News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dancing Arrows Behaving Badly

Started by Ned Weasel, September 01, 2013, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Weasel

I used to like dancing arrows, because they allow all movements from all lanes to be signed in advance, providing the most information possible in situations with option lanes.  However, this brand new sign assembly has made me come around to the MUTCD's side of the story:

The main problem here is that the #4 lane also goes to US 69, so you have a deceptive use of dancing arrows, even though dancing arrows were somewhat intended to avoid deceptive signing practices.  Unfortunately, there's no good way to sign this set of interchanges at that point, because this is what happens down the road:

Lanes 1-2: EB I-435
Lane 3: EB I-435 or NB US 69
Lane 4: SB US 69 or NB Quivira Road
Lane 5: SB Quivira Road

I see this as a problem because, if you were unfamiliar with the area, if you came from NB I-35 (the ramp from which becomes the #4 lane on EB I-435), this sign would lead you to believe that you have to merge into the #3 lane if you want to access US 69, when, in fact, if you are headed toward SB US 69, you are better off in the #4 lane.  This could put unnecessary traffic into the #3 lane on EB I-435, making all three through lanes of EB I-435 less efficient at this point.

If it were up to me, I would replace this whole assembly with a single guide sign over the #4 lane, reading "EXITS 81-82: US 69/Quivira Rd" with a standard single-arrow "EXIT ONLY" panel.  When the #5 lane begins in advance Exit 82, the signs could then show that these are two separate interchanges (and then you'd have a rather complex set of APL signs if you wanted to stick to 2009 MUTCD standards).

Does anyone else have examples of deceptive dancing arrows?  I don't consider this example a design error, because it seems to have been designed exactly as intended, and I didn't want to put it in "The Worst of Road Signs" because it isn't a particularly ugly or sloppy sign assembly, so I made a new thread.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

Quote from NE2:
Quoteholy crap twerking arrows

At least they're not dresses like teddy bears

Brandon

Quote from: Brian556 on September 01, 2013, 03:10:13 PM
Quote from NE2:
Quoteholy crap twerking arrows

At least they're not dresses like teddy bears

Yeah, but there is something to be said for a nude bikini.  :biggrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.