AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-57 Approved  (Read 25929 times)

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 01:24:06 PM
Re: I-57 Approved
« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »

I wonder what the cost difference would be between the UP railway alignment up to Corning versus the Pocahontas option. Even following the UP alignment I-57 will require a new bridge over the Black River just South of Corning. OTOH, the bridge and other berm work will not be nearly as extensive as it would be skirting the East side of Pocahontas (and serving the industrial district there). The problem is the Black River and Current River meet in that zone. The Fourche River also feeds into the Black River on the NE side of Pocahontas. Mill Creek feeds into the Black River on the South side of town. Combine that with the flat elevation and it's no wonder why that location is prone to flooding.

Best as I can tell, the Jacksonville segment is the only part of the freeway that isnít up to standard already. The frontage roads between exits 11 and 16 may eventually need to be converted to one way also, and that will mean building at least 4 crossovers where there are none.

There's still some bad spots, but it looks like some are being fixed. According to Google Earth imagery (dated 10/10/2018) a brand new interchange with AR-38 is getting built on the North side Cabot. From the AR-5 interchange on the South side of Cabot US-67 is being widened down to the Vandenberg Blvd exit. Below there to South of the James Street exit is substandard due to narrow shoulders and some really short slip ramps. The on/off ramps to James Street exit have bad geometry. The Northbound US-67 exit 10A ramp is the worst of the bunch. The exit ramp is nothing more than an added right turn lane and 45 degree right turn. The Southbound Exit 9 ramp sucks almost as bad. South of that point US-67 is on a lot of new, wider concrete road bed and appears far more compliant with modern standards.

Substandard inner and outer shoulders are the main issue North of Cabot to up to around Newport. With all the work left to it will probably be at least a few more years before we see regular I-57 shields going up there. But I think US-67 could be legally signed as I-57 from I-40 up to the AR-440 interchange.
 :)

abqtraveler

• US-85 runs thru Albuquerque, but only on paper

• Last Login: July 19, 2019, 07:45:03 AM
« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »

Substandard inner and outer shoulders are the main issue North of Cabot to up to around Newport. With all the work left to it will probably be at least a few more years before we see regular I-57 shields going up there. But I think US-67 could be legally signed as I-57 from I-40 up to the AR-440 interchange.

If they were to do that, then they could also extend the I-440 designation over AR-440 to where it currently ends at US-67.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 37, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238

I-39

• Last Login: July 19, 2019, 08:07:59 PM
« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »

I wonder what the cost difference would be between the UP railway alignment up to Corning versus the Pocahontas option. Even following the UP alignment I-57 will require a new bridge over the Black River just South of Corning. OTOH, the bridge and other berm work will not be nearly as extensive as it would be skirting the East side of Pocahontas (and serving the industrial district there). The problem is the Black River and Current River meet in that zone. The Fourche River also feeds into the Black River on the NE side of Pocahontas. Mill Creek feeds into the Black River on the South side of town. Combine that with the flat elevation and it's no wonder why that location is prone to flooding.

Best as I can tell, the Jacksonville segment is the only part of the freeway that isnít up to standard already. The frontage roads between exits 11 and 16 may eventually need to be converted to one way also, and that will mean building at least 4 crossovers where there are none.

There's still some bad spots, but it looks like some are being fixed. According to Google Earth imagery (dated 10/10/2018) a brand new interchange with AR-38 is getting built on the North side Cabot. From the AR-5 interchange on the South side of Cabot US-67 is being widened down to the Vandenberg Blvd exit. Below there to South of the James Street exit is substandard due to narrow shoulders and some really short slip ramps. The on/off ramps to James Street exit have bad geometry. The Northbound US-67 exit 10A ramp is the worst of the bunch. The exit ramp is nothing more than an added right turn lane and 45 degree right turn. The Southbound Exit 9 ramp sucks almost as bad. South of that point US-67 is on a lot of new, wider concrete road bed and appears far more compliant with modern standards.

Have they started the rebuilding/widening work between Main Street and Vandenberg Blvd?

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 03:45:47 AM
« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »

If they were to do that, then they could also extend the I-440 designation over AR-440 to where it currently ends at US-67.

With I-57 signage, the designation upgrade of AR 440 to I-440 is all but a given.  Nevertheless, it's likely that no actual I-57 signage will be posted until the entire facility -- at least as far as Walnut Grove -- is up to current Interstate standards (ostensibly the raison d'etre of the Jacksonville-area upgrades).  It's a long enough stretch to warrant posting -- might provide some additional incentive (of the PR variety) to finish off the corridor remainder.

capt.ron

• Last Login: July 19, 2019, 02:21:57 PM
« Reply #329 on: July 18, 2019, 12:36:23 AM »

Have they started the rebuilding/widening work between Main Street and Vandenberg Blvd?
The section between Vandenberg and Main St is still being finalized (on the drawing board, that is). I'm guessing that work will begin either late this year or early next year. According to ARDOT, the Vandenberg-Main St section is slated to be complete by 2023. At that time, the freeway will be up to modern interstate standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.