AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-49 in Arkansas  (Read 689912 times)

M86

• Uff da

• Last Login: May 10, 2019, 02:31:07 AM
Re: I-49 in Arkansas
« Reply #2375 on: March 29, 2019, 02:33:28 AM »

Are there drawings of the SPUI project for I-49/AR 549 and US71 on the web?  Not even sure where to look on the ARDOT website.
If there's a job number for the project, I can do some digging, but I'm sure there isn't yet.
If someone can figure out when a public meeting was held for it, that will be posted on ARDOT's website.
And the obligatory comment that ARDOT's website needs a huge overhaul, which it does.

Gordon

• Last Login: Today at 08:39:52 PM
« Reply #2376 on: March 29, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »

CA0903 Hwy 71 interchange

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:42 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #2377 on: April 04, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »

ARDOT announces tolling I-49 from Alma to Barling is "not viable".
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 09:17:36 PM
« Reply #2378 on: April 04, 2019, 07:03:15 PM »

As a stand-alone facility, a Fort Smith I-49 bypass wouldn't be particularly viable as a toll road, since the opportunities for shunpiking across the Arkansas River (US 64/71, I-540) are there and functional.  The only way that tolls -- limited to the bridge itself rather than the entire bypass -- would be a viable concept is after I-49 is completed south to Texarkana; it's likely that a driver not intending to overnight in the Fort Smith area would expend the effort to shunpike over surface facilities but rather remain on the I-49 main line and pay the bridge toll.  Of course, revenues from this would necessarily be directed toward maintenance rather than construction of the facility -- which doesn't presently help the prospects for deployment.  Nevertheless, it's something that could be useful down the line. 

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:42 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #2379 on: April 04, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »

As a stand-alone facility, a Fort Smith I-49 bypass wouldn't be particularly viable as a toll road, since the opportunities for shunpiking across the Arkansas River (US 64/71, I-540) are there and functional.  The only way that tolls -- limited to the bridge itself rather than the entire bypass -- would be a viable concept is after I-49 is completed south to Texarkana; it's likely that a driver not intending to overnight in the Fort Smith area would expend the effort to shunpike over surface facilities but rather remain on the I-49 main line and pay the bridge toll.  Of course, revenues from this would necessarily be directed toward maintenance rather than construction of the facility -- which doesn't presently help the prospects for deployment.  Nevertheless, it's something that could be useful down the line. 

As I've said before, ARDOT could get rid of state maintained factory "driveways" and short highways that turn into a dirt road after 3 miles. Maybe then they'd have a little more money for important projects, but they've always had misplaced priorities.
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

Gordon

• Last Login: Today at 08:39:52 PM
« Reply #2380 on: April 05, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »

Last November when ARDOT said that the toll road was not going to be feasible, Bennett said they would look at doing road to road sections and get the cost down to a more manageable price to build the bridge. Also they said the environmental was updated in the cost of the toll would not pay for it. I hope that is still an option and they continue to work on engineering for that.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 11:34:22 PM
« Reply #2381 on: April 05, 2019, 10:48:22 PM »

Yeah, a toll bridge on its own wouldn't work. Too easy to shunpike unless the toll was dirt cheap. I think a toll facility on I-49 would only work as a single, uninterrupted, long distance run from I-40 all the way down to the state line. Otherwise it's going to have to be a gas tax-funded road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.