. I can fit massive things in my car with the entire back-end opening up.

I'd be stuck with either the regular Civic hatchback, or the Type-R. Probably would go for the regular Civic hatch (with the 6-speed, of course), if only because I drive Lyft and would prefer to keep my passengers from getting sick. Well, and myself.
It wouldnít even be that hard to make an Si hatch. The Si has a little more power (whether itís just a different tune or a different turbo, Iím not sure, but Civic 1.5T hatches can make Si power with a tune), a limited-slip differential, and adaptive dampers over the regular Civic. Iím not sure how difficult it would be to send those things to the Swindon factory if demand warranted. (Itíd certainly be more difficult to retool the Ontario and Ohio plants to add the hatch in, but thatís actually more likely to happen as Swindon is set to close when the next generation of Civic comes out in 2022.)

The Si has been six speed since 8th gen.
Fixed. Sorry to be pedantic, but the 7th gen (also the last Civic hatch sold in the US until this one) was still a 5-speed, due to pressure from Acura not wanting it to cannibalize RSX sales at the time. In Europe, that same car was sold (as a Type R) with a 6-speed and the same engine as the RSX Type S, but here it was limited to the 5-speed and the base RSX engine.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

Insta | Kinja

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: July 12, 2019, 02:55:21 PM
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2019, 08:44:17 AM »

So *you're* one of the Type Rs. I like the engine, but that wing is just too ugly to drive to work. So it's another Si for me. (I saw a Type R in downtown San Diego the other day with the license plate "SI LOL." Hey! I resemble that remark!  :pan: )

The Si has been six speed since 7th gen.

The looks are not for everyone - as it goes for the tenth gen Civic in general - but I work in an office and I get so many compliments about my car like you wouldnít believe. I really like the 2 door Si, the lines flow extremely well, but I am one of the few that likes how the Type R looks.
Life's too short to play it safe.

Exploring roads in my 2018 Honda Civic Type R. Hopefully those roads are free of potholes :D

ClassicHasClass

• 0-60 in 59.999997 years

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:40 PM
    • Floodgap Roadgap
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »

The Si has a little more power (whether itís just a different tune or a different turbo, Iím not sure, but Civic 1.5T hatches can make Si power with a tune), a limited-slip differential, and adaptive dampers over the regular Civic.

It's possibly a little more than that. The 1.5T can get into the power range but apparently the part numbers are different, presumably for internals that can handle the higher boost pressures. The jury's still out on exactly what difference they make. https://www.civicx.com/threads/si-vs-non-si.22517/#post-380859

I wouldn't have minded an Si hatch for this go-around, since I do occasionally schlep stuff around. But the Type R wasn't what I wanted and there's not enough room in the 2 door Si for me to use it as a daily driver, so the Si Sedan it is. I had an '08 (eighth gen ;) ) Si Sedan before anyway, so this was a logical progression.

Takumi

• #yogapantsbutnotstance

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 07:53:13 AM
    • Flashing Lights (blog)
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »

I like the Si sedan. I looked for them when I was shopping for what eventually became my TL last summer, but I couldnít find one in a color I wanted. Everything in reasonable distance was silver or red, the two colors I donít want, or the bulbous coupe.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

Insta | Kinja

bugo

• Last Login: October 10, 2019, 10:13:19 PM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2019, 07:11:10 PM »

A standard transmission by a million miles. That being said, my last two cars have been slushboxes after driving several cars with manual transmissions in a row. You have much more control with a stick. You can drop down several gears at a time which is very useful when passing. Driving is much more fun when your left foot is involved.
This signature has been censored by the AARoads Bureau of Morality.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.