News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2019, 12:58:16 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2019, 09:10:56 AM
(she felt it wasn't safe to stand in the road on a highway with a 65-mph speed limit).

He he.  I remember one time, my sister and her friends and I were driving from Denver back to northwestern Kansas in the evening after dark.  My sister was driving, and she was getting tired, worried about falling asleep at the wheel.  So she pulled over on the side of the road, and we all got out and started doing stretches and jumping-jacks in the middle of US-36.

I once stopped (I was by myself) in the right lane of I-495 in Delaware under an overpass in order to chip ice off my windshield wipers because the weather was bad enough that they'd become largely useless due to being caked with ice. There was so little traffic by that point that I wasn't much worried about stopping on the highway, and as I recall the shoulder was a mess so I didn't want to stop there. Looking back now, I probably I should have stopped for the night somewhere, but I was driving home from depositions in New Jersey and I didn't think the client would be likely to reimburse me for a hotel on the way home. (Why was I on I-495 coming back from New Jersey? The southern end of the Turnpike was closed due to weather issues. Instead of I-95 through Philadelphia and then I-495, I should have gone west to Harrisburg and then south.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ErmineNotyours

Adding to the brick road theme: 196th Ave NE in Redmond, Washington, said to be part of the Yellowstone Trail.

Yellowstone Road, 196th, Redmond, WA by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 15, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
Adding to the brick road theme: 196th Ave NE in Redmond, Washington, said to be part of the Yellowstone Trail.

I had no idea there was road in King County with that much brick paving! I gotta check that out.

Max Rockatansky

I-4 southbound in the heart of the "I-4 Ultimate" project zone looking towards Colonial Drive in downtown Orlando:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I-375 heading westward from I-275 into St. Petersburg:

I-275 descending the Sunshine Skyway Bridge headed south, the old Skyway Bridge can be seen on the right:

IMG_7297 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Old Tampa Highway (an old Dixie Highway segment) just off modern US 17/92 near Davenport, FL:

IMG_8729 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Old California 33 northbound on Coalinga-Mendota Road:

Max Rockatansky

Some stuff from this past weekend.

The San Mateo Bridge/CA 92 next to the original span:

Descending the raised span of the San Mateo Bridge on CA 92 eastbound:

IMG_9424 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 84 westbound approaching the Dumbarton Bridge:

The unbuilt CA 179 over the 1907 Thurber Bridge on Pleasant Valley Road:

IMG_0161 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 162 eastbound over Bidwell's Bar Bridge and Lake Oroville:

IMG_0610 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ipeters61

My first photo with my DSLR that I think is worthy of this thread: the DE-1 Roth Bridge in Saint Georges.  Photo taken near the Saint Georges Trailhead of the Michael Castle Trail.

Also it looks like Pasteboard (where I used to post my images for the forum) has decided to disable embed, so all my previous images are dead I guess?  :paranoid:
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

hotdogPi

Quote from: ipeters61 on February 17, 2019, 07:45:15 PM
Also it looks like Pasteboard (where I used to post my images for the forum) has decided to disable embed, so all my previous images are dead I guess?  :paranoid:

Looking at your post history, they are dead.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Ian

ME 11 southbound near Masardis, Maine. Mount Katahdin can barely be seen in the distance (look toward the upper center of the photo).

An empty I-95 near Lincoln, Maine. I can't imagine any other stretches of this road down the East Coast are this open at 3 o'clock in the afternoon!

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Some more Bay Area stuff.

I-580 west descending from Altamont Pass into Livermore:

IMG_1077 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I-80 on the Bay Bridge approaching Treasure Island west from Oakland:

IMG_1380 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The western terminus of I-280 entering downtown San Francisco to King Street:

I-80 on the Bay Bridge approaching San Francisco:

The Embarcadero approaching the Bay Bridge:

IMG_1492 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hyde Street south from the Pier climbing Russian Hill to Bay Street.  This was the original alignment of US 101 in San Francisco:

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 18, 2019, 06:23:09 PM
The Embarcadero approaching the Bay Bridge:

IMG_1492 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Damn, I love that western span of the Bay Bridge. Normally not a fan of infrastructure that's really imposing (Alaskan Way Viaduct, for example), but that bridge, somehow despite its hugeness, fits in brilliantly. The color too. Boring to some, but I think the way they've painted everything silver is really cool, almost reminiscent of the Akashi Kaikyo suspension bridge in Japan.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

The older bridge was kind of ugly in my opinion and if it wasn't connected to Yerba Buena Island/Treasure Island it would have been more of an eye sore than curiosity.  The new bridge seems to have taken some of the good elements from the Golden Gate Bridge with the suspension spans but put a modern twist on it that actually works.  Usually I'm not a fan of modern infrastructure design over old but the new Bay Bridge is definitely more pleasing to the eye.

ipeters61

Had a pretty nice view along US-113 when I was coming back from a day trip to Chincoteague VA.  The fog and peeking sun was enough for me to pull over to take a picture (from a parking lot).  This is somewhere between Millsboro DE and Georgetown DE.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

Looking through recent uploads...

Going down Rodens Gap on Alabama Route 227:

Big Dipper Ess on Morgan County 240 near Union Grove, Alabama:

I-8 through In-Ko-Pah Mountains near Ocotillo:

CA 163 through/below Balboa Park:

PA 505 south of Erie, where winter mixed with autumn:

Icicle Wonderland at the Pennsylvania - New York border (NY/PA 474):

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: formulanone on March 11, 2019, 09:10:05 PM
Looking through recent uploads...

Going down Rodens Gap on Alabama Route 227:

Big Dipper Ess on Morgan County 240 near Union Grove, Alabama:

I-8 through In-Ko-Pah Mountains near Ocotillo:

CA 163 through/below Balboa Park:

PA 505 south of Erie, where winter mixed with autumn:

Icicle Wonderland at the Pennsylvania - New York border (NY/PA 474):

CA 163 will always be my favorite urban freeway...the canyon and greenery and then BAM! Skyline and interchange with I-5.

Max Rockatansky

This picture of CA 84 west along San Gregorio Creek was really well received on the Gribblenation blog:

Max Rockatansky

Alameda County Route J2 at Corral Hollow Pass Tesla Road which was part of the El Camino Viejo:

Descending from Corral Hollow Pass east on Tesla Road:

IMG_0612 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/40446158043/in/dateposted-public/
Though built in 1957 with the opening of the Will Rogers Turnpike, its main service plaza looks like something from the future.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

CA 152 west heading towards Pacheco Pass past a full San Luis Reservoir:

CA 152 approaching Casa de Fruit.  Nothing really special about the location, I just liked the low cloud cover:

IMG_1134 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I-280 north approaching the San Andreas Fault and CA 92:

IMG_1296 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The beginning of I-80 east in San Francisco at US 101:

I-280 north from above looking towards San Francisco from Reservoir Hill in Daly City:

IMG_1384 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

My personal favorite from this past weekend; Patterson Pass Road looking eastward from the top of the pass at about 1,600 feet above sea level:

7/8

I'm surprised I didn't post more photos from my big trip last year.

CO 9 near Breckenridge:

A cyclist is heading up Pikes Peak, CO:

UT 128:

I-90 approaching the Missouri River in SD:

AsphaltPlanet

A few more from me:

Interstate 30 at the Bush Parkway interchange in DFW:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/30/I30_TX_cl_31-75_east_EB_Nov18_24x16.jpg

Interstate 69 near Houston, TX:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/69/I69_TX_dv_132-5_south_Nov18_24x16.jpg

I-295 in the outskirts of Jacksonville, FL:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/FL/I/295/I295_FL_dv_44_north_Apr18_24x16.jpg

Ontario Highway 401 near Pearson Airport:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_346_east_c-w_Apr15_24x16.jpg

The 407 in Markham, from a series of photos that have been sitting on my computer for 8.5 years:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_cl_85_west_Oct10_24x16.jpg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.