News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Extended Ice Closure of I-10 in FL Panhandle

Started by Brian556, January 30, 2014, 05:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Based on Google Maps Traffic data, I can infer that a section of I-10 between Crestview and Defuniak Springs is still closed. Previously, it looks like the entire section from Pensacola to Tallahassee was closed.

Is this unprecedented? Has it happened before?

Traffic appears to have been detoured to US 90, because it is getting data. How does this help? US 90 was hit just as hard as I-10.
The only possible benefit to this I can see is that it might have a few less bridges, and encourage slower speeds due it not being controlled access.

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on January 30, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
Traffic appears to have been detoured to US 90, because it is getting data. How does this help? US 90 was hit just as hard as I-10.
The only possible benefit to this I can see is that it might have a few less bridges, and encourage slower speeds due it not being controlled access.
Probably the latter. And it will cause some to turn back when they realize they won't be able to go at freeway speeds. Putting all traffic on US 90 allows them to concentrate their efforts on keeping a single road open, and there's likely not enough traffic to overwhelm it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Brian556 on January 30, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
Based on Google Maps Traffic data, I can infer that a section of I-10 between Crestview and Defuniak Springs is still closed. Previously, it looks like the entire section from Pensacola to Tallahassee was closed.

Is this unprecedented? Has it happened before?

Presumably fewer bridges on US 90 to collect ice...

richllewis

This is also a part of the weird weather we have been having. If we did not have an Arctic clipper which dipped all the way to the Gulf Coast and beyond we wouldn't be talking about I-10 and the Ice on the bridges and roads. Be lucky that the temps will be rising the next couple of days to around normal and the Ice will disappear just as it should.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.