News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Same Destination for Different Directions

Started by webny99, March 11, 2021, 08:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

US 20 westbound in Sturbridge, MA
However, the sign at the actual MA 131 intersection clarifies things a little better.

Although not facing the same direction but at the same intersection/interchange: which way to Burlington (not the Coat Factory):
MA 62 eastbound exiting off US 3 southbound or US 3 southbound exit at MA 62?

A similar example for Peabody:
US 1 southbound exit at MA 114 eastbound or MA 114 eastbound exit at US 1 southbound?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2021, 10:32:45 AM
VDOT does the opposite in Chesapeake, VA. It signs Richmond on I-64 East rather than west, but either way you can get to the state Capital.

I-64 around Norfolk was always a little weird.  It goes around and changes direction, so you'd be hard pressed to find a cardinal direction posted in the area, because it is slightly ambiguous.  But you are right that going either direction would lead you to one of the bridge-tunnels and both routes eventually merge and head to Richmond anyway.

ran4sh

Quote from: webny99 on March 11, 2021, 09:42:00 AM

(Also, the I-469 and US 33 shields should be rotated so they're next to each other, with the words EAST and SOUTH on top of the shields. But that's another topic...)

This is true and it seems like Indiana now realizes that, objectively, the horizontal arrangement saves sign space compared to the vertical arrangement. But in the past it was always some sort of standard/guideline that shields on BGS would be stacked vertically with the directions to the right.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SkyPesos

Quote from: ran4sh on March 14, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 11, 2021, 09:42:00 AM

(Also, the I-469 and US 33 shields should be rotated so they're next to each other, with the words EAST and SOUTH on top of the shields. But that's another topic...)

This is true and it seems like Indiana now realizes that, objectively, the horizontal arrangement saves sign space compared to the vertical arrangement. But in the past it was always some sort of standard/guideline that shields on BGS would be stacked vertically with the directions to the right.
I forgot US 33 is signed N-S in Indiana until you mentioned it here, so was about to say "why are two directional banners needed when they're both signed E-W at that point". I'm so used to it being signed E-W like what Ohio, WV and Virginia at this point, does despite it being an odd number.

KCRoadFan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.