News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Staten Island Expressway notorious congestion

Started by J Route Z, August 23, 2014, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2014, 05:38:19 PM
According to the NYS DMV, a solid white line means that lane changes are permitted only when obstructions or traffic conditions require them. http://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-4-traffic-control-2
Define "when traffic conditions require them." If you're not certain, then that's why people do it constantly.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on November 10, 2014, 05:04:46 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2014, 05:38:19 PM
According to the NYS DMV, a solid white line means that lane changes are permitted only when obstructions or traffic conditions require them. http://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-4-traffic-control-2
Define "when traffic conditions require them." If you're not certain, then that's why people do it constantly.

Section 3B.04, paragraph 30 of the 2009 MUTCD specifically states:

QuoteWhere crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of a solid
double white line

Section 3B.04, paragraph 30A of the 2011 New York State Supplement states:

QuoteA solid double white line is used where lane changing is legally prohibited by official
regulation. An order, ordinance, rule, or regulation establishing specific lane changing
prohibitions for a particular section of roadway is necessary for no-lane-changing markings
to be "official markings,"  as referred to in Section 1128(d) of the New York State Vehicle and
Traffic Law.

Basically, in New York, a law has to be passed to prohibit changing lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AMLNet49

Whenever I'm in New York (which I am quite frequently), I always call the Gowanus Expressway by that name, but I never paid close attention to traffic reports (I just use google traffic). So do traffic reporters call it the Gowanus Expressway? And how about non roadgeeks in normal conversation?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on November 10, 2014, 05:17:31 PM
QuoteA solid double white line is used where lane changing is legally prohibited by official
regulation. An order, ordinance, rule, or regulation establishing specific lane changing
prohibitions for a particular section of roadway is necessary for no-lane-changing markings
to be "official markings,"  as referred to in Section 1128(d) of the New York State Vehicle and
Traffic Law.

No. An order, ordinance, rule, or regulation needs to be passed.  This is true for EVERY.  SINGLE.  TRAFFIC.  CONTROL.  DEVICE. 

In most (or all) states, there is a basic speed limit where if a road is not marked otherwise, the speed limit is the state mandated speed limit.  If the state speed limit on rural roads is 55, but a town, county, or transportation department deems 50 mph is appropriate, an order, ordinance, rule or regulation must be adopted and approved by the appropriate authority.   

If a stop sign is to be installed at a particular intersection, an order, ordinance, rule or regulation is required.

If a road is to be changed from a passing zone to a non-passing zone, same thing.

If a bus stop is to be placed on a road, same thing.

In short, every sign you seen out there on the road, if it's official, has to be authorized beforehand.  Now, the next question will be: How do you know?  For the most part, people don't.  But let's say you get a ticket for going over a 40 mph speed limit.  Most people will just pay it.  Someone decides that they want to fight it, and knows how to fight it.  They go to the authority that has jurisdiction on that roadway, and files a request to get the speed limit data.  They are provided with information stating the speed limit is 45 mph.  Upon asking for info regarding the 40 mph limit, it's determined that none exists.  Thus, the speed limit is illegally posted, the person *should* win in court, and the speed limit *should* be updated to reflect 45 mph.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 13, 2014, 12:18:24 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 10, 2014, 05:17:31 PM
Traffic Law.

No. An order, ordinance, rule, or regulation needs to be passed.  This is true for EVERY.  SINGLE.  TRAFFIC.  CONTROL.  DEVICE. 

In most (or all) states, there is a basic speed limit where if a road is not marked otherwise, the speed limit is the state mandated speed limit.  If the state speed limit on rural roads is 55, but a town, county, or transportation department deems 50 mph is appropriate, an order, ordinance, rule or regulation must be adopted and approved by the appropriate authority.   

If a stop sign is to be installed at a particular intersection, an order, ordinance, rule or regulation is required.

If a road is to be changed from a passing zone to a non-passing zone, same thing.

If a bus stop is to be placed on a road, same thing.

In short, every sign you seen out there on the road, if it's official, has to be authorized beforehand.  Now, the next question will be: How do you know?  For the most part, people don't.  But let's say you get a ticket for going over a 40 mph speed limit.  Most people will just pay it.  Someone decides that they want to fight it, and knows how to fight it.  They go to the authority that has jurisdiction on that roadway, and files a request to get the speed limit data.  They are provided with information stating the speed limit is 45 mph.  Upon asking for info regarding the 40 mph limit, it's determined that none exists.  Thus, the speed limit is illegally posted, the person *should* win in court, and the speed limit *should* be updated to reflect 45 mph.

From Merriam-Webster:

or·di·nance
noun \ˈȯrd-nən(t)s, ˈȯr-də-nən(t)s\

a law or regulation made by a city or town government

I never said that it was the only thing that requires an ordinance.

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 13, 2014, 09:19:57 AM
Whenever I'm in New York (which I am quite frequently), I always call the Gowanus Expressway by that name, but I never paid close attention to traffic reports (I just use google traffic). So do traffic reporters call it the Gowanus Expressway? And how about non roadgeeks in normal conversation?

It's considered by many to be an extension of the BQE, but I've heard it referred to as both.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

My former boss insisted it was all the BQE. I didn't care, I made sure our reports said "Gowanus."

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on November 13, 2014, 11:28:48 PM
My former boss insisted it was all the BQE. I didn't care, I made sure our reports said "Gowanus."

WCBS-880 traffic reporters say "Gowanus".

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.