News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Streets that change spelling

Started by US 89, January 22, 2021, 06:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

In the northeastern Atlanta suburbs, there's a fairly major arterial known as Clairmont Road. But as you follow it southward, in the city of Decatur it becomes known as Clairemont Avenue. Nothing about the name of the road changes except for the spelling.

This was the first time I'd seen anything like this. Are there any other examples out there?

tallfull

In Royal Oak, MI, there is a street named Marais Ave. As you follow it northward, there is a quarter-mile gap, then it starts up again in Clawson. Except in Clawson it is named Marias Ave.

GenExpwy

The classic example is US 1/9 in northern New Jersey. In the city of Jersey City it is Tonnele Avenue; when it leaves the city it becomes Tonnelle Avenue.

hockeyjohn

Alpena, Michigan had DeSoto Drive which was named after the old Chrysler auto division - adjacent streets were named Plymouth and Dodge Drives.    Sometime in the 1970s the city put up a new street sign at the eastern terminus calling it "Desota Dr", so the same street was signed differently at each end of its two block life.    I notice now that both ends are "Desota Dr" and all official current city and county tax records refer to it as such.

Crown Victoria

PA Route 61 is known at times as Centre Avenue or Centre Turnpike in Berks and Schuylkill Counties, including as it passes through West Brunswick Township (where it uses Centre Turnpike).

However, in Schuylkill Haven, it is Center Avenue.

WillWeaverRVA

US 250 in Goochland County, Virginia is "Broad Street Road" (two words). However, the segment of US 250 that briefly dips into Louisa County before returning to Goochland County is signed as "Broadstreet Road" (one word). (It becomes Three Notch Road when it returns to Louisa County for good.)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

briantroutman

In the Lehigh Valley, I-78 has a single off-ramp westbound leading to "Emaus Ave."  (pronounced ee-MAY-us), which is a generally diagonal road connecting Allentown with the suburb of Emmaus (two Ms). Street signs in the vicinity of the interchange and Google Maps corroborate that the spelling in this area is indeed "Emaus"  (one M). But farther northeast–roughly coincident with the point that the road passes out of the city of Allentown and into Salisbury Township–Google Maps shows the spelling changing to "Emmaus" . And several street signs seem to agree.

The spelling issue has attracted enough public attention that a Morning Call columnist decided to look into the origin of it.

Quote...the original spelling was Emaus, with a dash over the "m" to indicate the second "m" was understood. But as English and Pennsylvania Dutch became the common languages of the area, the dash was dropped and people began pronouncing the road -- and the borough -- as Ee-moss or Ee-mouse.

In the 1930s, German language purists urged that it be respelled Emmaus to bring back the proper pronunciation... However, Allentown council refused to change it in the city, ensuring the road's split personality

It's not exactly a spelling change, but on the street where I grew up, the local municipal government appears to be confused as to whether its name is one word or two. At one end, a street sign reads "BEECH  NUT  PARKWAY" , and at the other, "BEECHNUT  PARKWAY" . The USPS says it's one word, as does every map I've ever seen.

Nearby, the same township can't decide whether a road leading to that development is named "MAYBE  HILL"  or "MAYBEE  HILL" . A third sign (since replaced) introduced yet another variant: "MAY  BEE  HILL" . One of my elementary school teachers always joked that road, which has an 8% grade at one end, was named to reflect your prospects of successfully getting to the top of it in winter. Maybe you'll get up–and maybe you won't.

ftballfan

Abbot Rd in East Lansing, MI may have been Abbott Rd at one point as there are several signs that have a greened-out area where the second T in Abbott would be

JoePCool14

Here's one by where I live. Sanders becomes Saunders when you cross into Lake County. So it's a different spelling and pronunciation, but fairly close still.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Aw, rats!  I was hoping they'd have both street names stacked on one sign, but it doesn't appear so.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2021, 04:05:08 PM
Aw, rats!  I was hoping they'd have both street names stacked on one sign, but it doesn't appear so.

https://goo.gl/maps/gR6pW9EJA1pyfHWk9

Enjoy. :)

webny99

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 28, 2021, 04:07:03 PM

OK, this is veering wildly off-topic, but it's too bad the Bernie Sanders meme generator is a thing of the past... we could have had a lot of fun placing him in various locations: in the middle of the intersection, underneath that sign, or even underneath this one.

(Yes, you could actually do that... it used Street View based on the address you entered to create the background. I put him at my local Dunkin', the grocery store, and even on my own street, among other places.)

Rothman

On the border of Albany and Schenectady Counties, you have Allendale and Alandale Avenues (Central Ave and State St meet here, too).  Spelling changes because of the county line.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Setucket Rd. in Dennis, MA, and Satucket Rd. in Brewster, MA.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2021, 04:40:22 PM

OK, this is veering wildly off-topic, but it's too bad the Bernie Sanders meme generator is a thing of the past... we could have had a lot of fun placing him in various locations: in the middle of the intersection, underneath that sign, or even underneath this one.

(Yes, you could actually do that... it used Street View based on the address you entered to create the background. I put him at my local Dunkin', the grocery store, and even on my own street, among other places.)

You could always just make your own with copy & paste...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

The city of Des Peres, MO, seems to call it Lindemann Rd...

...but the city of Kirkwood is more in favor of Lindeman.

Who wins? You decide. Or Google Maps, as it just calls the whole thing Lindemann.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

JoePCool14

Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2021, 04:40:22 PM

Take your pick.  :spin:

I think my personal favorite might be the last one. He's not happy about his name being spelt wrong nor the Left Turn Signal being red.  :-P

roadman65

St Georges Avenue in Rahway and Roselle, NJ.   However Linden, NJ uses St. George Ave even when the street straddles Roselle's border. Same street location but spells differently.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Kaley Avenue is west of I-4 in Orlando but Kaley Street east of I-4.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.