News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Places where there are more lanes than nessacary

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 24, 2017, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

I-391.  No one goes to Chicopee or Holyoke.  No one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: kennyshark on June 09, 2017, 12:26:32 PM
Quote from: pianocello on May 25, 2017, 12:34:08 AM

Similarly, I think I-75 between Flint and Saginaw, MI could have gotten away with only 6 lanes rather than the 8 that are currently there. I'm not too familiar with vacation traffic in that area, though.

That stretch of I-75 used to be 6 lanes.  However, all of the people escaping to Northern Michigan on Fridays and holiday weekends, and coming back on Sunday, probably prompted the other two lanes.  Plus, there's plenty of traffic for the Birch Run outlet shopping and Frankenmuth.
I remember when the first section of that was under construction. It started in 2002 and 2002 and 2003 were between I-475 and M-57, then 2004-2005 was between M-57 to about two miles north of the Birch Run exit, the third section was where they left off north of Birch Run to Bridgeport but that didn't happen right away it was a few years after 2005, then just within the last 3-4 years it was done between Bridgeport to two miles south of I-675 which is where it narrows down to six lanes again. The funny thing is that it's six lanes from that spot to just north of the Zilwaukee Bridge and opens back up to eight lanes again until the M-13 connector exit.

I know it might cost a lot of money to do but the thing they should do is rebuild a new Zilwaukee Bridge and then add the fourth lane south of the bridge to two miles south of I-675. It's ridiculous that you have to go down a lane only to pick that lane back up a few miles north.

Ned Weasel

How about those seven lanes on westbound I-80 in Omaha, just after I-480?  Granted, it's a short stretch, but I still wonder why they allowed so many lanes to converge rather than ending one or two of them in advance.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

midwesternroadguy

My vote is for the US 52 bypass of Rochester, MN.  It was reconstructed ~11 years ago from four lanes to six.  Still not necessary, as four lanes could handle traffic fine with current AADT.  In fact, the far left lane is worthless, as it is typically blocked by people using it as a through lane wishing to avoid dealing with people merging on the right side.  Four lanes could handle peak hour traffic just fine as I'm on it on a daily basis, in spite of Rochesterians saying the opposite since they don't know real metropolitan traffic congestion.  This was a pork barrel project delivered by a Republican administration to a Republican district.  The funds for this expansion could have been spent on projects with true capacity needs.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on August 24, 2017, 09:52:59 AM
I-391.  No one goes to Chicopee or Holyoke.  No one.
Are you sure about no one?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.