AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inclos  (Read 1385 times)

renegade

• Education is Important - Stay in School, Kids!

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 11:50:52 PM
Re: Inclos
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 12:38:06 PM »

I’d expect an “inclo” to look something like this (admittedly pointless, inefficient, unsafe, and ridiculously expensive) design:

EDIT: Just realized my two-minute design sketch had traffic exiting head-on into other traffic.
i wanna see it anyway

Yeah, that'd kill people ...

X99

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 02:57:51 PM
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 08:18:30 PM »

I’d expect an “inclo” to look something like this (admittedly pointless, inefficient, unsafe, and ridiculously expensive) design:

EDIT: Just realized my two-minute design sketch had traffic exiting head-on into other traffic.
i wanna see it anyway

That's basically a double grade-separated diverging diamond interchange. Traffic isn't exiting head-on into other traffic; it all lines up perfectly. I'm sure China would make one if you sent them the design.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 10:40:59 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »

i wanna see it anyway

That's basically a double grade-separated diverging diamond interchange. Traffic isn't exiting head-on into other traffic; it all lines up perfectly. I'm sure China would make one if you sent them the design.

The four inside loops could be replaced with short straight ramps on the outside.

The four U-turn ramps could also be replaced with much longer ramps, and they should — try entering from the south and exiting to the east without getting killed.
Clinched

Traveled, plus:
US ⒉⒔50
MA ⒐22.40.99.10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚127.141.159
NH 27,111A; NY 366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT 32

Flickr

ErmineNotyours

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 12:27:52 AM
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 12:42:55 AM »

Early Mapquest directions on the Coquihalla Highway in BC told me to take a sharp turn off the end of a cloverleaf and onto oncoming traffic.

X99

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

The four inside loops could be replaced with short straight ramps on the outside.
that kinda ruins the whole "inclo" idea if you take out the cloverleafs

skluth

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 07:06:39 PM
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »

i wanna see it anyway

Taking any of the eight outer ramps will put you on a perpendicular road going the wrong direction. Those aren't U-turns.

X99

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »

i wanna see it anyway

Taking any of the eight outer ramps will put you on a perpendicular road going the wrong direction. Those aren't U-turns.
To clarify, I wasn't seeing that the outside ramps had a connection to the perpendicular highway, I thought they were just U-turn ramps.

X99

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 10:17:09 PM »

Here's my two-minute sketch of what I thought an inclo would look like. Not as good as briantroutman's, but I don't have that kind of editing software. One disadvantage: left exits.

i made an imgur for this

kurumi

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 11:37:34 AM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 12:39:51 AM »

Here's my two-minute sketch of what I thought an inclo would look like. Not as good as briantroutman's, but I don't have that kind of editing software. One disadvantage: left exits.

Advantage: no weaving.

Also: the diagonal ramps are superfluous -- the loops take care of those movements. However, outside loops can handle the missing movements, giving you an 8-loop cloverleaf. C/D roads on the outside can mitigate weaving.

A solution with all ramps inside the square is left to the student.

kphoger

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 04:54:55 PM
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »

Also: the diagonal ramps are superfluous -- the loops take care of those movements.

That's because half the movements are missing.  For example, there's no path to go north-to-west.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Duke87

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 05:37:46 PM
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »

Well, it requires a lot of carriageway spread, but...

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:47 AM
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »

I have a feeling that would take up more space than a regular cloverleaf.
Forget the I-41 haters

renegade

• Education is Important - Stay in School, Kids!

• Last Login: April 20, 2019, 11:50:52 PM
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »

I have a feeling that would take up more space than a regular cloverleaf.
Still less acreage than some of tradephoric’s designs.    :popcorn:

X99

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 08:50:40 PM »

Also: the diagonal ramps are superfluous -- the loops take care of those movements.

That's because half the movements are missing.  For example, there's no path to go north-to-west.

I fixed it- sort of. I didn't have access to my original drawing, so I did this in Paint. My point was to extend the outside ramps as flyovers to the missing movement (example: NB-to-EB diagonal ramp is now a flyover going to WB)
Still no weaving, unless some idiot took a wrong turn.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.