News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MASSIVE fire at Toyota Warehouse on US 1 in North Brunswick

Started by Zeffy, July 22, 2015, 07:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2015/07/firefighter_battling_massive_north_brunswick_wareh.html#incart_river_mobile

The fire has grown rapidly and is affecting traffic on US 1. As of now, the Livingston Ave exit ramps are closed. If the wind shifts direction, both US 1 and the NJTransit lines could be shut as well. The nearby neighborhood is being evacuated since the smoke is so thick and expansive. Reports say you can see the smoke from an office tower in Manhattan.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

empirestate

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

I can see it from my office building in Trenton, about 22 miles away.

I actually first noticed it - although I didn't know what it was - on Rt. 29 near the Trenton Tunnel.  From that perspective it looked like it was near the Delaware River.

jeffandnicole

At least currently, The NJDOT Rt. 1 Traffic Cameras at Henderson Rd, Ryders Lane and US 130 (and possibly others) shows the smoke as well.

J Route Z

Any major road closures?

Actually it looks like Route 26 is closed.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2015, 09:10:45 AM
At least currently, The NJDOT Rt. 1 Traffic Cameras at Henderson Rd, Ryders Lane and US 130 (and possibly others) shows the smoke as well.
There is smoke also at NJ 18/US 1.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Pete from Boston

ixnay

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2015, 08:55:46 AM

Damn, my office building is in Ewing (it's only 2 floors though), but I couldn't see any smoke. What floor is that on? (And what building is that? I can't recall a lot of 12+ story buildings in Trenton...)

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

KEVIN_224

That satellite photo, sadly, reminded me of another nearly straight plume of smoke which showed up on satellite photos: 9/11. :(

Any word of if it directly affected Amtrak or NJ Transit? The Amtrak website had no advisories posted this morning.

Zeffy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 22, 2015, 09:34:58 PM
That satellite photo, sadly, reminded me of another nearly straight plume of smoke which showed up on satellite photos: 9/11. :(

It did for me as well. The thickness of the smoke instantly brings back memories of the inferno in the World Trade Center...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on July 22, 2015, 09:20:23 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2015, 08:55:46 AM

Damn, my office building is in Ewing (it's only 2 floors though), but I couldn't see any smoke. What floor is that on? (And what building is that? I can't recall a lot of 12+ story buildings in Trenton...)

Floor 9 of a 14 story building.  Yep, there aren't too many that tall in this town!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 22, 2015, 09:34:58 PM

Any word of if it directly affected Amtrak or NJ Transit? The Amtrak website had no advisories posted this morning.

I think there were some delays during the day, but there's been delays 3 days already this week for heat and other issues, so today's delays may or may not have had anything to do with the fire.

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on July 22, 2015, 08:47:09 AM
Do fires have mass?

iPhone
No, they are energy (heat and light). When things lose mass as they burn, that all goes into the ash that either flies in the air or settles to the ground.

jakeroot

Normally I'd be pretty impressed by a large scale fire, but lately out west, spontaneous combustion of literally anything has become alarmingly commonplace.

Mergingtraffic

I was on the NJ Tpke taking sign pics and some of my pics have the smoke in the background.  I'll post them to my Flickr page soon.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on July 22, 2015, 11:43:01 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 22, 2015, 08:47:09 AM
Do fires have mass?

iPhone
No, they are energy (heat and light). When things lose mass as they burn, that all goes into the ash that either flies in the air or settles to the ground.

But aren't they also combusting gases? Gases certainly do have mass.

iPhone

ekt8750

Fires are the result of atoms reacting with oxygen atoms. The byproduct of those reactions are heat and light energy along with the smoke (a solid/gas mixture) which is the resulting matter. Remember the law of conservation of energy and matter. lol

Alps

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 23, 2015, 02:19:17 PM
Fires are the result of atoms reacting with oxygen atoms. The byproduct of those reactions are heat and light energy along with the smoke (a solid/gas mixture) which is the resulting matter. Remember the law of conservation of energy and matter. lol
Right. The smoke is matter, the fire is not.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on July 23, 2015, 05:49:59 PM

OK, so this isn't a massive fire after all–but it's producing massive smoke, is that it?

iPhone

ixnay

Quote from: empirestate on July 23, 2015, 06:45:00 PM

OK, so this isn't a massive fire after all–but it's producing massive smoke, is that it?

iPhone

Apparently empirestate wasn't trying to be funny in the wake of the first syllable of the thread title after all...

ixnay

empirestate

Quote from: ixnay on July 23, 2015, 06:54:03 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 23, 2015, 06:45:00 PM

iPhone

Apparently empirestate wasn't trying to be funny in the wake of the first syllable of the thread title after all...

ixnay

No, "funny" would be too generous a word. Levitous, perhaps, is a more accurate (and apropos) term.

Mergingtraffic

You can see the smoke in the bottom half of the photo

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jakeroot

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.