Thruway widening between Exits 23 and 24 in Albany is complete

Started by Dougtone, November 20, 2013, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

After three years and almost $100 million later, work to add a travel lane in each direction on the New York State Thruway between Exits 23 and 24 in Albany is finally complete.

They even took some pictures...
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/45-000-trips-become-easier-4992856.php

xcellntbuy

I like the pictures from the Times-Union.  I'll have to travel this improved segment when I return to New York next summer.

Dougtone

The Thruway Authority really needs to expand on a road widening program, in my opinion.  I also have a number of pictures that I've taken of the widening in Albany, but the photos are not online at this time.

Duke87

Quote from: Dougtone on November 20, 2013, 05:29:10 PM
The Thruway Authority really needs to expand on a road widening program, in my opinion.

The Thruway needs to be six-laned from exits 16 to 23, eight-laned from exits 15 to 16, and ten-laned from exits 8 to 15. Of those, the first is the most likely to actually happen.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dougtone

In my opinion, widening the Thruway between Exits 47 and 50 would also be a good idea, although widening the Thruway between Harriman and Albany would be a better idea.

mc78andrew

It's gotta happen sometime.  Long over due.  I donno if they are in a position to take on a major project though with the tappan see bridge replacement keeping everyone busy for the next few years. 

I still cannot believe they are spending over 3B on the new bridge and not making any improvements in rockland county.  The bottle neck in nyack and at palisades center will get worse when the bridge is done.  I'm not saying the bridge is a bad idea, I'm just saying they will swing and miss if rockland county expansion isn't considered soon. 

Alps

Quote from: mc78andrew on November 20, 2013, 11:32:35 PM
It's gotta happen sometime.  Long over due.  I donno if they are in a position to take on a major project though with the tappan see bridge replacement keeping everyone busy for the next few years. 

I still cannot believe they are spending over 3B on the new bridge and not making any improvements in rockland county.  The bottle neck in nyack and at palisades center will get worse when the bridge is done.  I'm not saying the bridge is a bad idea, I'm just saying they will swing and miss if rockland county expansion isn't considered soon. 
They also swung and missed on the bridge, it should have been 5 lanes each way instead of 4. (Yes, I know there's room for more facilities - strong possibility they end up spending more money to knock out some barriers and get the extra lanes in there.) Build what you can now, plan the rest as soon as you have money.

hotdogPi

On my trip to Ithaca NY this summer, I saw construction on the Thruway (I was going from the Berkshire Connector to I-88). Was this the same thing?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on November 21, 2013, 12:35:57 AM
They also swung and missed on the bridge, it should have been 5 lanes each way instead of 4. (Yes, I know there's room for more facilities - strong possibility they end up spending more money to knock out some barriers and get the extra lanes in there.) Build what you can now, plan the rest as soon as you have money.

More (lanes) is good at this crossing. 

But on the flipside, the NYSTA could use variable pricing to manage/limit demand there - and bring in more toll revenue at the same time.

No idea if any of that is politically acceptable.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mc78andrew

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 21, 2013, 04:02:19 PM
Quote from: Steve on November 21, 2013, 12:35:57 AM

More (lanes) is good at this crossing. 

But on the flipside, the NYSTA could use variable pricing to manage/limit demand there - and bring in more toll revenue at the same time.

No idea if any of that is politically acceptable.

I think people are very accustom to tolls here so I think the pols could get over it.  Although there would be the Lexus lane comments etc. 

My round trip toll from westchester to Villanova pa was 45 bucks.  That's with my ezpass discount at the GWB and Henry Hudson bridge. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.