News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

First Diverging Diamond Interchange in Central PA

Started by jpi, March 16, 2016, 07:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Exit 4 of I-83 at PA 851 in the growing "exburb" of Shrewsbury. Could we see another central PA road meet by 2019?? :sombrero:
http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2016/03/16/new--83-exit-design-shrewsbury-revealed/81824606/
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel
But not for much longer! ;-)

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on March 16, 2016, 07:51:36 PM
Exit 4 of I-83 at PA 851 in the growing "exburb" of Shrewsbury. Could we see another central PA road meet by 2019?? :sombrero:
http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2016/03/16/new--83-exit-design-shrewsbury-revealed/81824606/

Well I guess we should also keep track to see if I-83 gets widened to six lanes in York before scheduling that.   ;-)  (older link)  I do not know much about Shrewsbury itself, but I have noticed that going south on I-83 services seem to be somewhat limited between there and the Baltimore suburbs.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 17, 2016, 12:14:46 AM
Quote from: jpi on March 16, 2016, 07:51:36 PM

Well I guess we should also keep track to see if I-83 gets widened to six lanes in York before scheduling that.   ;-)  (older link)  I do not know much about Shrewsbury itself, but I have noticed that going south on I-83 services seem to be somewhat limited between there and the Baltimore suburbs.

Good point about the widening, will keep an eye on this, Shrewsbury is one of the larger boroughs in southern York County and has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years so there is more services off that exit then any other exit between Leaders Heights (exit 14) and Hunt Valley (exit 20) in Maryland.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel
But not for much longer! ;-)

froggie

There are a fair bit of services at Exit 4 (which I've sometimes partaken in).  Some of it is that the area is just as much bedroom community to Baltimore as it is a suburb of York.  There's a bit of money in northern Baltimore County so that has also inhibited growth between the Hunt Valley area (Exit 20 in MD) and the state line.

As for this interchange becoming a DDI, color me unsurprised.  851 is pretty narrow underneath and to fix that would require a complete replacement of the I-83 overpass over 851.  And there's a lot of turning traffic at the interchange, especially to/from the west on 851 (where the vast bulk of commercialization has been).  This is PennDOT's attempt to squeeze as much capacity as they can out of the interchange without a full (and expensive) rebuild.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: froggie on March 17, 2016, 04:04:34 PM
851 is pretty narrow underneath and to fix that would require a complete replacement of the I-83 overpass over 851. 

Which, according to the article, is being completely replaced with a wider span that can potentially accommodate 6 lanes.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.