News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Interstate has the Largest Change in Landscape and Culture on it's Route?

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 01, 2021, 05:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 02, 2021, 09:53:10 PM
I-175 (Florida)  :-D

Seriously, I wonder what the answer is for 3dis?

I-476 may be one to start with here.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hotdogPi

495 (NY), going from the largest city in the US to what feels like semi-rural New England (despite not being part of New England).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

SkyPesos

Most 3di are too short to compare in changes to the 2dis mentioned, but since I-476 has been mentioned already, I'll go with I-275 taking into account that a lot of people consider Ohio and Kentucky to be in different regions of the US, with the former as a midwestern and latter as a southeastern state. Also between rural and urban, I-275 seems like any other rural interstate on its southwestern side, but it's a busy suburban interstate on its northern side.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2021, 09:58:15 PM

495 (NY), going from the largest city in the US to what feels like semi-rural New England (despite not being part of New England).

As mentioned, I-476 (PA) could be a good candidate, and I'd include I-390 (NY) as well.

webny99

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 02, 2021, 05:53:28 PM
I always thought I-81 was an interesting bird.  Known as the Eastern Seaboard inland bypass, it connects Canada with New York. 

It begins in Tennessee.

I-81 covers a lot of different territory even within NY, with the areas north and south of Syracuse being fairly distinct regions.

It's on the fringes of the East Coast at points, but I'm not sure you could say it hits it from a cultural perspective. Probably the Harrisburg area would be the closest you come to the Bos-Wash sphere of influence, maybe Scranton a little less so. Neither one is close enough for me to consider it a true sample of the East Coast. And then once you get past Scranton, I-84 assumes the role of "inland bypass", although it's less effective than I-81.

roadman65

I-410 in Texas even though it's a loop. North end near the airport is urban like and has six or more lanes.  South end is rural with four lanes and little or no development.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

I-57 as it is just plain weird in MO.  It crosses over to hilly terrain in southern IL only to end up in Chicago.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 10:27:39 PM

As mentioned, I-476 (PA) could be a good candidate, and I'd include I-390 (NY) as well.

I-376 in Pennsylvania would also be a good candidate. And I saw someone else mention I-275 (KY-OH-IN).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

I also think I-20 shares a lot in common with I-10, but because it terminates in West Texas, it can't compare with the overall change in culture I-10 has.  It travels the heart of Dixie to Dallas, then through the West Texas plains to the West Texas desert.  I think culture wise, it never really leaves a bible thumping zone the entire way, just a different type of thumping of the bible. 

I am also fascinated with how I-20 piggybacks on I-10 to be a trans-continental route.  I can't think of another route that makes it's way 2/3rds of the way across the state then defaults on to another 0 or 5 to finish the job.  I-85 kinda does that, but it's a smaller scale, then again I-95's total length is a smaller scale than the trans-continental routes are.  I-29 also helps I-35 be border to border, but its more like half and half. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 03, 2021, 04:34:28 PM
I also think I-20 shares a lot in common with I-10, but because it terminates in West Texas, it can't compare with the overall change in culture I-10 has.  It travels the heart of Dixie to Dallas, then through the West Texas plains to the West Texas desert.  I think culture wise, it never really leaves a bible thumping zone the entire way, just a different type of thumping of the bible. 

I am also fascinated with how I-20 piggybacks on I-10 to be a trans-continental route.  I can't think of another route that makes it's way 2/3rds of the way across the state then defaults on to another 0 or 5 to finish the job.  I-85 kinda does that, but it's a smaller scale, then again I-95's total length is a smaller scale than the trans-continental routes are.  I-29 also helps I-35 be border to border, but its more like half and half.
I-70 piggybacks on I-15 south of its western terminus to form its transcon corridor, as most of the traffic on WB I-70 at that point are heading towards Vegas and Socal.

I-40 also piggybacks on I-15 south, but for a much shorter distance than I-70.

I-78 feels like a branch of I-70 into NYC, as it continues the trajectory of the latter route in the Midwesr really well.

After I-69 gets finished at least in every state besides MS and AR, it will effectively be an extension of the I-71 corridor, continuing the NE-SW trajectory of I-71 into cities like Memphis and Houston.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 03, 2021, 10:49:26 AM
I-57 as it is just plain weird in MO.  It crosses over to hilly terrain in southern IL only to end up in Chicago.
I wouldn't include it as it stays in the midwest for the whole time. Same with I-81, it's mostly in Appalachia.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 03, 2021, 05:50:14 PM
I wouldn't include it as it stays in the midwest for the whole time. Same with I-81, it's mostly in Appalachia.
Do you know the difference in culture in Southern Illinois versus Chicago?  The Sikeston, MO area is different in terrain and culture then just over the river into Illinois.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 04, 2021, 08:18:33 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 03, 2021, 05:50:14 PM
Do you know the difference in culture in Southern Illinois versus Chicago?  The Sikeston, MO area is different in terrain and culture then just over the river into Illinois.
I know, but it's not the largest change.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jmacswimmer

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2021, 02:46:44 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 10:27:39 PM

I-376 in Pennsylvania would also be a good candidate. And I saw someone else mention I-275 (KY-OH-IN).

I-270 (MD) probably isn't the winner, but I think it deserves mention.  Goes from the Lower Montgomery County-DC suburbia to upper Montgomery County-lower Frederick County rural rolling hills, before hitting Frederick suburbia at the very end.

I am also fascinated with how I-20 piggybacks on I-10 to be a trans-continental route.  I can't think of another route that makes it's way 2/3rds of the way across the state then defaults on to another 0 or 5 to finish the job.

This dives into fictional, but I always thought it would have been cool if instead of I-20 ending at I-10, it continued west in an overlap to Casa Grande AZ, with I-10 then following I-8's current route to San Diego and I-20 following I-10's current route to LA/Santa Monica.  If for no other reason than allowing I-20 to be a fully trans-continental route as you allude to. :nod: (Also FWIW, this hypothetical I-10/I-20 overlap would take the longest-interstate-duplex title away from I-80/I-90).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SkyPesos

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 04, 2021, 09:54:43 AM
This dives into fictional, but I always thought it would have been cool if instead of I-20 ending at I-10, it continued west in an overlap to Casa Grande AZ, with I-10 then following I-8's current route to San Diego and I-20 following I-10's current route to LA/Santa Monica.  If for no other reason than allowing I-20 to be a fully trans-continental route as you allude to. :nod: (Also FWIW, this hypothetical I-10/I-20 overlap would take the longest-interstate-duplex title away from I-80/I-90).
I had an identical idea a while ago, along with I-70 to Bay Area and I-80 to Portland reroutes, to get more x0 interstates to the west coast without being FritzOwl and building interstates where not needed.

Henry

Quote from: roadman65 on February 03, 2021, 09:49:40 AM
I-410 in Texas even though it's a loop. North end near the airport is urban like and has six or more lanes.  South end is rural with four lanes and little or no development.
I-695 in MD is the same way. From exits 2 to 36, it goes through lots of built-up residential and commercial areas (because after all, this is Baltimore which it serves), but the remainder of it, including the Francis Scott Key Bridge, has nothing but open country and large industrial parks. Hell, even when it does a short pass through the city, it's still industrial.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TXtoNJ

Well, originally it was the same thing in reverse - US 90 ended at US 80, the transcontinental route, in Van Horn.

The interesting bit to me is that I-20 is the more important transcontinental route past the divergence.

ethanhopkin14

Texas will have a long 3di (eventually) in I-369.  From Tenaha to Texarkana, there is exactly 0.00 change in landscape and culture. 

dvferyance

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.