News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Directional Shields on Stop Signs

Started by Android, January 15, 2010, 07:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Android

Forgive me if this has been discussed here before, but I did a search and got no matches ( but it could be my choice of keywords was wrong ) 

The first 10 years of my life I lived in northern Illinois.  I clearly remembered seeing some stop signs somewhere in the rural counties south of Rockford that had a directional shield on them, making so you could only see them from straight on.  This was where side roads would meet a main road at an angle and at night from a distance it was hard to tell which road the stop sign was pointing at.   

I then lived 20 years in Colorado, and when I learned to drive, and then subsequently drove all over the state (and country), I noticed many similar intersections, particularly in the mountains, that really could use that sort of thing applied to the stop signs.  But when I'd mention this to people I knew out here, they'd never heard of what I was talking about.   So on a road trip back to Illinois and I encountered one of those signs, I made sure to stop and take a photo (below) of it so I'd have an example.    (I wish I had recorded where I took this photo.  It was at least 10 years ago though.  All I know is it was somewhere south or southwest of Rockford)

My question is - where else outside of N. Illinois can these be found?  Over the years, I've driven in like 44 states and 4 provinces and I do not believe I have ever seen any other examples like this.   I don't even know if there is a proper term for what I called a "directional shield" -other than perhaps, "blinders". 

Anecdotes or photos of other examples would be appreciated! TIA!

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bryant5493

^^ I've seen ones like that in the Google Streeview mightyace has provided, but none like in the first example.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mightyace

Quote from: Bryant5493 on January 15, 2010, 09:02:51 PM
^^ I've seen ones like that in the Google Streeview mightyace has provided, but none like in the first example.

Well, back in the day, the one's in Milwaukee had the blades too, except they were colored black.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Ian

I know about these signs. Blinders, direction shields, louvers, shutters, whatever you want to call them. Not too uncommon.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

ODOT has a few of these on Yield signs along the interstates in central Oklahoma. They've mainly appeared at merge points on cloverleafs where ODOT has inexplicably made the c/d road yield to one of the on-ramps (thus the sign must be placed where either direction could see it). In OK, the "blinders" extend the full height of the sign and are held in a triangular frame around the perimeter of the sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Used to be one or two along MO 7 west of Clinton, but don't remember the location
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 17, 2010, 12:44:26 AM
Used to be one or two along MO 7 west of Clinton, but don't remember the location

I think you sent me a picture of one of these signs for my old No-Frills page.  I recall you called it a "stop sign with sunglasses" or something like that.

hbelkins

I've seen them in southern Illinois but unfortunately never stopped to get a picture.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Going up US 63 thru the middle of Missouri, I would see alot of them on the county roads that would intersect with US 63.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.