AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-73 in VA  (Read 86182 times)

Interstate 69 Fan

• You cannot deny that I-69 will never be completed.

• Last Login: April 21, 2019, 10:21:19 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #525 on: March 31, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »

Is I-73 north of I-81 pretty much dead? X-(
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 07:35:24 AM
« Reply #526 on: March 31, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »

Pretty much. The focus now is really from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach.

VTGoose

• Last Login: Today at 09:33:44 AM
« Reply #527 on: April 01, 2019, 11:08:29 AM »

It never really had much of a life beyond a fantasy road in Virginia. While I-81 to I-77 may be a bit longer to reach West Virginia from Roanoke, it exists as an interstate. To upgrade/replace U.S. 460 from Blacksburg to somewhere along the four-lane almost-interstate section in West Virginia just wouldn't work. The main problem is terrain and some sensitive areas around and along the New River. Given the bigger needs for other projects, it will be a long, long time before this plan gets a glimmer of attention.

sparker

• Last Login: April 21, 2019, 11:19:49 PM
« Reply #528 on: April 01, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »

It never really had much of a life beyond a fantasy road in Virginia. While I-81 to I-77 may be a bit longer to reach West Virginia from Roanoke, it exists as an interstate. To upgrade/replace U.S. 460 from Blacksburg to somewhere along the four-lane almost-interstate section in West Virginia just wouldn't work. The main problem is terrain and some sensitive areas around and along the New River. Given the bigger needs for other projects, it will be a long, long time before this plan gets a glimmer of attention.

And even after it intersects I-77 in WV, what are the chances of building out the section along US 52 northwest of there?  That particular set of projects, whether labeled the "King Coal" (a bit anachronistic by today's standards) or "Toilsa" parkways, has been promoted and subsequently reconfigured to the point where it is and likely will always be a series of spot improvements to a corridor becoming less and less significant as time passes, since the Great Lakes states marking the corridor's north & west termini have effectively washed their hands of the corridor.  Unless something else in that area crops up as an outlet (such as elevating the US 35 corridor to an Interstate) the concept of cutting maybe 5-10 miles off a Roanoke-Bluefield trip via an upgrade of US 460 is certainly not a cost-effective use of funds.  Planning for I-73 will cease at Roanoke for the time being.

wdcrft63

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 06:15:58 PM
« Reply #529 on: April 01, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »

At that point, "decision makers" will make the final decision on what gets built, either the previous I-73 alignment, or this new western alignment.

So technically, the eastern alternative isn't fully eliminated.
This is disingenuous. Once a western route is selected for this connector, the eastern alignment proposed for I-73 is dead. No one is going to build a second freeway around the other side of Martinsville.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 10:50:43 AM
« Reply #530 on: April 01, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »

At that point, "decision makers" will make the final decision on what gets built, either the previous I-73 alignment, or this new western alignment.  So technically, the eastern alternative isn't fully eliminated.
This is disingenuous. Once a western route is selected for this connector, the eastern alignment proposed for I-73 is dead. No one is going to build a second freeway around the other side of Martinsville.

My CTB-related post from Feb. 19th said that FHWA identified the Martinsville Southern Connection project as one that would meet the One Federal Decision (OFD) Executive Order, August 2018.  One of the first uses of that process.

It has no connection to the approved route north of Martinsville, MSC is its own project.  If they select the red route or the green route, it would only add 1 or 2 miles to the previously approved corridor between N.C. and I-81.  Today's neo-Interstate highways cater more toward local interests and development, than as compared to the original Interstate system.  Adding 1 or 2 miles would not obviate using the approved route north of Martinsville, and the city and county already planned the new developments along that route.
Scott M. Savage
-- Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 07:35:24 AM
« Reply #531 on: April 01, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »

At that point, "decision makers" will make the final decision on what gets built, either the previous I-73 alignment, or this new western alignment.  So technically, the eastern alternative isn't fully eliminated.

My CTB-related post from Feb. 19th said that FHWA identified the Martinsville Southern Connection project as one that would meet the One Federal Decision (OFD) Executive Order, August 2018.  One of the first uses of that process.

It has no connection to the approved route north of Martinsville, MSC is its own project.  If they select the red route or the green route, it would only add 1 or 2 miles to the previously approved corridor between N.C. and I-81.  Today's neo-Interstate highways cater more toward local interests and development, than as compared to the original Interstate system.  Adding 1 or 2 miles would not obviate using the approved route north of Martinsville, and the city and county already planned the new developments along that route.
From what I got out of the email from the project manager, this is a separate study to I-73. This plan could be scrapped in 5-10 years, and the 2012 approved I-73 alignment could still be constructed instead. It really depends on what it will cost, what will have the most benefits. Who knows, they could re-study I-73 north of Martinsville at a later date.

But what we do know is that the 2012 alignment approved for I-73 isn't fully dead, it's just on the back burner right now.

I believe the whole intent of a southern connector leading out of Martinsville was to connect to North Carolina's I-73 since nothing is happening north of them for quite a long time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.