News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Un-paved State Highways

Started by DesertDog, July 26, 2014, 08:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

OR 27 supposedly has an unpaved section.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Bickendan on April 23, 2015, 01:25:26 PM

A lengthy one, about 20 miles. Interestingly, it's not over that bad of terrain — sage flats and wide, shallow ravines. But with a paved parallel route nearby, can't imagine ODOT will ever prioritize paving the southern segment.

Bickendan

Quote from: NickCPDX on April 23, 2015, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on April 23, 2015, 01:25:26 PM

A lengthy one, about 20 miles. Interestingly, it's not over that bad of terrain — sage flats and wide, shallow ravines. But with a paved parallel route nearby, can't imagine ODOT will ever prioritize paving the southern segment.
I think ODOT wants to transfer OR 27 to the county and pick up that paved alignment, so I could see OR 27 moving west in the future.

bugo

The infamous Arkansas 220.

Has all of OK 144 been paved? It had gravel sections when it was commissioned/rerouted.

froggie

QuoteThere is probably an old thread on this, which I don't have time to look up right now, that will list some others.

We've had at least 3 threads on the forum:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1532.0 (2009)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11416.0 (early 2014)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13040.0 (summer 2014)

Plenty of examples in each.

dgolub

Quote from: texaskdog on April 23, 2015, 12:02:57 PM
Are there still a lot of them?  You'd think in 2015 they'd all be paved.

Of course there is AK 11.

If you include Canada, there's also the Dempster Highway (YT 5/NT 8), which is unpaved.

oscar

Quote from: dgolub on April 23, 2015, 07:18:47 PM
If you include Canada, there's also the Dempster Highway (YT 5/NT 8), which is unpaved.

If you stretched the topic to include provincial and territorial highways, you'll find a whole bunch of others in YT and NT (part of YT 4, all of YT 6, part of YT 9, all of YT 10, and parts of NT 1, 5, 6, and 7), a lot of minor numbered red-dirt highways in PEI, and some others in most or all the other provinces. The PEI routes underscore that unpaved highways in Canada are not limited to Arctic or other unpopulated areas.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bugo

Speaking of Oklahoma 144, it used to run from US 271 near Nashoba to US 259 near Bethel. It was rerouted to follow an old county road that was partially paved to end at US 259 in Octavia. The old section of OK 144 between Honobia and Bethel reverted to being a county road. The Honobia-Bethel highway is still a gravel road (unless it has recently been paved...) and a very wide and nice gravel road to boot. The Honobia-Octavia highway was in terrible shape the last time I drove it.

Indian Highway, which runs from OK 144 in Honobia to US 271 south of Talihina is an excellent candidate for a state highway. It is a nice 2 lane highway with good pavement markings and signage that looks like a state highway. It has plenty of curves and hills on it to make it a lot of fun. **FANTASY HIGHWAYS ALERT** Indian Highway and old OK 144 could be a southern extension of OK 82.

sandwalk

Colorado Highway 67

Unbeknownst to me, a 9 mile section between Sedalia and Woodland Park is gravel. Being new to the area last fall, some friends and I decided to take a drive through Pikes National Forest....in my new car. Thanks, Google Maps. haha

hbelkins

There's a five-mile stretch of KY 199 in Pike County that's gravel. And I think parts of KY 1679 (the Little Shepherd Trail) are still gravel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on April 23, 2015, 05:44:56 PM
Has all of OK 144 been paved? It had gravel sections when it was commissioned/rerouted.

It was fully paved about 10 years ago.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: froggie on July 26, 2014, 08:51:55 AM
There was a similar thread several years ago near the beginning of the forum.  There's some listed there, including a discussion on what the last unpaved US highway was.  The topic has also been brought up in other threads over the years.

To reiterate a few:

- Minnesota has one partially-unpaved state highway:  MN 74 north of Elba.  This stretch is on MnDOT's turnback (i.e. decommission) candidate list.

I know MN 243 to Caledonia & MN 65 through Nett Lake were unpaved too.  Not sure if they still are.

froggie

QuoteI know MN 243 to Caledonia & MN 65 through Nett Lake were unpaved too.  Not sure if they still are.

The former was MN 249...it was turned back to Houston County.  MN 65 was paved about 15-ish years ago.

cl94

Quote from: sandwalk on April 24, 2015, 12:32:32 PM
Colorado Highway 67

Unbeknownst to me, a 9 mile section between Sedalia and Woodland Park is gravel. Being new to the area last fall, some friends and I decided to take a drive through Pikes National Forest....in my new car. Thanks, Google Maps. haha

From what I can tell (and per GSV), the unpaved section is county-maintained as CR 67
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cjk374

I remember driving a few months ago and seeing a Louisiana state highway, numbered in the 3000s, that was dirt AND dead end.  :-o Now I hope I can find it again on GSV.

A few hours later...

Ok...I found LA 3239.  It seems to be paved in the middle of the whole route.  Here is the north end of the paved road:  https://www.google.com/maps/@32.080439,-92.143767,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqDE5NAcZ2TFpDlbFeG--mA!2e0 

Here is the south end: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.070974,-92.150377,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sII6uuYz0y93Y9Tylz24kIw!2e0

It's dirt, it's signed as a state road, but this one isn't a dead end.  I know I saw a dirt dead end state road.  I'm still looking.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Scott5114

Since one of the older threads got bumped by this topic's creator I decided to merge them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2015, 01:27:38 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 23, 2015, 05:44:56 PM

It was fully paved about 10 years ago.

Did they repave the whole highway from Honobia to Octavia? The last time I was there even the paved sections were in terrible condition.

mwb1848

NM 506 from US 54 to NM 24.

cenlaroads

Quote from: cjk374 on April 24, 2015, 04:42:56 PM
It's dirt, it's signed as a state road, but this one isn't a dead end.  I know I saw a dirt dead end state road.  I'm still looking.

Was it LA 1238?  It is gravel for its entire length and is in the same area of the state as LA 3239.  It's also unsigned.

Other unpaved state highways in Louisiana that I am aware of are:

LA 10 (only the portion from the Atchafalaya River to LA 77)
LA 77 (only the portion from LA 77 Spur to LA 10)
LA 973
LA 975

I think that there may be others in the Donaldsonville area, but I have not seen them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.