News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Guide signs that lead to same destination in 2 or more different directions

Started by peterj920, September 19, 2016, 04:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrsman

Quote from: Rothman on September 20, 2016, 09:20:00 AM
Quote from: wphiii on September 19, 2016, 05:24:21 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 19, 2016, 05:01:45 PM
Quote from: wphiii on September 19, 2016, 04:44:39 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 19, 2016, 05:08:10 AM
"Baseball Hall of Fame: Exit 24 or 17"

(I-88 in New York, westbound, exits are sequential)

This kind of stuff drives me up a wall. The "Camden Yards: Next 6 Exits" sign coming down I-83 into Baltimore is diabolical.

In case of Baseball hall of fame - problem is that there are many way to get there, but none of them is the road.
Google suggests 3 routes - exits 21, 24 and 25, pick any one. exit 17 would be going to Colliersville and taking north on rt. 28.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Albany,+NY/National+Baseball+Hall+of+Fame+and+Museum,+25+Main+St,+Cooperstown,+NY+13326/@42.7616787,-74.5327658,10z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x89de0a34cc4ffb4b:0xe1a16312a0e728c4!1m2!1m1!1s0x89dc072711fb2c8b:0x4c857db79bbf0385!3e0

NYDOT or whoever is responsible for this still ought to just pick one in each direction.

Business interests at the exits not chosen would throw a fit.  Have to remember that NYSDOT is a political organization and is therefore subject to influence from such fits.

Is each route clearly marked and is each route more or less equivalent in distance?  If that is the case, then there could be multiple exits to lead to the destination.

epzik8

Quote from: wphiii on September 19, 2016, 04:44:39 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 19, 2016, 05:08:10 AM
"Baseball Hall of Fame: Exit 24 or 17"

(I-88 in New York, westbound, exits are sequential)

This kind of stuff drives me up a wall. The "Camden Yards: Next 6 Exits" sign coming down I-83 into Baltimore is diabolical.
And here is the sign!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

machias

Kniwt

British Columbia has a few, all bannered with the oh-so-empowering YOUR CHOICE header. Here's one:

Kamloops Your Choice TC-1 East by Zach, on Flickr

mapman1071

Exit 29A & Exit 37A Northern State Parkway Westbound exits to I-495 West Both BGS New York
Exit 42 I-495 Long Island Expressway Westbound exits to Northern State Westbound Both BGS New York

mrsman

When there are two roads that go to the same destination, what else can one do but sign both of them for that destination?

If the two roads are really equivalent in getting there, then both should be signed to there.  If one is considerably longer, then it shouldn't be signed for the destination.

That being said, if two roads go to the same ultimate destination, but pass through two different destinations - then it is better to have both roads signed for the ultimate destination but each road singed for its intermediate destination.  One key example of this is I-5/170 in the LA area.  Currently, I-5 is signed for LA and 170 for Hollywood, but both roads go to LA.  I think a better control at this split would be:  I-5: Burbank/LA , 170: Hollywood/LA

PHLBOS

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this one yet.  Note (to those unfamiliar with the area): Port of Wilmington is not a separate municipality from the City of Wilmington.

The yellow LOCAL TRAFFIC and THRU TRAFFIC placards were added later.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

When you are this far west out of Denver on I-70 (35 miles +/- ), the word "Alternate" is not really appropriate -- they are pretty much your only choices at this point!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.