News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California 1973

Started by Ingsoc75, January 03, 2016, 12:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimMoonXP

Does anybody remember the speed limit increased in late 1995? From 55 to 65 MPH in San Diego, CA metro area!

mrsman

I absolutely remember when CA raised the speed limit, although not SD specifically.  Basically every freeway was raised to 65 or higher,except for the oldest sections.

I'm from LA and the only parts that didn't get upped were the freeways around Downtown LA and the entire Arroyo Seco Parkway.  It always surprised me that the 101 was 55 all the way to Cauhenga Pass, whereas I-10 was 65 just a mile from the SB Split.

SimMoonXP

That awesome! Do you still have your Thomas Guide mapbooks?

F350

The capital beltway was signed at 70 before the '73 crisis. Since then, it's only gone back up to 65. Some places just won't budge, despite history.

Funny thing, I felt safer driving at 55 in my lunky air-cooled '83 Vanagon before the repeal than right now.

Rothman

Heh.  When I lived in Greenbelt, the "joke" was that the Beltway wasn't enforced speed-wise during those precious few non-rush-hour hours so we could enjoy a little freedom, at least.

That was also before the reconfiguration of the Georgia Ave exit.  It is no exaggeration to claim that there was an accident a day at that interchange at the weave point heading westbound on the Beltway back then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

texaskdog

Quote from: kkt on January 22, 2016, 03:45:25 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 22, 2016, 02:17:46 PM
Can you imagine a 55 MPH maximum speed limit now?

Yes, I'm happy that the speed limit on rural freeways is higher than 55.  I'm not sure what that has to do with speed limits on residential streets.

They were two unrelated comments.  The mods frequently beat me up for too many posts in a row :P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.