AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best and Worst Main Thoroughfares in Each City?  (Read 352 times)

kevinb1994

• Your local source of road-related information.

• Last Login: Today at 04:31:48 AM
Best and Worst Main Thoroughfares in Each City?
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »

I know it seems like it could be a difficult subject, but what would you guys consider to be the best and worst main thoroughfares in each city?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:03:17 PM by kevinb1994 »

Flint1979

• Last Login: June 17, 2019, 10:28:01 PM
Re: Best and Worst Thoroughfares in Each City?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 05:24:18 PM »

Detroit
Best would probably be the Davison Freeway, Woodward Avenue, Grand River Avenue, Gratiot Avenue, Micihgan Avenue and I-96.

Worst would be I-75, M-10, M-39, I-94

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 01:02:33 AM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »

In Fresno I’d have to say Jensen Avenue is by far the fastest moving surface street in the city.  While there aren’t that many bad surface streets I’d say Golden State Boulevard ranks pretty high since the lights are timed and Shaw Avenue because of the college traffic.  The best freeway is CA 168 and the worst is CA 41. 

In Orlando FL 436 on Semoran Boulevard was by far the fastest surface street in the city.  US 17/92/441 had the most traffic bottlenecks, I usually stuck to Orange Avenue.  I-4 was obviously the worst limited access road in the city and FL 417 was the best toll facility. 

In Phoenix one of the worst surface streets was Bell Road west of AZ 51.  Scottsdale Road was pretty bad even after it was expanded in the early 2000s.  Most city streets on the whole fairly tame compared to most cities.  AZ 51 had the worst bottlenecks in downtown near I-10 whereas AZ 202 is generally congestion free. 

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever.

• Last Login: June 17, 2019, 09:04:10 PM
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 05:46:22 PM »

The first question is, how is a thoroughfare being defined?

Obviously, it is tough to compare surface streets with freeways. Excluding the latter, I would say, "there is no best, they're all 'worst'!"  :D
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!
Threads Started
Counties Clinched

thspfc

• Location: Weekdays: Madison, WI metro area. Weekends: Up north.
  • Last Login: June 17, 2019, 08:47:23 PM
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »

Move to general highway talk?
Anyways, for Madison I would say the worst are the Beltline, Verona Road, East Washington, Gorham, and Johnson. Four of those (spare the beltline which sucks for it's own reasons) have lots of traffic and lots of stoplights, so you're moving slow and burning gas.

kevinb1994

Re: Best and Worst Main Thoroughfares in Each City?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »

Anyways, for Madison I would say the worst are the Beltline, Verona Road, East Washington, Gorham, and Johnson. Four of those (spare the beltline which sucks for it's own reasons) have lots of traffic and lots of stoplights, so you're moving slow and burning gas.
Yeah, maybe this thread should be moved. Mods?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:02:53 PM by kevinb1994 »

kevinb1994

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »

Obviously, it is tough to compare surface streets with freeways. Excluding the latter, I would say, "there is no best, they're all 'worst'!"  :D
Maybe I should define it better. Lol

Main thoroughfares is what we’re talking about.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 12:13:22 AM
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »

Needs to define it better… proceeds to not be specific at all.

kevinb1994

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »

C’mon man! At least I tried.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:23:09 PM by kevinb1994 »

Rothman

• Last Login: June 17, 2019, 09:44:19 PM
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »

Best and worst in Albany metro:  Central Avenue. 

Has sections that work well, but the part through the Village of Colonie sucks because of lack of traffic signal coordination.

If we're including interstates, the Northway from the Twin Bridges south is pretty lousy...but you could blame that on idiots choosing to live north of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 01:20:44 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »

Worst: Mercer Street (now a boulevard that is harder to cross and more pedestrian-hostile), Rainier Avenue (free-for-all speedway), Denny Way (permanently congested), and pretty much most neighborhood arterials for safety and aesthetics.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »

C’mon man! At least I tried.

I think "main" was automatically implied as a feature of a thoroughfare.

Let me rephrase:
What characteristics must a main roadway have to qualify as a thoroughfare?
Threads Started
Counties Clinched

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: June 17, 2019, 05:12:15 PM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 01:17:10 AM »

Minneapolis:

Worst: Lyndale Avenue. Narrow undivided 4-lane street that’s traffic-choked with no turn lanes and frequent bus stoppage backups in the right lane. The Hennepin/Lyndale duplex on top of the I-94 tunnel is a special kind of hell.

Best: Washington Avenue

Duluth
Worst: 5th Avenue, especially if there’s an event at Bayfront Park
Best: Mesaba Avenue
It sucks that you think where I’m from is whack, but as long as that’s enough to keep your ass from coming back

Clinched 2dis: 24, 35, 39, 41, 43, 76 (W), 84 (E), 88 (both), 96, 97

ce929wax

• Last Login: Today at 02:45:18 AM
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 01:27:31 AM »

The worst in Kalamazoo is Westnedge Avenue, hands down.  People either drive too fast or too slow.  Best is Sprinkle Road, which has a 55 mph speed limit until BL I-94.

Flint1979

• Last Login: June 17, 2019, 10:28:01 PM
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »

For Saginaw, the worst is probably a tie between M-84 aka Bay Road and M-58 aka Davenport Avenue and State Street. Michigan Avenue has a lot of traffic lights. And Tittabawassee Road between M-47 aka Midland Road and I-675 has a lot of traffic especially near Bay Road. M-46 aka Gratiot Avenue has a lot of accidents mainly because of a 45 mph speed limit and several driveways close together.

The best M-13 aka Washington Avenue north of downtown it has a 50 mph speed limit and a 40 mph speed limit south of downtown. Downtown it has a 30 mph speed limit., I-675, I-75

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever.

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »

It seems like we're not including freeways.

In that case, Ridge Road is the worst. All of it, but especially in Webster.
Best is anything that is expressway grade or better, especially with well timed lights.
Threads Started
Counties Clinched

JREwing78

• Last Login: June 17, 2019, 09:10:24 PM
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »

I notice that you don't list the best - because honestly there really is none. Well, maybe Packers Ave - but that's mainly because Oscar Mayer is no longer in town.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 02:26:16 AM
« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:07:39 AM »

As it's now assumed we're dealing with surface routes only, some NorCal "thoroughfares" will be addressed:

San Jose:  Where to begin?  They all become clogged pipes during rush hour; one of the very worst is Meridian Avenue from I-280 south to at least Hillsdale Blvd.  Since there's no direct access to CA 85, traffic below there isn't particularly troublesome; north of Hillsdale, it's enough to be dangerous.   And it's "pothole central" as well.  In the north part of town, all the N-S arterials (North First, Zanker, Junction) that serve what has become the "heart" of tech employment go directly to hell from 6-9 each weekday morning and 3-7 in the afternoon.  And heading over to the east side, Tully Road is by far the worst of the worst for traffic, design, signal timing, frequency of lane-drop due to construction -- you name it, if it makes traffic worse, it shows up on Tully!

A bit to the northwest, El Camino Real (aka CA 82) is always good for a driver cry; between the periodic virtual stops (particularly around Lawrence Expressway) and the constant dodging of vehicles coming in and out of the endless roadside business establishments, it's not a fun drive -- and the constant state of reconstruction hardly helps.  If not for the fact that several great restaurants are sited on the facility, I'd avoid it like the plague!  Relevant cities:  Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mtn. View, Palo Alto. 

Best thoroughfare in the whole area, IMO:  Winchester Blvd. (the section between I-280 and Stevens Creek notwithstanding -- it's right by two major shopping centers in that short segment).  Rarely any backup, even in peak hours; tends to be a lot quicker that adjacent CA 17 during those times (it seems the overflow tends to head east to Bascom).  The fact that (a) it doesn't extend into the tech area along Central Expressway but instead ends across the tracks in downtown Santa Clara probably helps in this regard, and (b) it contains long stretches without significant crossing arterials to feed into it. 

Don't head up to Sacramento all that much these days, but have had recent experience with the historical "cloggers" of Howe, Watt, Fair Oaks, and Arden Way -- and not a lot has changed since I lived up there in the late '80's.  Streets that were nightmares then are the same -- if not worse -- today.  Of course, the deletion of all those freeways back in the '70's meant that those "grid" streets bear the brunt of commuter use.  Such is progress -- or the lack thereof!   :thumbdown:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.