News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Junctions where you need to turn in the opposite direction to proceed on a route

Started by KCRoadFan, January 23, 2021, 02:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I'm following US 20 across the country - from Newport, Oregon to Boston - on Street View, and right now I'm making my way through Wyoming. When I do a GSV journey, I like to have a map of the area open on a separate tab in order to anticipate what the road ahead might look like. One thing I've found out is that a substantial portion of US 20 in western Wyoming - from Greybull to Shoshoni - goes mainly north-south. I saw that in Worland, which is in the middle of that stretch, travelers following US 20 east (that is, going south) have to make a right turn at the intersection in the center of town - thus, while going east, you're actually driving west on that particular section of road!

What other situations are there where, due to the trajectory of the road in that area, a driver has to turn in such a manner as to drive in the opposite of a given route's nominal direction in order to continue following that route? I'm sure there are at least a handful of examples of such throughout the country if you look hard enough.

SkyPesos

TheStranger

I-25 north from Santa Fe to Serafina goes mostly southeast.

I-80 east along the Eastshore Freeway heads slightly northwest between the MacArthur Freeway and Richmond.

I-280 south in San Jose runs slightly northeast from Meridian Avenue to the southern terminus at US 101.

Northbound Skyway Stage 3 in Manila's Santa Ana district runs a bit southeast between Pandacan and Santa Ana in Manila (while crossing the Pasig River) until it starts to follow the San Juan River east and then north.

When it existed south of Bishop, US 6 west continued south all the way to what was then Alternate US 101 along PCH in San Pedro, then continued east along southbound PCH to a terminus at the Long Beach Freeway.

Chris Sampang

hotdogPi

Quote from: TheStranger on January 23, 2021, 08:40:13 PM

I-80 east along the Eastshore Freeway heads slightly northwest between the MacArthur Freeway and Richmond.

I-280 south in San Jose runs slightly northeast from Meridian Avenue to the southern terminus at US 101.

Unless there's a TOTSO, you don't need to turn on an Interstate.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

TheStranger

Quote from: 1 on January 23, 2021, 08:42:46 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on January 23, 2021, 08:40:13 PM

Unless there's a TOTSO, you don't need to turn on an Interstate.
I-80 would still count due to the MacArthur Maze, right? At least westbound.

SM-G973U1

Chris Sampang

GaryV

US 23 on the south side of Toledo.

Technically, almost any cloverleaf ramp meets the definition. Heading nb and exiting to wb?  You will turn to the e, s, and then finally w.

thspfc

US-151 turns north while going southbound, and vice versa, at the corner of Proudfit and Shore in Madison.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.