News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Restaurant Chains that closed some markets and are much alive in others

Started by roadman65, September 28, 2012, 05:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: catch22 on May 11, 2020, 06:31:29 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 10, 2020, 08:16:23 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 10, 2020, 04:11:43 PM
The "breastaurant" genre, if you can call it that, is a weird one. I've never been into them and neither are my closer friends, but I knew quite a few people who were regulars at Brick House. Definitely a concept that works best in tourist destinations and college towns, given who they're targeting. Hooters is somewhere I go exactly once a year for their "all you can eat" wing deal when it is offered. Never been to Tilted Kilt or any of the others not named Brick House (which I was at once with a group).

I ate at a Hooters in Novi, Michigan around 10 years ago. The food was among the worst I'd ever come across, not "off-night"  quality bad, just pure low-quality crap. That included sampling quite a bit of what they had to offer as well. It all sucked.

About 20 years ago, the company I worked for then had one of their training centers in Largo, Florida just south of Clearwater.   At my first class there, one of the handouts  detailed all the local restaurants, one of which was the original Hooters on Gulf to Bay Boulevard just east of US-19.  Our instructor raved about this place and insisted we go there for lunch our first day.  I was less than impressed with the food and service and haven't been in one since.

Food isn't what drives people into a Hooters.  :-D

The original Hooters is the only one I've been in where we actually found the food to be actually ok!  We wound up visiting it when my flight leaving Tampa was delayed.  We considered going there, or further into the Clearwater area.  Thank goodness we didn't - As it turned out, the flight's departure time became not as delayed as first announced, so we had to hightail it out of there back to the airport.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 11, 2020, 01:56:14 AM
...I know there was one in Wethersfield in what was formerly a Bennigan's.  The nearest one now is in Sicklerville, NJ...

This is the one near me.  A friend of mine goes there way too often; knows all the bartenders - has their phone numbers; knows all the regulars at the bar as well.  The unfortunate thing is that nearly everyone eating/drining at the bar are all regulars, and there's rarely anyone elsewhere in the restaurant.  It operates like a local hole in the wall when it comes to their operation and the salty language (lol), but can't survive like that in its chain-restaurant format.  The owner also owns the Friendly's restaurant next door, so the money coming in from that is probably the only reason why the Kilt can continue to operate.  I'll have to ask my buddy if he's heard anything about reopening after the pandemic.

1995hoo

Quote from: ibthebigd on May 09, 2020, 09:42:50 PM
Frisch's Big Boy left Indianapolis but have several in Cincinnati

There's at least one in the Dayton area; technically, the town is Englewood. It's on OH-48 just north of the I-70 interchange.

Big Boy was called Bob's Big Boy in Northern Virginia. They've all been closed for years, but the legacy lives on because the Springfield slug line is commonly referred to as the "Bob's" line–in the evening, a driver pulling up to a slug line seeking riders to Springfield will typically say "two to Bob's." The name refers to the Bob's Big Boy that used to occupy a plot near the commuter lot.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 11, 2020, 08:35:11 AM
The "breastaurant" genre, if you can call it that, is a weird one. I've never been into them and neither are my closer friends, but I knew quite a few people who were regulars at Brick House. Definitely a concept that works best in tourist destinations and college towns, given who they're targeting. Hooters is somewhere I go exactly once a year for their "all you can eat" wing deal when it is offered. Never been to Tilted Kilt or any of the others not named Brick House (which I was at once with a group).

I ate at a Hooters in Novi, Michigan around 10 years ago. The food was among the worst I'd ever come across, not "off-night"  quality bad, just pure low-quality crap. That included sampling quite a bit of what they had to offer as well. It all sucked.

About 20 years ago, the company I worked for then had one of their training centers in Largo, Florida just south of Clearwater.   At my first class there, one of the handouts  detailed all the local restaurants, one of which was the original Hooters on Gulf to Bay Boulevard just east of US-19.  Our instructor raved about this place and insisted we go there for lunch our first day.  I was less than impressed with the food and service and haven't been in one since.

The original Hooters is the only one I've been in where we actually found the food to be actually ok!  We wound up visiting it when my flight leaving Tampa was delayed.  We considered going there, or further into the Clearwater area.  Thank goodness we didn't - As it turned out, the flight's departure time became not as delayed as first announced, so we had to hightail it out of there back to the airport.

...I know there was one in Wethersfield in what was formerly a Bennigan's.  The nearest one now is in Sicklerville, NJ...

This is the one near me.  A friend of mine goes there way too often; knows all the bartenders - has their phone numbers; knows all the regulars at the bar as well.  The unfortunate thing is that nearly everyone eating/drining at the bar are all regulars, and there's rarely anyone elsewhere in the restaurant.  It operates like a local hole in the wall when it comes to their operation and the salty language (lol), but can't survive like that in its chain-restaurant format.  The owner also owns the Friendly's restaurant next door, so the money coming in from that is probably the only reason why the Kilt can continue to operate.  I'll have to ask my buddy if he's heard anything about reopening after the pandemic.

I've never eaten at a Hooters. They used to have several locations in Michigan (including as far north as Traverse City), but most of them have closed. AFAIK, the only Hooters left in MI are in Flint and Saginaw (there might be one left somewhere in metro Detroit and/or in the Lansing area). Tilted Kilt had a few locations in MI, all in metro Detroit, but I think they've all closed.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on May 11, 2020, 10:36:37 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 11, 2020, 08:35:11 AM

I've never eaten at a Hooters. They used to have several locations in Michigan (including as far north as Traverse City), but most of them have closed. AFAIK, the only Hooters left in MI are in Flint and Saginaw (there might be one left somewhere in metro Detroit and/or in the Lansing area). Tilted Kilt had a few locations in MI, all in metro Detroit, but I think they've all closed.
There's one in Roseville and one in Taylor that's it though unless those two have closed. The one in Bay City closed a few years ago it was on the Saginaw River at the end of Midland Street. The one in Saginaw was relocated several years ago it use to be on Niagara Street also on the Saginaw River but moved to Kochville Township. I think there may have been a murder at the original Saginaw location which prompted them to relocate.

hbelkins

I've eaten at Hooters twice in my life, both instances were years ago when I was single, and went with a buddy of mine. I got nothing out of the experience. The food was overprices and wasn't very good at all, and I never got a thrill out of looking at scantily-clad women that I would never have a realistic chance of dating or having sex with because they wouldn't give a guy like me a second glance. I always tended to be a realist about things like that. That's the reason I never went to strip clubs or places with "exotic dancers" in my youth. It was just never my thing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I've heard that the food at Hooters isn't very good, but my co-workers have raved about their club sandwich–said, in fact, it's the best they've ever eaten.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2020, 02:34:44 PM
I've heard that the food at Hooters isn't very good, but my co-workers have raved about their club sandwich–said, in fact, it's the best they've ever eaten.

I haven't been to a Hooters in a long time. The one in Saginaw is about 10 minutes from me but it's never really appealed to me either. Buffalo Wild Wings is another overrated place. I had a $25 gift certificate there one time and went there to eat it wasn't all that. I think a lot of these chain restaurants are overrated.

Flint1979

The Hooters in Bay City closed last year is that when the other Hooters that closed closed also?

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 11, 2020, 02:53:36 PM
The Hooters in Bay City closed last year is that when the other Hooters that closed closed also?

Most of the others closed between 2009 and 2017

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2020, 12:58:46 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2020, 12:14:08 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on May 03, 2020, 11:22:19 PM
In Maryland, there used to be a bunch of Fuddruckers, but they all closed down recently, although still alive elsewhere.  I would now have to go to SE Pennsylvania (Lancaster or York) to get my Fuddruckers fix.

Also in Maryland, all the locations (at least four) of The Tilted Kilt have closed; the nearest one now is in Petersburg VA.

The Tilted Kilt is a restaurant with a bad vision. They would do fine in touristy areas or cities where there's plenty of single men. Instead they open up in suburban locations where a lot of families live. Many of their locations have closed, and the ones that remain open are busy at the bar but not in the seating area.
You can say that again.  People in Schenectady, NY were not happy when it popped up in a suburban area and it only lasted a year or two before it closed.
I'm wondering if some of it has to do with the murder of Heather Elvis, who was a waitress at a location down South.  She was likely murdered by a maintenance man she had hooked up with.

US71

Quote from: ftballfan on May 12, 2020, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 11, 2020, 02:53:36 PM

Most of the others closed between 2009 and 2017

Fayetteville, AR Hooters closed  several year ago after one of their (heavily inebriated) customers wandered out onto the highway and got run over...twice.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.