News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cable TV in Orlando FL

Started by Brian556, August 11, 2013, 01:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

When in Orlando, I noticed a commercial on the radio for Verizon telephone service bundled with BrightHouse TV service. What's up with that? Is BrightHouse the cable company?, and why is it being bundled with Verizon phone service instead of FIOS? :hmmm:

Here in Texas, there are cable companies that serve different areas, and FIOS is offered by Verizon as a competing service.

txstateends

BrightHouse is a cable company; that area is one of several it serves.  I guess that area is probably one where Verizon doesn't have the line quality (or doesn't want to upgrade?) beyond regular phone service to offer a FiOS-like product.  There must be some kind of good deal involved for the 2 companies to be buddy-buddy like that.

My sister lives in an area that has Verizon local phone service but there's no FiOS availability there, probably because it's a small rural town, and Suddenlink is the cable franchise there; I would guess it wouldn't be profitable enough for Verizon to try to build out a whole system of FiOS there and not have enough ROI based on the few that might give it a try to be even remotely worth it.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

briantroutman

FiOS is more than just a meaningless brand name for any garden variety Internet or television service. The name refers to fiber-optic service directly your home. Normally, fiber-optic lines end at the local phone company switching office, and copper runs the last few miles (called the "local loop") to your address. With fiber to the premises, Verizon can provide very high bandwidth (theoretically up to 500 Mbps down/100 Mbps up), and the TV service and phone service is piggybacked on the same connection. But all of this is only possible if Verizon has replaced the traditional copper local loop in your area with fiber-optic cable.

SP Cook

Verizon FIOS is offered as a part of its landline phone service.  Verizon landline does business in the most of the northeast and parts of Texas and California.  The bundle you saw was for Verizon cellphone service with Brighthouse cable, cable based home phone, and internet.

RG407

Bright House Networks is the main cable TV operator in the Orlando/Central Florida area.  Verizon does not have landline phone service in the region, but they are the main landline company for the Tampa Bay area, including parts of Polk County.  AT&T and CenturyLink provide landline service for Orlanod and Central Florida.

realjd

I haven't seen these commercials. Like others said, our landline provider here is AT&T (formerly BellSouth). Brighthouse is a competitor with their VoIP service. We don't have FiOS here; our cable competitor is UVerse.

Brighthouse is the only good cable company I've done business with that I actually like. Their customer support in particular is fantastic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.