AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Poll

AAroads Bill 3: An Act to extend Interstate 70 to California?

Yay
Nay

Voting closes: July 09, 2019, 05:04:32 PM

Author Topic: AAroads Bill 3: An Act to extend Interstate 70 to California  (Read 495 times)

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 08:20:45 AM
AAroads Bill 3: An Act to extend Interstate 70 to California
« on: April 01, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »

WHEREAS, there are plans to extend Interstate 70 along the I-15 Interchange to the US-101 Interchange corridor from Amarillo, TX to Denver, CO;

WHEREAS, there are plans to create a new East-West freeway in the Rockies to the West Coast;

NOW THEREFORE, Interstate 70 shall be routed from Cove Fort, UT to San Jose, CA

All Interstate signage along the route will be updated, with priority at interchanges with other Interstates.

This bill does preclude an extension or rerouting of the current route.

This bill shall be effective immediately.

X99

• Last Login: May 20, 2019, 07:31:35 PM
Re: AAroads Bill 3: An Act to extend Interstate 70 to California
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »

:-D

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 04:38:04 PM
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »

OK
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 02:04:09 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 07:15:35 PM »

So I take it this a full FritzOwl plan that will obliterate Tioga Pass with a 30 mile tunnel?

X99

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »

So I take it this a full FritzOwl plan that will obliterate Tioga Pass with a 30 mile tunnel?
He directly duplicated my post, with a few road name changes. Since when were Amarillo and Denver between I-15 and US 101?

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »

He directly duplicated my post, with a few road name changes. Since when were Amarillo and Denver between I-15 and US 101?

I was thinking back to the old days where he was proposing bat shit crazy Trans-Sierra Highways over 12,000 feet. 

X99

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »

I was thinking back to the old days where he was proposing bat shit crazy Trans-Sierra Highways over 12,000 feet.
Who was? Bing or Fritz?

ClassicHasClass

• 0-60 in 59.999997 years

• Last Login: Today at 03:03:43 PM
    • Floodgap Roadgap
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 11:23:21 PM »

Good times. The park fees and the tolls necessary to pay for the snowplows should make that the lowest AADTs in America. ;)

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 04:38:04 PM
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 02:07:37 PM »

Since when were Amarillo and Denver between I-15 and US 101?

That was the April Fool.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:35:34 PM »

Good times. The park fees and the tolls necessary to pay for the snowplows should make that the lowest AADTs in America. ;)

His solution to the 8% natural grade of Lee Vining Canyon was to zig-zag the canyon walls or blast a massive freeway size tunnel.  I never did quite get the details on the freeway planned to cross the Sierras via Kings Canyon.  Iím sure a narrow 8,200 foot deep canyon is perfectly suitable for a full grade Interstate.   :meh:

X99

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »

His solution to the 8% natural grade of Lee Vining Canyon was to zig-zag the canyon walls or blast a massive freeway size tunnel.  I never did quite get the details on the freeway planned to cross the Sierras via Kings Canyon.  Iím sure a narrow 8,200 foot deep canyon is perfectly suitable for a full grade Interstate.   :meh:
If you're trying to cross an 8200 foot deep canyon, do it with a vidauct at the top if possible. France did a viaduct across a valley like that, so we could beat them height-wise.

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »

If you're trying to cross an 8200 foot deep canyon, do it with a vidauct at the top if possible. France did a viaduct across a valley like that, so we could beat them height-wise.

It wasnít so much he was trying cross the canyon but run his Interstate through the middle of it.  CA 180 is barely wide enough for two lanes as is and boasting cliffs that vertically high is laughable.  Put it this way two cars dropped 600 feet into the Kings River last year and they canít be recovered. 

X99

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »

It wasnít so much he was trying cross the canyon but run his Interstate through the middle of it.
You mean running the length of the canyon?

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »

It wasnít so much he was trying cross the canyon but run his Interstate through the middle of it.

Yep, that was the idea. 

X99

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »

Yep, that was the idea.
Then it would beat France's viaduct heightwise and lengthwise.

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »

Yep, that was the idea.
Then it would beat France's viaduct heightwise and lengthwise.

Whatís really interesting is trying to find a viable place for a highway in general much less an Interstate standard freeway somewhere in the Central Sierras.  The best bet would be the latest proposed route of CA 190 which can be seen on this map from 2005:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/ll/thumbnailView.html?startUrl=%2F%2Fwww.davidrumsey.com%2Fluna%2Fservlet%2Fas%2Fsearch%3Fos%3D0%26lc%3DRUMSEY~8~1%26q%3DCaltrans%202005%26sort%3DPub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No%26bs%3D10#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&r=0&xywh=4530%2C7065%2C350%2C620

What I like about this design is the huge sweeping southern jog CA 190 would use to climb the eastern Sierras at a relatively shallow grade.  The crossing of the Kern River Fault is also at one of the shallowest places which would leave the Middle Fork Tule River which is already part of CA 190 as the last leg to San Joaquin Valley. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.