News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Overhead Signs with External Exit Tabs?!?

Started by myosh_tino, August 06, 2015, 02:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrouse

Quote from: roadfro on August 12, 2015, 10:52:39 AM
^ I've got to think that they do. Nevada used monotube sign supports to mount their first real APL signs, which are HUGE. The standard truss wouldn't work with APLs. However, it seems (but I have no way to verify) that there would be less structural support against wind forces in the monotube design, especially with a large sign...

I have no idea whether Caltrans and NDOT use different monotube designs. I do believe, however, that NDOT's sign mounting is different. NDOT signs appear to be formed by a rigid steel frame (including exit tab) with sign panels riveted to the frame, then the frame is attached to the support structure. I think this negates the need for an exit tab mounting detail, but I'm not 100% certain.

Yes, if you look at the detail in their state Standard Plans, the sign panel frame includes the exit number tab.  Caltrans does use frames in some locations.  Using a frame requires a sign panel that wraps over the frame.  This would probably a bit more expensive than the thinner laminated sign panels that are placed onto mounting beams that are attached to the truss.

iPhone

TheStranger

Quote from: AndyMax25 on August 10, 2015, 08:18:02 PM
FYI I emailed Caltrans and the construction authority. I got a reply from the Presidio Parkway group stating "The contractor is aware of this issue and is investigating."

Got to drive the newly completed Presidio Parkway/Doyle Drive last night...the gore point sign at the Marina Boulevard exit was changed by last night to the correct number (exit 437) via number sticker, though the overhead exit tab still needs to be fixed!

Chris Sampang

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

pctech

Does this mean the Caltrans is planning to switch to external exit tabs in the long run? Are they going to eliminate the "flavor of the day" that seems to be the rule in CA. for the BGS? :bigass:

roadfro

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 14, 2015, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on August 09, 2015, 11:21:22 PM

What was in the blank space next to the CA 120 shield?

Total guess, but not sure that there was anything there. There's not an easily seen artifact of any prior sign elements (as there is with what may have been an "exit" panel to accompany the "only" panel by the right down arrow.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadfro on August 14, 2015, 09:58:54 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on August 14, 2015, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on August 09, 2015, 11:21:22 PM

What was in the blank space next to the CA 120 shield?

Total guess, but not sure that there was anything there. There's not an easily seen artifact of any prior sign elements (as there is with what may have been an "exit" panel to accompany the "only" panel by the right down arrow.

I looked at some of the historical maps at David Rumsey's site for pre and post completion of the Westside Freeway.  A portion of this section of the freeway was originally part of the former US 50 highway routing when it extended west and south of Sacramento into the Bay Area via Tracy.  Even back then, at this particular point of the highway, US 50 continued north and CA 120 had its western terminus here.  There was no other signed route in this area that was multiplexed with CA 120. 

So it appears that the big blank space on the sign was just a big blank space.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.