News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New signage on Historic Columbia River Highway

Started by xonhulu, June 09, 2010, 10:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

I love this.  To me, it would equally cool to see both ODOT and WSDOT do this to old US-99 (where OR-99(x) or SR-99 doesn't exist).  These signs are very familar to the Historic US 101 signs I saw in San Diego County in 2005.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

xonhulu

Quote from: TEG24601 on October 10, 2013, 03:05:19 PM
I love this.  To me, it would equally cool to see both ODOT and WSDOT do this to old US-99 (where OR-99(x) or SR-99 doesn't exist).  These signs are very familar to the Historic US 101 signs I saw in San Diego County in 2005.

This signing does establish a precedent of putting historic route signage on a still-designated route.  However, I'd be surprised to see it along old 99 and its branches because it lacks the cachet of the HCRH, and I think there was a desire on the HCRH to have consistent signage along its drivable length.

And its not a coincidence that these signs remind you of California's.  As I noted in the OP, I read in the HCRH Advisory Committee minutes that they intentionally copied California's design because they felt it was superior to their old signs, which they thought were harder to read driving past.  There's a photo of one of the older signs in that original post.  I don't really agree with their reason, but I like the result of the historic US 30 signs, so no complaint here!

andy3175

This type of signing (Historic US xx Route on a brown rectangular sign) is not unique to California, although it's possible the design might have originated in California. I've seen similar variations in Iowa with Historic U.S. 6, and plenty of Historic U.S. route signs for U.S. 6, U.S. 80, U.S. 99, U.S. 101, and U.S. 395 in California. U.S. 30 in Oregon is the latest entry. Perhaps there are more elsewhere?

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Bickendan

If ODOT officially relocated US 30 to the HCRH while using the Historic US 30 signs, I wouldn't complain. I mean, US 30's barely signed on I-84 between Troutdale and Multnomah Falls, and that's the official US 30 corridor!

xonhulu

They should just for the sake of consistency.  US 30 is signed on the other 2 drivable segments of the HCRH, after all.

I wonder if they could also be talked into some historic 30 signage on the State Trail segments?

The one thing I don't understand is how could US 99 lack the same significance in history than US 30? US 99's predecessor, the Siskiyou Trail, was one of the reasons why Oregon was able to be settled in the first place. Not only that, but back in 1928, US 99 was the most "improved highway" in the U.S., having almost all of its route paved in concrete or asphalt (minus a section in the imperial valley and a small section in northern California). Also, the Pacific Highway was the first completely paved state highway in the west (that being done in Oregon). Lastly, US 99 has Sam Hill's name written all over it, just like the Columbia River Highway/US 30 does.

NE2

Quote from: 707 on December 09, 2013, 08:41:05 PM
The one thing I don't understand is how could US 99 lack the same significance in history than US 30?
The HCRH was a fucking engineering marvel. US 99 was just another important road that was improved using normal construction methods.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quote from: NE2 on December 09, 2013, 08:44:40 PM
The one thing I don't understand is how could US 99 lack the same significance in history than US 30?
The HCRH was a fucking engineering marvel. US 99 was just another important road that was improved using normal construction methods.

The Ridge Route was also a marvel in its own right, along with the Newhall Tunnel. I'm even tempted to go as far as to say the Alaskan Way Viaduct was as well (although current Seattle residents would beg to differ). Also, how is the first completely paved highway in the west not a marvel?

NE2

The Ridge Route should be celebrated to the extent that the HCRH is. But IIRC there's little if any signage for historic US 30 east of the HCRH.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quote from: NE2 on December 09, 2013, 09:36:12 PM
The Ridge Route should be celebrated to the extent that the HCRH is. But IIRC there's little if any signage for historic US 30 east of the HCRH.

Understandable. I have been talking to a man hoping to make the Ridge Route a National Scenic Byway, but I don't know if he'll succeed. Regardless, I support his movement. Thankfully, he did get it registered on the NRHP. Hopefully someday, people will see the Ridge Route's potential and post up Historic Ridge Route and Historic US 99 signs on it (even though US 99 was never signed on the Ridge Route, it was designated down it until about 1933).

xonhulu

Quote from: NE2 on December 09, 2013, 09:36:12 PM

True.  There are major still-drivable sections of old US 30 in eastern Oregon, and except the North Powder-to-Baker Hwy that's still signed as US 30, the rest are unmarked.  That's a shame, as at least the Old Emigrant Hill Road east of Pendleton is a pretty impressive highway itself, and nearly all of old 30 across the Blue Mountains is separated enough from I-84 to make a pleasant drive.

xonhulu

The major difference is that much of old US 99 is still signed as OR 99.  But I agree that I'd like to see historic signs put up on it, as well.

Quote from: xonhulu on December 09, 2013, 10:04:34 PM

The major difference is that much of old US 99 is still signed as OR 99.  But I agree that I'd like to see historic signs put up on it, as well.

Funny thing is AZ 89A, even though it's signed its whole route, carries dual signage as Historic US 89A. If Arizona can do it without trouble on AZ 66 and AZ 89A, I don't see why that would be a problem with OR 99, OR 99W and OR 99E.

xonhulu

I just came across this report, which explains that the Historic US 30 signs put up along the Mosier-The Dalles Hwy were part of a larger effort to establish consistent signage across the drivable and non-drivable sections of the Historic Hwy:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/HCRH/Documents/FINAL%20REPORT.pdf

I like that they're apparently even going to put small Historic US 30 Markers along the State Trail sections.  I didn't see any of those along the newly opened section between Yeon SP and Moffett Creek when I walked it last month, though.

Ace10

Quote from: andy3175 on October 12, 2013, 06:05:03 PM
This type of signing (Historic US xx Route on a brown rectangular sign) is not unique to California, although it's possible the design might have originated in California. I've seen similar variations in Iowa with Historic U.S. 6, and plenty of Historic U.S. route signs for U.S. 6, U.S. 80, U.S. 99, U.S. 101, and U.S. 395 in California. U.S. 30 in Oregon is the latest entry. Perhaps there are more elsewhere?

Regards,
Andy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.