Incomplete or inappropriate bannered U.S. routes

Started by The High Plains Traveler, December 29, 2013, 02:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Business US 64 in Wynne, AR ends at AR 1 and does not connect to US 64 on the western end.

apeman33

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2013, 01:33:51 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 30, 2013, 12:34:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 29, 2013, 10:10:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the US 183 bypass in Kansas was signed along I-70 once upon a time.

I traveled to Kansas City on I-70 a number of times in the early-mid aughts and never saw it posted on I-70. I've also gotten off the freeway at U.S. 183 to the north to buy fuel and didn't see the supposed north beginning of the bypass posted there.

I'm going off memory for my one time through the area, in 1991. I wonder if the route is marked on Kansas official maps? (If there's an inset for that location...)

There is an inset for Hays on Kansas maps. My personal experience (which comes entirely from memory since I haven't been in Hays for over 10 years).
* Bypass 183 has always been signed that way, on that southwest loop only and never anywhere else. I've also never seen any indication that there has been or was to intended to be an extension north from I-70 back to U.S. 183. Perhaps Richie has more info.
* Kansas has signed/does sign some bypass routes that ought to be signed "SPUR" rather than "BYPASS". U.S. 183 in Hays is one of them. Also, there was once a Bypass U.S. 50 in Garden City that would have been more appropriate as a spur as it's purpose was to get traffic from U.S. 50 to (then) U.S. 156 without having to go all the way downtown. That purpose was taken over later by Spur U.S. 83, which is now part of the mainline for 50, 83 and 400.

route56

Quote from: apeman33 on January 01, 2014, 12:15:15 PM
* Bypass 183 has always been signed that way, on that southwest loop only and never anywhere else. I've also never seen any indication that there has been or was to intended to be an extension north from I-70 back to U.S. 183. Perhaps Richie has more info.

There's no indication that the US 183 Bypass was ever planned to loop back to US 183 North of I-70.  Bypass US 183 was created, in part, out of an old US 40 bypass. It was originally designated as "Alternate" US 183, but in 1981, was re-bannered as "By-Pass" The Rural Reslution changing the designation also indicates that, de jure, the US 183 by-pass is designated along I-70.

* Kansas has signed/does sign some bypass routes that ought to be signed "SPUR" rather than "BYPASS". U.S. 183 in Hays is one of them. Also, there was once a Bypass U.S. 50 in Garden City that would have been more appropriate as a spur as it's purpose was to get traffic from U.S. 50 to (then) U.S. 156 without having to go all the way downtown. That purpose was taken over later by Spur U.S. 83, which is now part of the mainline for 50, 83 and 400.

I show that spur (which was between then-US 50S and US 50N) as being bannered as a spur, rather than bypass.

The State Highway Commission did not use the "Business" banner initially... either they were bannered "Alternate" or what is now the Mainline was bannered as "By-Pass." The Banners were changed by resolution in April of 1981 (the series of US Highway related resolutions also demoted 154, 156, and 383 to K-numbered routes)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

bugo

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 29, 2013, 11:05:56 PM
BYPASS US 71 in Alexandria - follows I-49 between its junctions with US 71/MacArthur Drive on either side of the city. Completely concurrent with I-49, so what's the point?

From what I understand, that stretch of I-49 was built before the rest of the highway, and served as a bypass of US 71, so that's where it got its name.  Now it's redundant, but for some reason they haven't decommissioned it.

Is Bypass US 71 signed on I-49?  Pics?

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: bugo on January 16, 2014, 08:32:00 PM
Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 29, 2013, 11:05:56 PM
BYPASS US 71 in Alexandria - follows I-49 between its junctions with US 71/MacArthur Drive on either side of the city. Completely concurrent with I-49, so what's the point?

From what I understand, that stretch of I-49 was built before the rest of the highway, and served as a bypass of US 71, so that's where it got its name.  Now it's redundant, but for some reason they haven't decommissioned it.

Is Bypass US 71 signed on I-49?  Pics?

I am nearly 100% certain that the Alexandria urban section was one of the last segments of original I-49 constructed and opened, just before the Shreveport urban section (completed 1996). I vividly remember a family trip in 1991 or whereabouts when we had to pass through Alexandria via MacArthur Drive (US 71) and LA 1 because the freeway was still incomplete through the city. To be precise, the freeway ended at US 71 south of town and picked up again at LA 498 (Airbase Road) near what is now Alexandria Int'l Airport. IIRC, the Bypass US 71 designation was commissioned around 1999 or so.

bugo

Quote from: DandyDan on December 31, 2013, 07:12:03 AM
There's one in Nebraska for Business US 275 in Fremont.  Essentially, it follows the old highway, but when you are going south on Bell, it just suddenly disappears at Morningside.  I always assumed this is because Business US 275 is purely Fremont's idea, as it could easily be extended southeastward to NE 36 and then take the short trek eastward to US 275.  It could also easily go eastward on Morningside, since Morningside has an exit from US 275, but I'm not sure about the quality of that road.

There was a US 275A signed along old US 275 soon after the freeway was opened.  I don't have pictures, but Neil Bratney was with me on that trip and can confirm the signs were there.  I don't know how long this lasted, but it was definitely there (I believe it was 2002 when we took that trip).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: route56 on January 16, 2014, 07:31:37 PM
There's no indication that the US 183 Bypass was ever planned to loop back to US 183 North of I-70.  Bypass US 183 was created, in part, out of an old US 40 bypass.

Wow, Richie, I didn't know that.   You learn something new every day.  Thanks for the info.

bugo

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 16, 2014, 08:52:09 PM
I am nearly 100% certain that the Alexandria urban section was one of the last segments of original I-49 constructed and opened, just before the Shreveport urban section (completed 1996). I vividly remember a family trip in 1991 or whereabouts when we had to pass through Alexandria via MacArthur Drive (US 71) and LA 1 because the freeway was still incomplete through the city. To be precise, the freeway ended at US 71 south of town and picked up again at LA 498 (Airbase Road) near what is now Alexandria Int'l Airport. IIRC, the Bypass US 71 designation was commissioned around 1999 or so.

Guess my observation was incorrect.  It doesn't make any sense if it wasn't commissioned until 1999.  I don't remember if there were signs or not when I went through there in 1998 on the way to Florida.

bugo

Quote from: xonhulu on December 30, 2013, 01:08:36 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 29, 2013, 02:32:49 PM
Both function as spurs and probably should be designated as such. Does AASHTO recognize and approve U.S. Spur routes?

I forgot to answer this last night.  I assume the answer is yes, as there are two instances of US 95 SPUR in Payette and Weiser, Idaho, the latter actually extending into Oregon.

Isn't this old US 630, the 2 mile long US highway?  Somebody should take down the Spur 95 signs (there can't be more than a few) and replace them with US 630 signs.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on January 16, 2014, 09:11:16 PM
Isn't this old US 630, the 2 mile long US highway?  Somebody should take down the Spur 95 signs (there can't be more than a few) and replace them with US 630 signs.

next time I'm there, I can put up a cutout or two.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

apeman33

Quote from: route56 on January 16, 2014, 07:31:37 PM
I show that spur (which was between then-US 50S and US 50N) as being bannered as a spur, rather than bypass.

It could have been a spur in the books but I specifically remember it being signed "By-Pass." However, I've never pretended to believe my memory is close to perfect. Spur 83 is the first route I remember seeing signed as a spur anywhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.