What are those little ramps along the turnpike for?

Started by roadgeek01, August 17, 2020, 11:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadgeek01

Inspired by the thread about service plaza access roads, I have seen roads that cross the PA turnpike with what appear to be ramps that are not exits, and I am wondering what they are for.  I assume for emergency vehicles, but i want to confirm this.  An example is where I-76 crosses over PA-743.
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

KeithE4Phx

Ramps for heavy trucks to pull over on if they go out of control on a steep downgrade?  It's been over 30 years since I was there last, but I remember seeing a lot of those on PA freeways.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Ben114

We have those ramps in MA as well. The main purpose of these ramps is to help emergency crews respond to an emergency along the turnpike, where exits are far spaced.

cpzilliacus

Maryland has them on a few toll roads.  Here are a gated set on MD-200 (Intercounty Connector) at MD-115 (Muncaster Mill Road) in the Derwood area of Montgomery County. These are primarily for fire/EMS response, but can be used by police and MDTA maintenance vehicles as well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CardInLex

One on I-265 in Louisville too. The sign facing the ramp says something like "Activate Flashing Lights Before Entering Roadway"  

https://goo.gl/maps/34Mb5dD9yAgyzrNy9

hobsini2

Quote from: CardInLex on August 18, 2020, 08:11:36 PM
One on I-265 in Louisville too. The sign facing the ramp says something like "Activate Flashing Lights Before Entering Roadway"  

I suspect that is specifically for the Tunnel access to the southeast.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

wriddle082

Quote from: Ben114 on August 18, 2020, 12:09:10 AM
We have those ramps in MA as well. The main purpose of these ramps is to help emergency crews respond to an emergency along the turnpike, where exits are far spaced.

Every time I passed by one of those ramps near Worcester area last year, a Statie was hiding on it running radar.

hbelkins

Quote from: CardInLex on August 18, 2020, 08:11:36 PM

What's with all these Google Maps links that get posted that show an up close and personal view of the pavement?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 19, 2020, 11:35:38 AM
What's with all these Google Maps links that get posted that show an up close and personal view of the pavement?

I think it's when people share a link from their phone.  Not entirely sure of that, though.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadgeek01 on August 17, 2020, 11:34:09 PM
Inspired by the thread about service plaza access roads, I have seen roads that cross the PA turnpike with what appear to be ramps that are not exits, and I am wondering what they are for.  I assume for emergency vehicles, but i want to confirm this.  An example is where I-76 crosses over PA-743.

Here's a GSV for what you're referencing: https://goo.gl/maps/17FbhmdwsVc2o6Fq8

Yes, as others have mentioned it's specifically for emergency vehicles.  By panning over you'll see the access gate the nearby crews can get access thru.

Here's the GSV from 743 itself: https://goo.gl/maps/uuh2wr6RvxKE4X8j7

CardInLex

Quote from: kphoger on August 19, 2020, 12:41:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 19, 2020, 11:35:38 AM

I think it's when people share a link from their phone.  Not entirely sure of that, though.

Sorry! It is the link shared from the Google Maps app on iPhone. When I click the link it opens perfectly.

RG407

Last October a friend of mine and I went to Pennsylvania for a trip.  We were in Hershey and wanted to go to Philadelphia.  Apple's stock map app on the iPhone took us on what seemed like a long out-of-the-way routing through all sorts of back roads to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Except it took us to one of those access ramps.  It did the same thing to us in Delaware trying to get to I-495.  Google Maps got us back on track, eventually.

I've stuck with Google Maps ever since.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.