News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Completely revert to old Google Maps (w/ old color scheme)

Started by jakeroot, June 10, 2014, 03:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Reverting back to old Google Maps:

I am part of the minority of users that like the new Google Maps. However, there are lots of you out there, that quite reasonably, prefer the old Google Maps. This is a short tutorial for completely reverting back to the old Google Maps, as well as reverting to the old color scheme.

Caution: Google Chrome is required for the color-scheme reversal

Reverting to the old maps:

1) From the new Google Maps, go to the bottom of the screen, and select the 'question mark'
2) In the new window, select "Return to Classic Google Maps"
3) Give feedback (optional)
4) Again, click "Return to Classic Google Maps"
5) In the yellow box, select "Yes" if you'd like Google to remember your choice of maps
5A) Should you select "Yes", clearing your cache using this extension will return you to the new Google Maps

For the color scheme:

1) Download this Google Chrome extension
2) Click the new icon in the top right of Google Chrome for the extension (big 'S')
3) For the new rule, input "&src=app" in the first box and "&src=apiv3&style=37%7Csmartmaps, 59" in the second box
4) Select "Add"

You should, upon a refresh of Google Maps should it be open, be able to use Google Maps AND use the old color scheme.

The old color scheme is especially helpful for UK residents where Google did away with properly-colored streets (blue for motorway, green for A-roads). It is less helpful for those of us in North America, but still an interesting throwback should you be interested.

Top Tip:

Should you be like me and prefer both (mood-dependent), this process also works with Google Maps Canada. Applying the above change to Google Maps Canada and leaving Google Maps US alone will allow you to "go back in time" by visiting the Canadian version, but keep in the present with the US version.

If this has already been shared, well, cock.

english si

Quote from: jake on June 10, 2014, 03:15:20 AMThe old color scheme is especially helpful for UK residents where Google did away with properly-colored streets (blue for motorway, green for A-roads).
Green for primary A roads, orange for other A roads, blue for B roads (I should point out that American-style 'colour by standard' had crept in on the orange-yellow-white layers).

The New map colour scheme is Dark orange for motorways, light orange for primary A roads, grey for everything else. That sucks! Even outside the UK, Ireland, Japan that had special colour schemes: the maps have lost a lot of definition, especially wrt Expressways - as pointed out at great length here.

ARMOURERERIC

O was an iGoogle user, loved it, then had the forced switch to Google Chrome, finally got so disgusted I actually switched to Yahoo and like it much better.  The switch automatically reverted back to old Google maps.  Hopefully Google will realize, like Microsoft, that all these user surveys showing an overwhelming consumer desire to have the same view experience across all internet accessing devices, do not manifest themselves that way, when the change is actually made.

I got a nag for 13 months that iGoogle was going away on November 1, 2013.  After procrastinating and finally deciding to save my bookmarks, I was unforgivably ticked off when I found I Google gone permanently on October 25.

jeffandnicole

Usually when a new version is forced upon me, once I get beyond that learning curve, I'm fine with it.

I just can't figure out the new google maps though.  Everything that I liked about the old version is gone or extremely hard to find.

D-Dey65

I have problems with the new Google maps, but not with the color scheme. My problem is I can't control the damn thing.

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 16, 2014, 12:28:50 PM
I have problems with the new Google maps, but not with the color scheme. My problem is I can't control the damn thing.

I've noticed that on laptops, the new Google Maps has a tendency to zoom out at an extreme speed, to the point where it goes from a 100 foot scale to a 1 MILE scale with one flick on the track pad. It's ridiculous. And I originally thought I was flicking too hard, but even the slightest flick throws it waaay off.

D-Dey65

Oh, trust me; It's not just laptops that have this problem.

I also have gigantic problems controlling the rotation.

txstateends

It would be nice if I could get the business center computers at my hotel to revert back.  Somebody stuck them on the new version, and it sits there.  No zooming, no directions, no browsing, no maps-to-sat aerial toggle, nothing.  If I were to be able to manipulate the settings, it would forget them once the computer has been idle for more than 2 minutes.  Maybe one night when I have time I'll talk to hotel support about it and see IF they can do anything.  Amazingly, I've had no complaints about the situation so far.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

hotdogPi

You can mostly revert to the old color scheme by going into Google Mapmaker.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.