Thurbers Ave: first crossover diamond (DDI) in USA?

Started by johndoe, April 22, 2015, 07:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

Here is the location:  http://goo.gl/maps/vxpfy

I'm curious if any of you know more history behind this.  According to historicaerials.com this geometry was built between 1955 and 1963.  I'm surprised this geometry wasn't replicated in our country for another 50 years.  (Of course this is a partial example but I am still considering it a "DDI" because of the west signalized crossover).  Are there any more of these around R.I., etc?

NE2

No way is this a DDI. (But I don't count what are referred to as DDIs where the surface road only goes one way - those are pointlessly equivalent to diamonds.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

froggie

Brandon

Close, but not quite a DDI.  There's no westbound through movement that crosses over and again.  It might be considered a forerunner to the DDI, but not a DDI.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tradephoric

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.