News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interesting TxDOT construction advertisements

Started by J N Winkler, July 14, 2010, 04:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

I am starting this thread for TxDOT, in parallel and for essentially the same purpose as the parallel thread on Oklahoma DOT construction advertisements.  The difference in this case is that TxDOT keeps plans available for up to six months after advertisement, unlike Oklahoma DOT where the buffer varies in length but can't be relied on to be longer than 1-2 months.

August is traditionally a big letting month for TxDOT (it closes out the fiscal year) and this time there is a medium-sized Austin District signing contract.  Direct link to the plans on the FTP server (N.B.--cutting and pasting is necessary since the forum software does not support FTP URLs):

ftp://planuser:txdotplans@plans.dot.state.tx.us/State-Let-Construction/August%2010/08%20Plans/Travis%200914-00-295.exe
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

This advertisement is actually issued by the North Texas Tollway Authority, not TxDOT, but the project in question has a TxDOT CCSJ and will connect the SH 121 Southwest Parkway directly with TxDOT infrastructure (I-20 and SH 183).  It is Phase 3B of the Southwest Parkway (NTTA contract number 02720) and provides for half construction of a full Maltese cross stack interchange between SH 121 and I-20.  Plans can be viewed here free of charge (registration and login required):

http://www.thomasrepro.com/dfs/ntta/

Once NTP is issued on this contract, it will become the second Maltese cross stack NTTA has under construction through a design-bid-build contract, the other being also on SH 121 (Sam Rayburn Tollway) at US 75.  (I don't know if NTTA is building any stacks on SH 161, which is currently being done through design-build.)  NTTA has eclipsed TxDOT in the DFW area as the principal builder of Maltese cross stacks.  When these two are finished, DFW will probably have half of all the stacks in Texas (up from 14 to 16 at least), and its record for most stacks of any city region in the world will have become that much harder to challenge.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.