News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Shortest interstate merges

Started by STLmapboy, May 27, 2020, 04:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

In Frederick MD, the westbound onramp to I-70 at exit 55 used to be pretty nasty.  This ramp is much busier than the other 3 ramps at exit 55 due to the nearby exit 56 missing a westbound onramp (well, there is one, but for official access only).

It was pretty common during busy periods for vehicles to have to stop at the end of the ramp, wait for a gap, then gun it like there's no tomorrow.  Thankfully this situation is no more - as part of the bridge replacement carrying 70 over South Street and a CSX rail line, the mainline was widened from 2 to 3 lanes and the onramp continues as an auxiliary lane to exit 54.

Quote from: bing101 on June 19, 2020, 11:04:55 AM
Bay Bridge ramp is a carryover of US-40 and US-50.

I imagine a lot of the examples in this thread are a result of the I-designation being added later - for instance, my example above is because that stretch of freeway was originally the US 40 Frederick Bypass, which later became a part of I-70 (and then gradually updated to modern standards throughout the 2000's-2010's).  Same goes for pretty much all the PA examples.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.