I-68 - MD 36: Westernport/Luke exit

Started by andrewkbrown, November 08, 2011, 05:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

Passing the sign frequently, I wonder:

What's in the Westernport/Luke, MD area that would require the sign on eastbound I-68 in Maryland that reads, "Exit 34, Westernport Luke, 32 miles"
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

NE2

You left out the most important part - the big yellow TRUCKERS at the top. (Unless the sign's been damaged so that's no longer there.) http://maps.google.com/maps?q=luke,+md&hl=en&ll=39.657216,-79.450507&spn=0.029405,0.082397&hnear=Luke,+Allegany,+Maryland&gl=us&t=m&z=15&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.657192,-79.450403&panoid=uIOZKNkH8-4z-F-hzIvLDg&cbp=12,144.61,,0,-9.33
They're telling truckers to use that exit rather than e.g. MD 42-US 219-MD 135, presumably because the grades are better.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: andrewkbrown on November 08, 2011, 05:20:02 PM
Passing the sign frequently, I wonder:

What's in the Westernport/Luke, MD area that would require the sign on eastbound I-68 in Maryland that reads, "Exit 34, Westernport Luke, 32 miles"

There's a NewPage Corporation (formerly Westvaco) paper mill in Luke, Maryland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

andrewkbrown

And that's it, questions answered.  :clap: I wondered what industry was there that needed to inform trucks that far in advance.
Thank you all.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.