AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colorado  (Read 4484 times)

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
Colorado
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:23:46 PM by mightyace »
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

V'Ger

• Unperson

• Last Login: May 22, 2009, 11:02:39 PM
Re: Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »

By same mission do you mean the 470 tollway?

brad2971

• Native Roadgeeking Son of the Great Plains

• Last Login: Today at 09:26:24 AM
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:56 PM »

No, the HPTE is charged with authorizing, and potentially operating, toll roads OTHER than E-470 and the NW Parkway. Right now, other than possible managed lanes in the middle of C-470 from US85 to I-25 (sorry Douglas Co, it's the only way you're going to get a widened C-470), there are no other plans for toll facilities in CO. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the HPTE ends up taking over the NW Parkway if Brisa/CCR ends up bailing in two years.

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »

E470 tolling will be all electronic as of July 4th.

Bush Turnpike in Dallas, E470 Denver go all-electronic this week
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

andy3175

• Last Login: Today at 02:38:23 AM
    • AARoads
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »

Resurrecting this thread for general Colorado highway items ...

Found an interesting-looking book on the bridges of Eagle County. I've photographed many of these over the years and have noticed bridge removals as well. I'm glad someone took on this project to document these old bridges. I may try to locate a copy myself.

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/announcements/local-history-book-wins-state-historical-society-award/

“The Bridges of Eagle County,” by local historian Kathy Heicher in conjunction with the Colorado Department of Transportation, is the 2016 Caroline Bancroft History Project award winner. The award is made annually to individuals and organizations that have made a significant contribution to the advancement of Colorado History.

The unique project came about because of a federal law, the National Historic Preservation Act, requiring mitigation of adverse impacts on historically significant structures.

CDOT has been gradually replacing historic bridges in Eagle County with structures that meet current standards. Mitigation for the some of those structures involved the placement of interpretive signs. When preparing to replace the Dotsero Bridge in 2011, CDOT historian Lisa Schoch proposed that mitigation take the form of a book that would tell the stories not only of the Dotsero Bridge, but also a string of historic bridges throughout the Eagle Valley.

CDOT officials approached Heicher, a historical society activist and the author of several local history books, about the project.

The structures featured in “The Bridges of Eagle County” range from the first primitive timber structure spanning the Grand (Colorado) River in 1883 to the magnificent steel arch bridge at Red Cliff, constructed near the end of the Great Depression.

The book includes dozens of historic photos, maps, postcard images and anecdotes about the pioneers who built the bridges. Sales of the book benefit the Eagle County Historical Society.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 01:17:17 PM
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »

Just a few musings on my weekend trip to/around Denver this past weekend...

1) I have noticed that CDOT is phasing out travel times on their VMS's in both directions of I-70 between Vail & Denver.  On both days, the roads were fine, but the VMS's were displaying safety messages, if anything.    IIRC, a couple of years ago the Travel Times were one of two screens that would alternately appear on some single VMSs.  When I saw them on my first trip along I-70 about 12 years ago, there were a lot more displaying just travel times only.

2) Looks like CDOT is also slowly removing the overhead lighting for BGS's.  I saw some areas on I-70 and I-25 where the lighting (which were mounted above the signs was removed.

3) Finally, it was odd to see that THIS gantry...

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7103599,-104.997491,3a,75y,133.99h,83.66t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxvusxtRGFku5s4B3o9ZoBQ!2e0!5s20141001T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

was still standing as of this past weekend, since SB Santa Fe Drive has been relocated where the concrete sewer pipes are in the above photo.

What's odd is that the relocated SB Santa Fe Avenue has been around since April of 2015 (per GSV): 

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7111121,-104.9984633,3a,75y,161.08h,89.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPvFcqLPceV-odeBot0nddg!2e0!5s20150401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

and the old gantry now spans a dead end "frontage road" stub to access Denny's and Diamond Shamrock as seen in this last photo.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:19:13 PM by thenetwork »

andy3175

• Last Login: Today at 02:38:23 AM
    • AARoads
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/21/i-25-gap-coalition-highway-expansion-monument-castle-rock/

Months after the Colorado Department of Transportation said it would accelerate its process to widen Interstate 25 between Colorado Springs and Denver, a group of Douglas and El Paso county officials are advocating for expediency when it comes to improving a particularly narrow stretch of the highway.

The I-25 Gap Coalition is focused mainly on a roughly 17-mile stretch of the interstate between Castle Rock and Monument, known as “the gap,” where the highway is four-lanes wide. It’s a dangerous segment of highway where two Colorado State Patrol troopers were stuck and killed by passing drivers while responding to calls in the area within 13 months of each other.

“What the goal is to create a parallel, proactive advocacy group that goes alongside CDOT to accelerate the improvements to this stretch of the state highway,” Douglas County commissioner Roger Partridge said during coalition’s launch event Wednesday. “(We’re) really identifying three things to begin with: we are going to speak with one voice to have a desired, similar outcome; we are going to identify and leverage the (funding) sources; and then we’re going to lobby these efforts.”

The coalition includes representatives from the both highway-crossed counties, Castle Rock, Colorado Springs and other cities, towns and economic development groups from up and down the transportation corridor.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: November 01, 2017, 02:06:52 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/21/i-25-gap-coalition-highway-expansion-monument-castle-rock/

Months after the Colorado Department of Transportation said it would accelerate its process to widen Interstate 25 between Colorado Springs and Denver, a group of Douglas and El Paso county officials are advocating for expediency when it comes to improving a particularly narrow stretch of the highway.

The I-25 Gap Coalition is focused mainly on a roughly 17-mile stretch of the interstate between Castle Rock and Monument, known as “the gap,” where the highway is four-lanes wide. It’s a dangerous segment of highway where two Colorado State Patrol troopers were stuck and killed by passing drivers while responding to calls in the area within 13 months of each other.

There was a ridiculous amount of traffic on that four-lane stretch. Was surprised to still see it that narrow. Plus the off-ramp for Greenland Road (Exit 167) is quite substandard and there are shuttered rest areas in both directions (though the southbound area can be used as a chain station).

sandwalk

• Northern Ohio Native

• Last Login: November 17, 2017, 11:51:55 PM
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »

People drive way too fast on that highway. Personally, I feel the 75mph speed limit is too high for such a stretch of substandard road with the volume of traffic it sees.

Gulol

• Last Login: Today at 01:33:04 PM
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »

People drive way too fast on that highway. Personally, I feel the 75mph speed limit is too high for such a stretch of substandard road with the volume of traffic it sees.

Couldn't agree more!  Added traffic plus trucks climbing up and over Monument Hill had led to an awful lot of road rage.  Thankfully there's still some sanity taking Hwy 83 down to the Springs and with traffic often lousy on I-25 south, it tends to be quicker.

I have wondered if a reduced speed limit would actually improve things on I-25 ... wonder if we'll see any change on that front.

dvferyance

• Last Login: November 17, 2017, 01:35:06 PM
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

The E 470 is a ripoff. You pay like $25 to drive a road that is like 45 miles long. It cost like $9 to drive the Tri State in Illinois which is 77 miles long and $18 to drive the entire Ohio Turnpike that is 240 miles long. If your going to the airport from the south or vise versa it's better just to take I-225 it may be a little longer but certainly worth avoiding the tolls.

rte66man

• Last Login: November 13, 2017, 05:38:23 PM
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »

The E 470 is a ripoff. You pay like $25 to drive a road that is like 45 miles long. It cost like $9 to drive the Tri State in Illinois which is 77 miles long and $18 to drive the entire Ohio Turnpike that is 240 miles long. If your going to the airport from the south or vise versa it's better just to take I-225 it may be a little longer but certainly worth avoiding the tolls.

According to their website:
https://www.expresstoll.com/Documents/2017%20Toll%20Rate%20Tables.pdf

It costs $14.50 for the entire length if you have an ExpressPass and $18.20 for non-Pass holders. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

dvferyance

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »

It costs $14.50 for the entire length if you have an ExpressPass and $18.20 for non-Pass holders.
Does that count the NW parkway segment or not? None then less it cost $8.80 drive Illinois tri state which is longer and about the same $18.25 to drive the entire Ohio Turnpike which is like 5 times longer. I will never drive it unless the tolls are one day removed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:02:30 PM by dvferyance »

rte66man

• Last Login: November 13, 2017, 05:38:23 PM
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

Does that count the NW parkway segment or not? None then less it cost $8.80 drive Illinois tri state which is longer and about the same $18.25 to drive the entire Ohio Turnpike which is like 5 times longer. I will never drive it unless the tolls are one day removed.

Apples and oranges.  Like when was the Ohio Turnpike built?  Like is it mostly urban or rural?  Like State run or like private entity? 

That's why America is such a great country.  You are free to shunpike to your heart's content.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

dvferyance

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

Apples and oranges.  Like when was the Ohio Turnpike built?  Like is it mostly urban or rural?  Like State run or like private entity? 

That's why America is such a great country.  You are free to shunpike to your heart's content.
Not sure about Ohio but I do know that the Indiana toll road is now private.

Gulol

• Last Login: Today at 01:33:04 PM
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »

It's an easy choice:  you don't have to drive it because it's not the only option to get from Point A to Point B as it is in other states with toll roads and/or bridges.  No doubt it's one of the priciest toll roads out there and there will continue to be annual increases from (I think) .10 to .25 each year for many years to come (30ish maybe?).  For me, this is what I like about it ... for the cost of a latte, I can get to the airport in 30 minutes from where I live consistently which I do frequently for work.  Without the toll road, it could take me anywhere from 45 minutes with no traffic to well over 90 minutes with traffic.  Supply and demand:  if E470 was free, it would be 45-90 minutes and that pricing to keep my drive time at 30 minutes is well worth it to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.