News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pedestrians Temporarily Prohibited After Signal Replacement

Started by Brian556, November 15, 2019, 05:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I just said "what the f***?" to myself when I saw this. The intersection of FM 407 (Justin Rd) and Highland Village Rd/Browning Dr has always had crosswalks and pedestrian signals. When the signals were recently replaced, they put No Pedestrians symbol signs on them instead of installing pedestrian signals. This was a month or more ago. Today when I drove through, I noticed that they were installing pedestrian signals on separate poles from the traffic signals. I also noticed that the No Pedestrians signs were made of plastic and had barricade rental company stickers on the back. My suspicion is that they encountered some kind of unexpected issue during construction of the new signal or something like that. Still, I say they should have left the old signals up and operating until they could get the new pedestrian signals installed. This intersection has little to no pedestrian traffic, but, still, I didn't think it was right to put up the no pedestrians signs.

DSC_0015 by Brian Kosich, on Flickr

corco

Agreed, and with no signed detour this violates the ADA anyway

Brian556

Quote from: corco on November 15, 2019, 05:56:07 PM

Flower Mound violates other rules. This includes using all-way stops at intersections that should have signals or two-way stops, and not using 36x36 stop signs for multiple lanes.

Mr. Matté

Isn't "no pedestrians" SOP pretty much for most PennDOT traffic signals (at least based on the number of signs I frequently see around intersections)?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brian556 on November 15, 2019, 06:41:59 PM

Flower Mound violates other rules. This includes using all-way stops at intersections that should have signals or two-way stops, and not using 36x36 stop signs for multiple lanes.

Neither are rules, at least per the MUTCD.

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 16, 2019, 06:23:29 AM
Isn't "no pedestrians" SOP pretty much for most PennDOT traffic signals (at least based on the number of signs I frequently see around intersections)?

There are way too many, and I'm surprised in an area like SE PA where there's a huge ped and bike movement that this doesn't get called out on more often.

Revive 755

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 16, 2019, 09:22:54 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on November 15, 2019, 06:41:59 PM

Neither are rules, at least per the MUTCD.

The 36"x36" stop sign requirement is a rule:

Quote from: MUTCD 2B.03Except as provided in Paragraphs 4 and 5, the minimum sizes for regulatory signs facing traffic on multi-lane conventional roads shall be as shown in the Multi-lane column of Table 2B-1.

Option:
04 Where the posted speed limit is 35 mph or less on a multi-lane highway or street, other than for a STOP sign [emphasis added], the minimum size shown in the Single Lane column in Table 2B-1 may be used.

05 Where a regulatory sign, other than a STOP sign [emphasis added], is placed on the left-hand side of a multi-lane roadway in addition to the installation of the same regulatory sign on the right-hand side or the roadway, the size shown in the Single Lane column in Table 2B-1 may be used for both the sign on the right-hand side and the sign on the left-hand side of the roadway.

Standard:
06 A minimum size of 36 x 36 inches shall be used for STOP signs that face multi-lane approaches.

Depending on the standards/laws in Texas, the MUTCD guidelines for multi-way stops may also be enforceable.

As for the signalized intersection at the start of this thread, I would consider it in violation of the MUTCD.

Quote from: MUTCD 6A.01 Paragraph 02The needs and control of all road users (motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians within the highway, or on private roads open to public travel (see definition in Section 1A.13), including persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Title II, Paragraph 35.130) through a TTC zone shall be an essential part of highway construction, utility work, maintenance operations, and the management of traffic incidents.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.